REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If the moon was replaced with other planets - concept art

Space has always fascinated me, so this morning I was randomly looking up all kinds of stellar **** when I stumbled across this collection showing what our visual perspective would be on other planets based on their actual size and scale with the moon's placement.

Moon for reference -

Mars -

Saturn (crazy to think it could float on water) -

Jupiter -

For the rest of the planets - What If The Moon Was Replaced By Other Planets | Bored Panda

I really think I would piss my pants or something seeing a gas giant up close (let alone that big shiny thing the perfect distance away from our planet or any of the other inconceivably vast celestial bodies that make up our observable universe). Totally freak out, man.

Just thought I'd share.
Advertisement
riley_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
I want to see the Moon replaced with Earth
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

If your mind wasn't blown already...

Scale of Universe - Interactive Scale of the Universe Tool
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I'd still want to see the face of the moon covered in mirrors.

#selfiepics
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
pretty freaky to see that big ass thing staring at u at night... is like a giant head... i'll stick with the moon
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
as beautiful as jupiter & saturn would be to see in the night sky, id shit bricks
Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

we'd die in no time if those planets were that close...who knows what kind of crazy affect it would have on our gravity and water bodies.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
jupitar and saturn as moon looks like doomsday gonna happen, when both planets collide
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Actually, to me, this is cool, but doesn't blow my mind.
What blows my mind is if the relative distances to everything and the scale of humanity.

Just think about how far we are away from the sun.
Now consider LA and Whistler as a comparison.
The distance between Whistler to LA, it's 2,100km.
And the summit is only about 2km above sea level.

The Mach 1, the speed of sound is 1,236km/h.
So at the speed of sound, it would take a little under 2 hours to travel that distance.
Yet consider the temperature difference!!!

In early spring, you can run around LA in a t-shirt all day.
At the summit of whistler, I doubt you could last an hour at the peak in a t-shirt without some serious body damage.

That's a bit of human frailty right there.

Now consider the distance we are from the sun.
At Mach 1 from Whistler to LA takes 2 hours.
At Mach 1, from the sun to the earth it would take 13.8 years!!!

And the sun is just a burning ball of fire in space.

Think about a campfire.
Stand right next to it, it's hot as hell.
Take 3 steps back, and it's comfortably warm.
Take another 3 steps back and you can't even feel it at all.

Now scale that up to the sun and the earth. Almost 14 years!
Now think about 2 hours from LA to whistler.

Just trying to juggle the scale of that makes my head hurt.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts
bro...
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,401 Times in 5,673 Posts
Wouldn't earth be jupiters moon? Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
You guys are high, right?

This is totally a conversation you have when you are high.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Actually, to me, this is cool, but doesn't blow my mind.
What blows my mind is if the relative distances to everything and the scale of humanity.

Just think about how far we are away from the sun.
Now consider LA and Whistler as a comparison.
The distance between Whistler to LA, it's 2,100km.
And the summit is only about 2km above sea level.

The Mach 1, the speed of sound is 1,236km/h.
So at the speed of sound, it would take a little under 2 hours to travel that distance.
Yet consider the temperature difference!!!

In early spring, you can run around LA in a t-shirt all day.
At the summit of whistler, I doubt you could last an hour at the peak in a t-shirt without some serious body damage.

That's a bit of human frailty right there.

Now consider the distance we are from the sun.
At Mach 1 from Whistler to LA takes 2 hours.
At Mach 1, from the sun to the earth it would take 13.8 years!!!

And the sun is just a burning ball of fire in space.

Think about a campfire.
Stand right next to it, it's hot as hell.
Take 3 steps back, and it's comfortably warm.
Take another 3 steps back and you can't even feel it at all.

Now scale that up to the sun and the earth. Almost 14 years!
Now think about 2 hours from LA to whistler.

Just trying to juggle the scale of that makes my head hurt.
to add to that, it takes the light from the sun 8 minutes to reach us..

that's 299,792,458m/s, converted to kph, that is 1,079,252,848 km/h

that is whistler to LA in 0.000000000527 seconds

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
You guys are high, right?

This is totally a conversation you have when you are high.
Wait! dude. Dude. DUDE! Wait.

What if...the oceans were land...and the land were oceans?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,880 Times in 908 Posts
Quote:
Wait! dude. Dude. DUDE! Wait.

