REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Big 3 messing up engine

I'm a first year apprentice for starters. I know the purpose of "the big 3", I've done it to all of my vehicles with no ill side effects, but has infact helped with dimming lights, faster engine cranking and weather its in my head or not... better fuel economy on one of my lifted trucks. A subaru came into my work the other day with a siezed alternator (huge stereo in the back) and he starts flipping out about the "extra wires" and how "stereo technicians are NOT mechanics" and how audio installers are constantly fuckking up peoples vehicles. He automatically assumes the 1/0 is what caused the alt to burn out so he starts cutting and removing it all!!! I tried to explain to my boss, but called me an idiot if I would ever concider doing a big 3...

We all know the alternator died due to the stereo, not the wiring.

Any of your guys have a different take on this?? I'm a believer in upgraded wiring, but being told "engineers chose that wire size for a reason" excuse is bullshit
Advertisement
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
for anyone who doesnt know what the big 3 upgrade is , it is:

1. negative battery wire to ground - just replace the negative batt. terminal and wire and ground it to the factory location
2. engine block to ground - replace the ground wire from the engine block to the chasie with a bigger wire (maybe 4 guage)
3. alternator to batt - add a fused wire from the postive post on you alternator (the one comming from the battery) to the postive terminal on your battery.
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
the big 3 is supposed to take a bit of the load off the alt. but it won't save the alt if ur running a powerful system. the big 3 only makes ur stereo more efficient

he burned out his alt because :
1) he prob didnt have a second batt to feed the stereo
2) his system is far too powerfull for the stock electrical system to support
3) his alt was useless in the first place

theres really no other reason his alt should burn out kuz of a stereo system.

usually guys with powerful systems run both a second alt and a separate bank of batts to feed the system so that nothing would fail.
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 View Post
I'm a first year apprentice for starters. I know the purpose of "the big 3", I've done it to all of my vehicles with no ill side effects, but has infact helped with dimming lights, faster engine cranking and weather its in my head or not... better fuel economy on one of my lifted trucks. A subaru came into my work the other day with a siezed alternator (huge stereo in the back) and he starts flipping out about the "extra wires" and how "stereo technicians are NOT mechanics" and how audio installers are constantly fuckking up peoples vehicles. He automatically assumes the 1/0 is what caused the alt to burn out so he starts cutting and removing it all!!! I tried to explain to my boss, but called me an idiot if I would ever concider doing a big 3...

We all know the alternator died due to the stereo, not the wiring.

Any of your guys have a different take on this?? I'm a believer in upgraded wiring, but being told "engineers chose that wire size for a reason" excuse is bullshit
That's pretty fucked. I don't think your boss understands how electrical works.

It's like saying changing the OEM tires to high performance tires will ruin your car. Yes the manufacturer designed the car to be one way but does not mean things can't be improved. Look at all the performance add on's for cars.

Your boss sounds like a thick skulled old school mechanic that only sees his way. I personally wouldn't want to ever go there. Mechanics are just that...mechanics, not very good with electrical.

I've worked with tons of mechanics, very few are good at electrical AND mechanics.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Lol! I would have asked your boss:

So if a light bulb is connected to a switch and a battery with 18 gauge wire, and a separate isolated circuit has same set up with 0 gauge wire, would the 0 gauge bulb draw more current and blow?

He's most certainly an old school mechanic who sees things one way and isn't open to change.
Posted via RS Mobile
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
God forbid you actually get a good ground to your battery! He should go back to school or retire.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
That's pretty fucked. I don't think your boss understands how electrical works.

Your boss sounds like a thick skulled old school mechanic that only sees his way. I personally wouldn't want to ever go there.
And that is exactly why I quit just after posting the original post. You nailed it. He's old school, and is not open for discussion or suggestions. He is very good at diagnosing mechanical failures, but electrical he truly sucks at.
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

For his alternator to burn out from his stereo he ignored his tell tale signs of weak electrical. Dimming lights, killing batteries.to me a high powered stereo would be 2 btl's,2 kicker solo x's pushing 5000+ watts which i doubt he's running. His altenator just crapped out. You add the fuse from the battery to your amp not altenator.btw
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by rust1d; 06-24-2013 at 09:19 PM.
rust1d is offline   Reply With Quote