REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

oh first world problems.. I live in china now and everything i eat, touch, breath is genetically modified/chemical induced/carcinogenic lol. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I haven't died yet
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,813 Times in 8,188 Posts
BTW if you didn't bother to watch this because of the length, I urge you to check it out. It speaks not only on the idiotic fight against GMO, but how following such conspiracy theories blindly can be really damaging to the world.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
How about 3D printers printing out steaks assembled with pork cells?

Stuff like this will be a nesacarry evil down the road
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The "selective breeding" you mentioned that occurs in nature, gives the specific bred a natural advantage over others, and that specific genes tends to spread throughout the whole species.. eg breeds of dogs we get would not occur in the wild.. eg Great Danes or Pugs. While humans bred animal for their own amusement and needs.

I still awaits what the OP defines as GMO etc first.

At this stage, we know method of raising organism affect taste (organic, greenhouse etc) of the food more than GMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
But the method of selective breeding occurs in nature. With a broad definition like that, it would seem like every organism is GMO.

There are other methods of altering DNA, for example, with a virus.

I kind of figured that's what you were implying with that question.

Last edited by godwin; 05-27-2013 at 04:13 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Organic food is great but comes at a price. Land is scarce, we are expanding, we need cheap food.

Speaking from a purely scientific background, unless the genetic modifications make the plant over-produce some natural carcinogen (none that I can think of right now) or toxin, all that's really happening is overproduction of the reproductive organs/fruiting bodies -- don't see a problem with that.

I'm curious, is there any argument against GMO aside from the supposed negative effects on humans (i.e. wiping out native plant species by successfully competing for resources)?

If I give someone a genetically modified tomato and an organic tomato, the body's processes to break it down will be the same -- the only difference being one will simply have more plant mass. As a consumer I'd be more worried about the soil conditions and fertilizers used to grow a plant than its genetic make-up. Plant DNA/cellular material is all going to be destroyed/broken down by the time it reaches the stomach anyways.

/rambling
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^You know, heating water in a microwave is bad too, because it changes the water's DNA and mutates into something else.

True story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #32
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Water doesn't have DNA .....

Spoiler!

TL;DR -- we all die someday.
#yolo, buy cheap fruits and put regular gas in your premium requiring car, more money for beers and weed.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #33

Not native per se, but Monsanto seeds are more resistant to weeds.. so they can crowd out traditional seeds at extreme conditions.

The thing is there is nothing truly "natural" about being agrarian ie farming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
I'm curious, is there any argument against GMO aside from the supposed negative effects on humans (i.e. wiping out native plant species by successfully competing for resources)?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #34

I wonder if we have opened OP's mind, and she is off doing research, or if she has just abandoned this thread due to logic overload
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #35
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Mark Lynas was a founder of the anti-gmo movement and recently apologized for it. About a three trillion GMO meals served worldwide and no hard evidence of negative side effects. Following the footsteps of Patrick Moore... UBC grad who founded Green Peace and left the group when they became anti government. I recommend Youtubing his speeches and interviews as well.

A founder of the anti-GM food movement on how he got it wrong - The Interview - Macleans.ca

Spoiler!

What do you do when "leader" changes his mind? lol
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
What do you do when "leader" changes his mind? lol
Actually real leaders are those who change their minds based on facts vs ideology and fess up. Horrible leaders are those who insist the world is flat even if the facts tell them otherwise. One of the problem I see with the modern leadership / world is every leader is on the pedestal and are not allowed to admit they are wrong.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #37
VLS Head Mod

These are all good points I've listened to everyone of them as this thread was created to get discussions going.
Until their are long term studies that are done by others with no vested interested on what this does to humans I'm going to try and eat non gmo when I can. I just became aware of what a gmo was not too long ago so still in the infancy stage in knowledge about and limiting them in my diet..
I did think this episode was good. Even the tv doctors admit no one knows what this does to humans and that peanut allergies are on the rise and could potentially be in part thanks to gm. Video Library

We all make our own choices and yes gm could be a good thing but I liken it to steroids being given to animals, I want to eat as natural foods as I can so my choice is to say no to gmo
The Economics of California's Genetically Modified Food Bill - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)
http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/f...fact-sheet.pdf

ScienceDirect.com - Food and Chemical Toxicology - Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #38

It's good that you looked more into it, and while I think there's no reason to avoid it in terms of health, it doesn't harm anyone or spread misinformation to do so.

The main thing I guess is, that you realize that lumping together shitty corporations with a method of growing food is not a good idea. If you ever decide to protest or march against Monsanto, leave GMO itself out of it.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #39
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
I used to think that GMOs were the worst things you could put in to your body. Over time, I did more reading (intentional and non-intentional) on the subject. and came to realize that GMOs aren't necessarily bad. I mean a fair percentage of the food we've been eating for the past couple of decades have had some sort of GMOs in them (soy and corn being the top two), yet we as humans are hitting all time highs for lifespan.

My opinion on the topic is that GMOs have helped us a lot more than it has harmed us (if it has at all). The main purpose of creating GMOs has always been to improve the original. GMOs crops are easier to harvest, are more resistant to pests and other natural annoyances, and in some cases, are even more beneficial to our health by including nutrients it wouldn't naturally possess.