What if...the oceans were land...and the land were oceans?
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
That means theres more land than water : 0
Posted via RS Mobile
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

if even one of those replaced moon.. Earth will be no more.. Or un inhabitable.. That said.. Wasn't Saturn or Jupiter visible from north America recently
Posted via RS Mobile
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #18

FYI.

Let's talk Jupiter for a moment.
Jupiter has 67 moons.

It's largest moon, ganymede has a radius just shy of 1/2 of the Earth's.

4 of the moons make up almost all of the orbiting mass.

Europa, it's the 4th largest moon is slightly smaller than our own moon.
Though most of the surface is made water and ice, it has an oxygen rich atmosphere and believed that it is oceans below the surface.
This means that while is it possible we may find signs of bacterial life on Mars.
Europa might be our first and best chance of finding a more complicated non-terrestrial organism.

How's that for mind blowing?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
The "You'd Know" Moderator

The more of this stuff you think of, the more depressing it is.

It takes 8 minutes for the sunlight to reach the earth. Therefore, if there's a supernova at this moment, you will not find out until 8 minutes later.

Although the Earth has an illiptical orbit around the sun, our seasons are due to the axial tilt so even that few degrees of tilt is making a huge difference in terms of weather.

The closest Earth-like planet is 22 light-years away: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_g Let's assume our telescopes are powerful enough to discover a civilization on it and assuming that civilization has similar technological advancement as us, 1) all we are looking at are images of this civilization from 22 years ago, 2) we will never be able to physically reach them in our life time, and 3) if we were to send a message to them through a signal and provided that the signal would not be distorted on its way there, a) it would take 22 years for the message to reach the destination and the civilization may have been wiped out already, and b) when the message does reach the destination, that civilization you saw in your telescope are already 44 years older.

If you are still not depressed yet, here's another news flash: the Andromeda galaxy is on a collision course with our Milky Way galaxy. Unless we develop some kind of warp technology, we are doomed. Actually, we will probably be doomed even sooner when our existence on Earth relies so much on the Earth's stability that we cannot survive every catastrophe that the Earth can survive, for example: a super volcano erupting, a large asteroid crashing or even the moon being half destroyed by a large celestial object.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
The more of this stuff you think of, the more depressing it is.

It takes 8 minutes for the sunlight to reach the earth. Therefore, if there's a supernova at this moment, you will not find out until 8 minutes later.

Although the Earth has an illiptical orbit around the sun, our seasons are due to the axial tilt so even that few degrees of tilt is making a huge difference in terms of weather.

The closest Earth-like planet is 22 light-years away: Gliese 581 g - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Let's assume our telescopes are powerful enough to discover a civilization on it and assuming that civilization has similar technological advancement as us, 1) all we are looking at are images of this civilization from 22 years ago, 2) we will never be able to physically reach them in our life time, and 3) if we were to send a message to them through a signal and provided that the signal would not be distorted on its way there, a) it would take 22 years for the message to reach the destination and the civilization may have been wiped out already, and b) when the message does reach the destination, that civilization you saw in your telescope are already 44 years older.

If you are still not depressed yet, here's another news flash: the Andromeda galaxy is on a collision course with our Milky Way galaxy. Unless we develop some kind of warp technology, we are doomed. Actually, we will probably be doomed even sooner when our existence on Earth relies so much on the Earth's stability that we cannot survive every catastrophe that the Earth can survive, for example: a super volcano erupting, a large asteroid crashing or even the moon being half destroyed by a large celestial object.
Bummer.

Who invited Debbie Downer?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Bummer.

Who invited Debbie Downer?
knowledge is power !

I would rather be aware of our demise then live blind-folded
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley_ View Post
knowledge is power !

I would rather be aware of our demise then live blind-folded
...by the time our neighboring galaxy crashing into ours becomes our number one threat after:

war
starvation
climate change
extreme weather
nuclear waste
plagues
asteroids
aids
apocalypse
Bieber entering Rock n Roll hall of fame
earthquakes
volcanoes
alien attacks
Riots

...then we can devote effort to preventing it.

Not to mention, that in terms of sheer time, you will have long turned to dust. Along with your children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. And their children. But his kids are gonna be screwed.

I think you can relax about the galactic effects of galaxy impacts.

Last edited by Gridlock; 05-23-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: SRS..I don't even smoke the marijuanas and I feel like I'm high.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #23

Mind. Blown.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
First thing I thought of when I saw this.. You can literally drive across the world!
typ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #25
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts

...my brain hurts
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote