REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 05-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Line Cooks (15 minute/lunch break)

I have a friend that works for a local Moxies as a Line Cook. She told me that she doesn't get any lunch or 15 minute breaks during a 6-7 hour evening shift. Is this common practice within the industry? Please chime in if you've worked in a restaurant kitchen.

Thanks!
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I remember back when I used to work at Earl's, for the first 3 years, I never went on lunch break (30 mins), or coffee break (5 mins).

Can't speak for the other restaurants, or even other Earl's establishments, but when I was working on line, we'd be running things pretty lean (only keeping as much staff as absolutely necessary). Part of this means sacrificing "luxuries" like breaks so that the rest of the team doesn't get killed. I didn't make a big deal about it.

Whether or not it's legal or whatever, that wasn't even a thought. I wanted to help the guys I worked with.

edit: just to add, my shifts weren't often 8 hours. 7 to 7.25, if I remember correctly, would be the average, and then I would get cut or there would be nothing left to do.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Its illegal to not take breaks however I know there are exceptions to that rule, don't know if restaurant industry is one of them
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
i usually run expo at night, try to give the guys a break when theres slow times, if not we all truck through it together
Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
I don't get it

Legally after 5 hours of work you're entitled for a 30min lunch. Couldn't tell u much about the restaurant industry though
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
I don't get it

32. (1) An employer must ensure

(a) that no employee works more than 5 consecutive hours without a meal break, and

(b) that each meal break lasts at least 1/2 hour.

(2) An employer who requires an employee to work or be available for work during a meal break must count the meal break as time worked by the employee.

The Employment Standards Act is crystal-clear on this, an employer who doesn't give you a meal break after five consecutive hours is breaking the law. This is not the US where you can work 12 hours without a break.

In addition, there are no exceptions, every industry in BC is subject to this rule as far as I'm aware. Definitely contact the Ministry of Labour Employment Standards Branch, the only reason this goes on is because people don't speak up for their rights.

For the record, employers are not obliged to give coffee breaks.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I work mornings/lunch at a restaurant right now. My shifts are between 5.5 and 8 hours and I never take a break. It's not really a big deal, we usually run the kitchen with 2 (maybe 3) people cooking/prepping at once so its tough for one person to leave for 30 minutes.

Last summer I would work lunch/dinner. The only time I would take a break is if I got caught up on my prep after the lunch rush. I'd sit down to eat from 4:30pm-5pm and then start dinner.
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

The 30 minute meal break is unpaid
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

it is very common in the food service industry. a lot of times when its busy and your stacked with work, you don't really get a chance to sit down and eat your meal. as for working 8hrs. try 9-10hrs if needed. its a team based environment, a lot of guys don't leave for break until they finish their task.

2008 TSX 6spd
2002 WRX - gone
2008 Honda Civic - gone

My Feedback
triplexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
I have a friend that works for a local Moxies as a Line Cook. She told me that she doesn't get any lunch or 15 minute breaks during a 6-7 hour evening shift. Is this common practice within the industry? Please chime in if you've worked in a restaurant kitchen.

Thanks!
Of the 5 years that I've worked for Moxie's I've never taken a lunch break where you sat down and have a meal. You kinda just eat on the fly and steal a bite when you can. Thats just how the industry rolls.
soymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #11

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
I currently work at Milestones as a line cook, so I'll pitch in

We get a paid smoke break (10-15 min, for smokers) and/or a meal break (20-25 min) whenever we want (at least 3 hours in, and all we do is ask), unless there's a huge rush going on and we're needed on the line. We can go for our break immediately after the rush though
I work 5-6 hour days the majority of the time, and usually by the 4th hour I go for a smoke/meal

Moxie's sounds retarded, no bias
Old 05-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Its standard restaurant behaviour. Its not legal, but neither is anything any restaurant does to their employees. I work 9 hours usually at work, and its just become normal for none of us to take breaks even though no one minds. Theres too much shit to do, and I'd rather leave half an hour earlier. We all kind of graze throughout the shift so its not like we are starving.
Coles notes:
Don't work in a kitchen.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
No offense to anyone, especially the OP and his/her friend but the saying goes, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Despite having breaks when I worked at McDonald's when I was younger, it was tough and I knew I couldn't handle it. I couldn't tough it out and knew right away the restaurant business wasn't my thing. Then I see my family in Los Angeles scrambling orders for CBS Studios on a daily basis for catering -

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ Nah, I'm not offended at all, and neither is my friend complaining, in fact, she finds that being a Line Cook here is easier than where she's from (12-16 hour shifts). I was curious to know if how she was being treated at work was commonplace.

I have new found respect for those who work in the kitchen, it's definitely not a job for most people.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Yeah, 12 - 16 hour shifts is overkill. But it takes a real tough cookie to be able to withstand those kinds of working conditions/hours. Big kudos to those who can rough it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
lets be real, the only reason why she isn't getting a 15 minute break is mostly because she is probably too scared to ask for one.... Also, if it's super busy, they need her on line.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
depends on the shift, if you are working evenings obviously it is alot busier and with the dinner rushes its expected that everyone works through them.

like posted above there can be alot of downtime and yes everyone in the kitchen will make themselves snacks while in the back, the reason 15 min breaks are given is so there arnt huge rushes that cant be handled because someone feels like sitting in the back texting while bills are running long.

if you do need a break you would obviously say you need to go on a break. all this comes with a balance though, kitchen jobs can be really fun, but they are stressful!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
So much sweating during the summer months in the kitchen. Whole body felt like a sweaty asshole.

I'm thankful I never worked on an oven or grill station. I would've lost my shit.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #19

12-15 shifts is pretty average once you get to salary level.
triplexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
RS controls my life!

10-12 hrs days r pretty common in hotels kitchen if ur at non union place that is....