It's just that Monsanto is linked to GMOs, and as stated by others in this thread, their unethical practices has sort of painted a bad light on the subject.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

I think what added to the fear were things like injecting fish genes into a tomato. I would liken it to playing god, and stem cells research.

No one knows what'll happen, but there's only one way to find out. It's good that over time nothing has gone wrong.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #41

Quote:
I think what added to the fear were things like injecting fish genes into a tomato. I would liken it to playing god, and stem cells research.

No one knows what'll happen, but there's only one way to find out. It's good that over time nothing has gone wrong.
That's just religious nonsense - the easiest protests of all to dismiss.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Although i am not a fan of GMOs, i think they are here to stay. I am concerned about longterm use and exposure and i don't like the idea of people messing with natural food.

The only thing i would like to see is proper food labels. This way the consumer can avoid these products should they choose.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #43
VLS Head Mod

Skinny pupp why do you have to act all high and mighty like your opinion is the only one that matters, you sound like such a cocky arrogant asshole. This was a thread for discussion about this topic, not for you to jump in like you do among many other threads and act like your way is the only right way

Putting fish genes into a tomato, putting genes in that will repel rodents from eating them or putting genes in that will make foods resistant to pesticides needs further studies on long term effects on humans... There is one long term study out that there that shows large tumors on rats.. If this is true and gmos cause cancerous tumors, infertility, other health problems, wreck havoc on the soils and environment then I don't want this around... My biggest points are that it should be labeled so people can choose whether or not they ingest this and more studies done by people other than the biotech corporations
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #44
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
That's just religious nonsense - the easiest protests of all to dismiss.
Many people are religious. Policies are made based on what most people think, hence our vote for politicians.

Sure it may be nonsense, but I'd like to see you make your arguments against all of them to set them straight. There's where the real challenge lies.

Last edited by DragonChi; 05-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
Skinny pupp why do you have to act all high and mighty like your opinion is the only one that matters, you sound like such a cocky arrogant asshole. This was a thread for discussion about this topic, not for you to jump in like you do among many other threads and act like your way is the only right way

Putting fish genes into a tomato, putting genes in that will repel rodents from eating them or putting genes in that will make foods resistant to pesticides needs further studies on long term effects on humans... There is one long term study out that there that shows large tumors on rats.. If this is true and gmos cause cancerous tumors, infertility, other health problems, wreck havoc on the soils and environment then I don't want this around... My biggest points are that it should be labeled so people can choose whether or not they ingest this and more studies done by people other than the biotech corporations
Posted via RS Mobile
I didn't say my opinion is the "only one that matters" I said that I dismiss religious arguments when it comes to science.

Don't get all upset about this, it has nothing to do with you or anyone else here. All I have been doing is posting the argument that it makes no sense to be against GMO just for the sake of being GMO. If you want to do this however, go for it!

You're the one who is coming across as not accepting arguments, calling me names and getting all upset. So because my opinion differs from yours, I am a "cocky asshole"?

You posted this to make a discussion about the topic. However when people discuss it, you resort to getting all upset and calling names. There is no 'right way' to believe something. There is logical and illogical. If you want to be illogical, fine. Like I said, it's not going to hurt anyone if you illogically decide not to eat GMO food. My only point was ever that you should not lump in a technology with a shitty company that everyone knows is shitty.

As for banning GMO itself, the world is changing, and we are going to have to change things to accommodate. If we hold back those changes because some people think it's immoral and everyone should live by their morals, we are doomed.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #46
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
to me it seems alot more ignorant to be all over GMO's and seemingly not concerned at all with practices such as fish farms etc.

killing and endangering entire species seems much more of a concern then producing 8-10% better yields on corn..
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #47
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
if needed points/ bans will be awarded
I think this here ^^ set the thread off on a negative foot.

I think that most people who ventured into this thread don't need to be warned before we post. We all get the rules of RS...we don't need it constantly slapped in our faces.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #48
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
without GMO we wouldn't have big macs & double cheeseburgers.

Therefore, i support GMO
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #49

I agree with that sentiment.. it strikes me as Michelle Bachmann/ Tea Party esque.. where one want to press a point based on one's own belief rather than scientific facts. I still wait for the OP to respond with her definition of "altered" DNA.

I also find it ironic that a mod is having a spat with the programmer who made the board possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I think this here ^^ set the thread off on a negative foot.

I think that most people who ventured into this thread don't need to be warned before we post. We all get the rules of RS...we don't need it constantly slapped in our faces.

Last edited by godwin; 05-30-2013 at 11:04 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #50

We play God all the time.. eg one of my grad studies was the laser out neurons of little worms to help create mathematical models so we can understand the brain more. In fact I would argue, basic research (ie research that doesn't have any immediate tangible results eg CERN's LHC) we are all trying to be God.

The thing about injecting "fish genes" into tomato.. they still need to conform to the ATGC construct, the way I think about it is cutting and pasting instead of typing in an a Shakespeare play by hand.. which way would you think would cause more errors? Some of the rice we eat every day are cross bred with wheat (so they require less water).. in nature that would not happen too... much like salmon genes in tomato. You can't really pick and choose because just because it is salmon genes it doesn't smell fishy.. it still follow the ATGC rules.

Quote:

Last edited by godwin; 05-30-2013 at 11:23 AM.