REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 06-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
New code of conduct for wireless providers - no more 3yr contracts for Canadians!

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – The CRTC has unveiled the new code of conduct for wireless providers and it’s going to make things a little easier for you.

The regulator isn’t banning three contracts, but is giving you the ability to bail on your agreement after two years without cancellation fees. This change will bring Canada more in-line with rules in the US, where most contracts last two years.

It is also putting limits on the extra data and roaming fees phone companies can charge you. The data charge cap will be $50/month and the international data roaming cap will be $100/month.

The changes will also allow you to have your cell phone unlocked after 90 days, or right away if the phone is fully paid off.

“The wireless code will contribute to a more dynamic marketplace by making it possible for Canadians to discuss their needs with service providers at least every two years,” says Jean-Pierre Blais, Chair of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.

You will also be allowed to return your cell phone within 15 days and specific usage limits if you’re not happy with the service. The regulator also says you will “receive a contract that is easy to read and understand” and be able to “accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract.”

The new guidelines will come into effect for new contracts on December 2nd.

New code of conduct for wireless providers | News1130

CRTC Link: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t13.htm
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am sure the big 3 will come up some kind of sepcial cancellation fee such as administer fees, handling fees etc etc.......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
The upfront price will just be higher. Instead of $150 for three year contracts, it'll be $250 for two year contracts. And they'll probably cut you off for data once you hit the $50 domestic/$100 international cap.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
And they'll probably cut you off for data once you hit the $50 domestic/$100 international cap.
Yep, the main point of it is to prevent people from "accidentally" chewing through roaming data while abroad, or locally.

I love how cynical Canadian consumers have become. This is a good thing, guys.

Quote:
1. Early cancellation fees – General

i If a customer cancels a contract before the end of the commitment period, the service provider must not charge the customer any fee or penalty other than the early cancellation fee. This fee must be calculated in the manner set out in sections 2. and 3. below.

ii When calculating the time remaining in a contract to determine the early cancellation fee, a month that has partially elapsed at the time of cancellation is considered a month completely elapsed.

2. Early Cancellation fees - Subsidized Device

i When a subsidized device is provided as part of the contract,
a. for fixed-term contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, for the lesser of 24 months or the total number of months in the contract term, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period.
b. for indeterminate contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, over a maximum of 24 months, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period.

ii When calculating the early cancellation fee,
a. the value of the device subsidy is the retail price of the device minus the amount that the customer paid for the device when the contract was agreed to; and
b. the retail price of the device is the lesser of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price or the price set for the device when it is purchased from the service provider without a contract.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I am sure the big 3 will come up some kind of sepcial cancellation fee such as administer fees, handling fees etc etc.......
Well they will most likely say this code only take in effect for new contracts only which they have done many of times those MOFOS
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
Well they will most likely say this code only take in effect for new contracts only which they have done many of times those MOFOS
Code clearly stated it applies to new contracts starting dec. 2 and on.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
RS controls my life!

What the CRTC's wireless code means for you

MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
More inter-forum coverage here:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68480...contracts.html
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
I don't get it

rogers and telus have both done away with contract cancellation fees anyways. (they have a hardware reimbursement payback program or something along those lines) so how does this affect any of their customers? imo, this doesnt change anything, at least for me since im a rogers customer.
Cassijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Translation: "I want the latest, greatest bling for the lowest price possible, so I'm just going to sign whatever they ask me to sign without bothering to read the fine print or even the large print... oh look, my new toy!"

- 6 months later -

"Damn, something newer... I WANT IT! Wait, what do you mean it'll cost me? Contract, what contract? THREE YEARS? THAT'S NOT FAIR, I'M BEING ROBBED! My wireless provider is evil for suckering me into this... yes, I see it's there in big bold letters, but I didn't have time to read all that! SOMETHING MUST BE DONE! Oh wise and powerful CRTC, please protect me from my own impulses by forcing the big bad telcos to tie their own hands!"

Here's the really retarded thing - I mean, this is going FULL RETARD - about everyone whining about three-year contracts: THAT'S NOT THE ONLY OPTION. NEVER HAS BEEN. I don't know about others, but Telus has offered the options of one, two, or three-year contracts, or NO contracts, for at least a decade. BUT, of course, you have to pay more for the phone... and everyone wants it for free, so they go for the three-year deal. Yet somehow this is the provider's fault??

You know what will be next, right? Car financing. Used to be you couldn't finance more than 36 months... then it was 48... 60... now 72 or even up to 96 months. "Wow, you mean I can get that brand new QX56 for only $200 every two weeks? Sign me up!" - four years later - "Wow, this car is so OLD, I want something new... hey, what do you mean I still have to pay for this for another four years?! I don't want it anymore! Oh great and powerful government, you must do something about this!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: