REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Private auto insurance (Optional Coverage)

Who do you guys use for your optional coverage and how much do you save over ICBC?

Is it a hassle to deal with if something happens?
Is there a good provider (ie. Is TD better than Kantix?)

Any and all help rewarded with thanks!

edit: My insurance agent does not sell third party insurance - she only promotes ICBC. Where can I go for a one stop shop? Any RS'ers private auto insurance brokers?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Been with coast which uses northern shield. Used to save money now it's about the same vs. ICBC. Although more benefits with Coast.

The hassle is you deal with two companies ICBC and your third party insurer.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

i have allwest for my optional coverage.

what's good is they were cheaper than icbc at the time when i bought it, also they give u 200 cash if u ever have a claim with icbc. thus i upped my deducible to 500 (from 300) with icbc and saved even more.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Not really a hassle.. When you get into an accident, 3rd party usually get the shop to send info of damages etc. Digital technology makes claim centre mostly obsolete. Everything done over the phone will be recorded, so be calm and collected before you call. I find 3rd party insurers more generous with car rentals etc.

BCAA is probably the most convenient (1 stop shop). For me who also moves cars around from time to time.. their service is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Who do you guys use for your optional coverage and how much do you save over ICBC?

Is it a hassle to deal with if something happens?
Is there a good provider (ie. Is TD better than Kantix?)

Any and all help rewarded with thanks!

edit: My insurance agent does not sell third party insurance - she only promotes ICBC. Where can I go for a one stop shop? Any RS'ers private auto insurance brokers?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^ What if you run into some noob agent who estimates a low-ball total write off and gives you 25-30% less than market value and you end up going back and forth with them for a while?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgman View Post
^ What if you run into some noob agent who estimates a low-ball total write off and gives you 25-30% less than market value and you end up going back and forth with them for a while?
Isn't that what happens at ICBC too?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I find usually it is the more seasoned agents who would do what you suggest.

The shop usually provide the balancing force in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgman View Post
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

bumping this because I'm looking again.

Are there any big brokers that deal with companies like Candian Direct ,TD, Family, ICBC, Coast , BCAA all in one shot? or do I have to go to all the individual companies myself?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I searched for private optional insurance and found that icbc has the best rate in my situation. I have 13 years of accident free history so my optional insurance discount is over 43%.
I had private insurance in the past, when there was a significant price difference, but I think those days are long gone.
Posted via RS Mobile

Edit: thanks for bumping this thread. I contacted all west for a quote since I didn't know they sold auto insurance.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #10

Coast is an authroized agents for icbc so thats two birds. Everyone else probaly seperate.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveth View Post
I searched for private optional insurance and found that icbc has the best rate in my situation. I have 13 years of accident free history so my optional insurance discount is over 43%.
I had private insurance in the past, when there was a significant price difference, but I think those days are long gone.
Posted via RS Mobile

Edit: thanks for bumping this thread. I contacted all west for a quote since I didn't know they sold auto insurance.
I think I may be similar to you. So are you saying there is no point to even looking? What about better benefits as someone mentioned?

Do post how all west compares to YOUR icbc rates.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

OK well I finally got around to calling them for a quote. I'm paying 1728 yearly with icbc. Allwest quoted me 1509 for the exact same policy. I'll be going into there north van office on Friday on my way back from whistler to talk to them in person and transfer my insurance over if everything is correct.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
I'm currently buying my third party through coast (Cdn Northern Shield). Saving about $220 ish. A few perks like one free tow/roadside assistance & something else that I can't remember right now.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: