REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   China is embarrassed by its tourists behavior (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684562-china-embarrassed-its-tourists-behavior.html)

El Bastardo 05-27-2013 07:19 PM

China is embarrassed by its tourists behavior

http://i.imgur.com/gnjL8VH.jpg

Quote:

Chinese tourists are making their mark on the global tourism industry—literally. The picture above is a relief etched 3,500 years ago in Egypt’s Luxor Temple in Egypt.

More recently, someone added the characters “Ding Jinhao was here,” as documented by an ashamed Chinese traveler who posted his photo to Sina Weibo. “We want to wipe off the marking with a towel,” the traveler wrote. “But we can’t use water since it is a 3,500 year-old relic.”

Ding, who turned out to be a 15-year-old from Nanjing, was quickly found out via Sina Weibo research. His parents have since apologized.

A tour guide surnamed Zhang told QQ (link in Chinese) that he “had never seen this sort of behavior from tourists,” and that “until recently, the Chinese tourists going to Egypt were relatively few, and their character was relatively good.”

“There’s a lot of this kind of uncivilized behavior out there,” said Zhang. “Take for example the sign outside the Louvre Museum only in Chinese characters that forbids people from urinating or defecating wherever they want.”

This is all the more alarming given the rapid rise of Chinese tourism overseas, boosted by new wealth and ever-improving exchange rates. Some 83 million traveled abroad in 2012, up from just 10 million in 2000. Reports of Chinese tourists behaving badly generally include spitting, littering, ignoring traffic laws and speaking loudly. Children are another issue: reports abound of tourists letting their children defecate in public pools and urinate in the middle of restaurants.
China is starting to get embarrassed about its tourists? obnoxious behavior abroad ? Quartz

:heckno:

StylinRed 05-27-2013 07:23 PM

that egyptian one was done by a teenager supposedly when he was in elementary school and was repaired already according to egypt stating it was superficial damage (from an rss feed i read)

China is now the #1 country in terms of tourists abroad so it's no surprise there will be a lot of stories of people hating chinese tourists

it was the same for the USA as well everyone hated an American tourist

dinosaur 05-27-2013 07:25 PM

*eagerly awaiting bcrdukes' comment*

EuterVanWasser 05-27-2013 07:27 PM

It's ignorant nonetheless. Even as a brain dead 15 y/o myself I can't say I would have done something like that [Let's be honest, I was too busy chasing boobies!].

Any way, the kid deserves some significant public service as a result imo.

Culverin 05-27-2013 07:47 PM

Public service for the country where he messed up sounds about right since this is an international issue. That is, assuming China is actually serious about it.

bcrdukes 05-27-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8247436)
*eagerly awaiting bcrdukes' comment*

Sorry, I've moved on from the past. My candidacy to become a moderator is at stake. Please don't jeopardize my chances. Thanks.

bcrdukes

Sid Vicious 05-27-2013 07:58 PM

while theyre at it, they should be embarrassed by their immigrants too

StylinRed 05-27-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuterVanWasser (Post 8247439)
It's ignorant nonetheless. Even as a brain dead 15 y/o myself I can't say I would have done something like that [Let's be honest, I was too busy chasing boobies!].

yeah but the kid in question was supposedly 12/13 at the time even younger than a brain dead 15yo :)

i don't know i can easily forgive a kid for doing something stupid but im surprised that he was able to get away from his parents long enough to do that lol

godwin 05-27-2013 08:11 PM

Busted!

Their version of RS Beat Down crew is more effective! I would imagine Dr. Mike would have gotten his money back + interest + free car long long time ago!

China's 'human flesh search' hunts down teen vandal ? The Register

Angry online mob identifies shameful defacer of 3,000 year-old Egyptian relic
By Phil Muncaster

Posted in Networks, 28th May 2013 03:05 GMT
The full ire of China's army of online vigilantes known as the "human flesh search engine" was last week focused on a 15 year-old boy who vandalised a priceless 3,000 year-old Egyptian relic.

The Chinternet periodically gets in a right tizz when something or other is posted online and so it was when pictures of the now infamous graffiti appeared on Weibo last week.

Sparking user fury, it had been reposted 90,000 times in just 10 hours as the human flesh search engine sparked into action.

To be fair, the rather unoriginal graffiti - "Ding Jinhao was here" - gave them a pretty good lead. So it was less than 24 hrs after the pic first appeared online Ding's parents were shamed into contacting their local newspaper.

According to the Global Times they apologised to the Nanjing Modern Express that the errant middle school student hadn't been properly educated, and pleaded that society just give him another chance.

Although the maximum penalty in Egypt for graffiti-ing ancient relics is 6-12 months in the slammer or a fine of around $20,000, the incident does raise questions about the morality of an internet mob hunting down a minor.

The so-called human search engine, mobilising as it does the huge numbers of internet users in China, has been used to good effect in the past for exposing local government corruption and other rather more laudable aims.

However, it's only allowed to be effective as long as Beijing deems it useful and the authorities have no qualms about strangling online campaigns at birth if they are thought to be dangerous to the Party. ®

Nabatron 05-27-2013 08:21 PM

I can't believe that kid did that in general but to do it in say a country like Egypt! Surprised he wasn't reprimanded severely!
Posted via RS Mobile

BurnoutBinLaden 05-27-2013 08:24 PM

I hear a lot of stories of wealthy Chinese travellers spitting, urinating or defecating in public. I don't know how true those stories are.

godwin 05-27-2013 08:31 PM

hahah elderly newlyweds

Chinese behaving badly

As international travel rises, so do complaints about conduct of 'uncivilized' Chinese tourists abroad

BY JONATHAN MANTHORPE, VANCOUVER SUNMAY 27, 2013

As the number of Chinese tourists has soared from almost nil a few years ago to a world-leading 83 million last year, so has their reputation for rudeness and objectionable behaviour.

Their image is so bad that hotels from Thailand to Paris will not accept Chinese tourists, and the Beijing government is planning to introduce in October a law to regulate travellers' behaviour.

At a recent national conference on the coming tourism law, one of China's four vice-premiers, Wang Yang, lamented the "uncivilized behaviour" of some Chinese tourists.

Their displays of lack of "quality and breeding" have "damaged the image of Chinese people and caused vicious impact," Wang said in a report published by the government-run People's Daily newspaper.

"Improving the civilized quality of the citizens and building a good image of Chinese tourists are the obligations of governments at all levels and relevant agencies and companies," said Wang.

It's unclear how the Chinese law can be applied to tourists abroad. But a state-controlled newspaper, Global Times, quoted a tour operator as saying "It would be helpful to have legal grounds when communicating with clients about their behaviour in the future, giving us some power to restrain them."

Wang, a former Communist party boss of Guangdong province bordering Hong Kong, said the main complaints against Chinese tourists are "talking loudly in public places, jaywalking, spitting and wilfully carving characters in scenic zones."

People around the world who have contact with Chinese tourists report many other pieces of unseemly behaviour including not flushing toilets, ignoring no smoking signs, flouting traffic laws, littering, elbowing their way to the front of lineups, and allowing children to urinate or defecate in public.

But this is all undoubtedly a passing phase that stems from China's rapid growth from being a largely peasant society to the world's second largest economy by some measurements.

It is not as though it is a unique phenomenon.

When the United States' postwar economic boom allowed middle class Americans to go globe-trotting, their behaviour quickly became the object of anger and derision.

The Ugly American tourist became a caricature who only travelled to reinforce his or her suspicion that the rest of the world was a dirty and threatening place.

The only safe way for an American to travel, so the generalization went, was within five minutes drive of the nearest Hilton hotel.

For the most part this clichéd national image has faded with the Americans' years of experience of foreign travel.

But the Chinese are just at the beginning of this cycle.

Chinese tourists spent an estimated $102 billion last year, but some of these nouveau riche lack any sophistication to cushion the impact of their wealth.

They have become used to their money getting them what they want and can become loud and angry if thwarted.

In this, their behaviour abroad is the same as their behaviour at home.

At a more benign level, some apparently rude behaviour by Chinese tourists is simply from ignorance of local customs rather than arrogant self-regard.

There are, for example, reports of tourists in theatres in Europe and North America angering fellow members of the audience by fiddling with their glowing iPads during the performance. But often these people are simply following the plot of the performance in Chinese, something that is acceptable at home.

Many Chinese tour companies now give their clients briefings on local customs and behavioural dos and don'ts in the destination countries to try to avoid such culture clashes and the inevitable stain on the national image that follows.

This cannot obscure the fact that some activities by Chinese tourists are purposeful.

Resort hotels in the Indian Ocean nation of idyllic tropical islands, the Maldives, are a favourite honeymoon destination. But competition is stiff from other equally alluring places such as the Seychelles and Mauritius.

So hotels in the Maldives often offer special incentives to honeymooners such as bottles of champagne in the room, free spa visits and romantic sunset dinners.

But a Hong Kong newspaper has reported that some Chinese travel agencies are supplying their clients with fake new wedding certificates in order to take advantage of these freebies.

Genuine honeymooners report their romantic experience being debased by the company of loud elderly "honeymooners" with equally loud grown-up children and even same-sex newlyweds, even though such unions are not legal in China.

And it is probably better to draw a veil over exactly why all brothels in Tokyo's famous Yoshiwara red light district are imposing a blanket ban on Chinese customers because of "cultural differences."

jmanthorpe@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Mike Oxbig 05-27-2013 08:33 PM

It's true.

Funny thing is when they squat and smoke while spitting in public, most of them are carrying everything Louis Vuitton. :hat:

inb4 skinnypupp

tegra7 05-27-2013 08:35 PM

China should be more embarrassed by it`s residents.

StylinRed 05-27-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8247490)
I hear a lot of stories of wealthy Chinese travellers spitting, urinating or defecating in public. I don't know how true those stories are.

it's true

go to chinatown its the same (with hongers) except for the defecating part but you can add shooting snot out of their noses like a gun

subordinate 05-27-2013 09:01 PM

It might not be just the Chinese, but man, blowing your snot/nose right on to the sidewalk. Ugh

Culture_Vulture 05-27-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8247465)
while theyre at it, they should be embarrassed by their immigrants too

I lol'd

iEatClams 05-27-2013 09:13 PM

There's another article I posted in another thread that relates to this :

Quote:

The dire manners and "uncivilised behaviour" of some of its tourists are harming China's image overseas, a top official said.

Vice-Premier Wang Yang singled out "talking loudly in public places, jay-walking, spitting and wilfully carving characters on items in scenic zones".

Improving the civilised quality of the citizens [is] ... the obligations of governments at all levels VICE-PREMIER WANG YANG
Such bad manners were "often criticised by the media and have damaged the image of Chinese people and caused vicious impact", he said, according to the People's Daily website.

At a meeting on a new tourism law on Thursday, Wang said: "The quality and breeding of some tourists are not high yet."

As people get richer, foreign holidays are ever more popular. Destination countries, including debt-laden European states, have been easing visa restrictions to attract more tourists from China, but reports have emerged of complaints about etiquette.

A mainlander who had her son relieve himself in a bottle in a Hong Kong restaurant sparked online anger in February.

"Improving the civilised quality of the citizens and building a good image of Chinese tourists are the obligations of governments at all levels and relevant agencies and companies," Wang, a former party chief of Guangdong, said.

Authorities should "guide tourists to conscientiously abide by public order and social ethics, respect local religious beliefs and customs, mind their speech and behaviour … and protect the environment," he said.

Under the new Chinese law, travel agencies will be allowed to revoke their contracts with tourists who "engage in activities that violate social ethics", although it does not specify examples.

Hong Kong Travel Industry Council executive director Joseph Tung Yao-chung welcomed Wang's remarks. "I hope they [mainland tourists] really listen to state leaders. It is no use if they do not listen," he said. Not only the travel sector, but other areas such as retail and food and beverage would benefit, he said.

Some commenters on SCMP Facebook doubted Wang's remarks would have any effect.

Sara Jane Ho, principal of Beijing's Institute Sarita, China's first high-end finishing school, said: "Most Chinese do not behave this way on purpose … They grew up in a generation of basic survival; you don't have the luxury to think about manners and personal space when trying to fight to the front of the food ration line."

Dire manners and 'uncivilised behaviour' of tourists is harming China's image, admits VP Wang Yang | South China Morning Post

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-27-2013 09:22 PM

sample comments from chinasmack.com lol

they are originally chinese posts... translated from chinese to english.

Quote:

Comments from QQ:

21g

In the future, write in Japanese.

腾讯北京市网友 Shannon (in response to above)

Doesn’t matter what language is used, you’re a shame to all humanity either way.

Don’t just blindly feel ashamed. What was carved was Chinese characters, but it may not necessarily have been carved by a Chinese person! There’s a box of Chunghwa cigarettes on the ground, but it may not necessarily have been littered there by a person of China!

腾讯网友 270418380 (in response to above)

You really know how to find excuses, don’t you!

腾讯网友 □Joуfμl (also in response to 284512657)

No wonder China is like this. precisely because there are too many unbelievable people like you, who always blame the problems on others/think it is other people’s problems.

腾讯网友天边的彩虹

People who don’t admit their wrongs are even more shameful.

成都市 畫、冭羙

My god, talk about having no character/decency. He must have finally got the chance to travel somewhere and thus wrote this, definitely a diaosi.

腾讯网友漂流瞬间 (in response to above)

There is no definite correlation between character and wealth. Diaosi do not necessarily all lack good behaviors and upbringing. Gao fu shuai too are not necessarily all people of elegant and noble behavior.

新欢

I’m speechless. Just because a fellow national carved a word on other people’s stones, you guys want to drive this fellow compatriot out of the country? Is face more important, or is our unity more important?

腾讯网友 阿吱大猫 (in response to above)

You are an 2B. Evaluation complete.

腾讯网友ぃ糯米潴

Our Chinese nationals love doing things like this. Look at the pavilions in parks, the larger bamboo stalks, trees, rocks. As long as it is somewhere that can be written on, what place isn’t a mess of graffiti, even the toilets? That’s why now it has to begin from ourselves, stop doing these kind of unethical, uncivilized, harmful things!

腾讯网友 活生

What an international embarrassment. As a Chinese, I feel extremely mortified at this moment.
it's funny reading the china smack chinese translated comments. we are exactly like each other.

4doorVIP 05-27-2013 09:34 PM

the pharaoh by MM Design

T4RAWR 05-27-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8247498)
it's true

go to chinatown its the same (with hongers) except for the defecating part but you can add shooting snot out of their noses like a gun

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8247512)
It might not be just the Chinese, but man, blowing your snot/nose right on to the sidewalk. Ugh

its called "farmer's blow" or "farmer snotting"

basically you plug one nostril and blow out the other as hard as you can.

funny cause i learned how to do that from a white dude. :lawl:

its something that we usually do out in the "woods" as kleenex and tp is hard to come by.

sometimes you just blow into your hand and wipe on the nearest convenient object, i.e. moss, trees, your jeans, etc...

as for the OP, the power of the internet never ceases to amaze me. :fullofwin:

twitchyzero 05-27-2013 10:10 PM

just got back from taiwan last week which used to be very isolated in terms of tourism...now dem china tourists everywhere...I can see where the annoyance that HK residents have against the mainlanders stems from....I should be glad there's still strict laws and they weren't trying to buy up the milk formula or use up the hospital resources for childbirth.

In the end I'm sure these "uncivlized" behaviour (public uriniation/shitting) will go away in 20 years time when a new generation of Chinese tourists are ushered in

stewie 05-27-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8247493)
Many Chinese tour companies now give their clients briefings on local customs and behavioural dos and don'ts in the destination countries to try to avoid such culture clashes and the inevitable stain on the national image that follows.

they should also be giving this information out to those who come to live here as well...

2 weekends ago I watched an Asian lady let her child squat down in front of a bush at an outdoor public pool concession while the public bathrooms were literally 20 feet away from her.

im tired of walking down streets and have someone (generally older Asian men) walking towards me, maybe 10-15ft away and spit/blow a snot rocket directly in my line of walking making me have to walk around it....I don't keep quiet about that, whether they can understand me or not, I lip them off and give them a piece of my mind as I walk past them.

in the first post it said

Quote:

"Reports of Chinese tourists behaving badly generally include spitting, littering, ignoring traffic laws and speaking loudly. Children are another issue: reports abound of tourists letting their children defecate in public pools and urinate in the middle of restaurants."
last Wednesday I went for an anniversary dinner at seasons in the park, i was seated no more than 10 feet from a rather large group of older Asian people who seemed to be talking louder than the person beside them. its like they were fighting to see who could speak louder.
on sunday I went for brunch down in kits with the gf, theres a big sign saying "be respectful to the other diners". started out as a nice perfect brunch, large group of LOUD Asian kids came in..they got dirty looks from everyone, the waitress (its a small mom n pop type diner, and as far as I know shes one of the owners) didn't even bother setting their cutlery/plates and napkins...just left them in a pile on their table. eventually some rocker looking dude told the kids to be quiet...it lasted for about 3 minutes before they started laughing and then back to squaking at each other like an annoyingly loud exhaust on a shitbox car.

someone needs to teach them common manners, cause it sure seems like most of them don't know any.

its funny cause a friend showed me this today, and I can see a lot of people doing these things, and its pretty bang on. all these things are annoying and piss me off.
33 Unwritten Rules Everyone Needs To Follow

bcrdukes 05-27-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4doorVIP (Post 8247554)
the pharaoh by MM Design

:lawl:

Culverin 05-27-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8247478)
Posted in Networks, 28th May 2013 03:05 GMT
The full ire of China's army of online vigilantes known as the "human flesh search engine" was last week focused on a 15 year-old boy who vandalised a priceless 3,000 year-old Egyptian relic.

Although the maximum penalty in Egypt for graffiti-ing ancient relics is 6-12 months in the slammer or a fine of around $20,000, the incident does raise questions about the morality of an internet mob hunting down a minor.

Either parents are held accountable to the actions of their children.

Or people are going start finding that accountability themselves.

I don't think you can have it both ways.