REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Employment Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/employment-resources_154/)
-   -   [Confidential] Moving to Fort Mac, would you do it? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684828-%5Bconfidential%5D-moving-fort-mac-would-you-do.html)

LC21 02-04-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8410761)
what a fucking roller coaster.

I just moved back to Vancouver, and Pason called me for a job/interview.

4 on 4 off in Calgary 60k a year.

I can't even handle myself right now that I actually have to refuse this job.

While you were in alberta what were you doing?
Posted via RS Mobile

meowjinboo 02-05-2014 03:51 AM

Working for an airline company on oil rigs.

meowjinboo 02-05-2014 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8410992)
60k a year in Alberta is like minimum wage in Vancouver. Ill be heading back to the mac once im home from New York. 14/14 shift, with flights paid to Calgary. If they give me time off for school, I might work more then 14 days, kekekeke.

true, I got a plumbing apprenticeship lined up here, but 60k in Calgary is pretty good (starting) with room for advancement.

Iceman-19 02-05-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8411611)
true, I got a plumbing apprenticeship lined up here, but 60k in Calgary is pretty good (starting) with room for advancement.

Yeah you are hard pressed to find a job in calgary that starts you at a lower wage.

Ronin 02-05-2014 03:37 PM

I might have to go to Fort Mac on occasion for work.

Have to say I wouldn't move there for any long period of time. I think I'd go insane. One of the big factors for me in looking for a job in aviation was that I could stay in Vancouver.

subordinate 02-11-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8411611)

That was fast majin, had friends in the plumbing business?

nsmb 02-12-2014 03:39 PM

union?

DC5-S 02-13-2014 06:48 PM

I got a job with Cenovus now, im in the pelican lake camp.

Iceman-19 02-13-2014 07:38 PM

I think Ill be moving to Calgary once my lease is up in PoMo. No more paying for flights to work.

OrangeJuice 03-18-2014 12:03 PM

To those who work in Fort Mac, or are considering it, what do you think of this article? It's old, but I stumbled upon it recently.

Quote:

Six-figure salaries no draw as young workers shun Canada’s oil and gas sector for ‘sexier’ industries

The Canadian oil and gas industry’s faltering reputation is hurting its ability to attract the country’s youth despite the promise of six-figure salaries.

Canadian oil and gas professionals typically receive the fifth-most generous pay packages in the world behind their counterparts in Norway, Australia, Netherlands and New Zealand, according to a report published Tuesday by Hays Oil & Gas and Oil and Gas Job Search. 
Average salaries in the Canadian oil and gas sector were about US$123,000 last year, significantly higher than the average Canadian salary of US$43,600. A third of the Canadian workforce can also expect bonuses, while 80% of employers expect to raise salaries by at least 5%, Hays data show.

That may sound like a sweet deal in an era of 7.2% unemployment in the country, but the oil and gas industry suffers from a perception problem as young people appear to be shunning the industry in favour of technology companies focused on social media and apps.

“If you look at the generation coming out of school these days, there is a lot of interest in industries perceived as being sexier. That’s where a lot of technology-minded individuals are moving,” said Jim Fearon, regional director at Hays Canada. “Also, Canada is very environmentally-focused and I do think it plays a part in peoples’ career choices.”
Canada energy labour shortage: Young workers shun oil and gas sector | Financial Post

sdubfid 03-18-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeJuice (Post 8439130)
To those who work in Fort Mac, or are considering it, what do you think of this article? It's old, but I stumbled upon it recently.

Canada energy labour shortage: Young workers shun oil and gas sector | Financial Post

I don't think they shun oil and gas for something "sexier"

I think the current generation coming out of school doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to use

OrangeJuice 03-18-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdubfid (Post 8439188)

I think the current generation coming out of school doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to use

There are other intangibles to consider, including:
  • Oil companies don't recruit much outside of northern Alberta
  • You need a car and a full license, and many young people can't afford gas or insurance
  • A lot of immigrant families are vehemently against their kid getting into the trades, they want them to get a degree in law/finance/medicine/engineering so they can brag to their friends
  • Many of the less dangerous jobs require years of experience
And so on. Though, I don't know many people who work in the oilfields, so I'm just conjecturing.

Iceman-19 03-26-2014 08:05 PM

Just a shout out to all the cowtown and fort crack revsceners. Im looking for an HD mechanic apprentice position. Just finishing my 3rd year schooling and moving to Calgary end of April. If you know of anything shoot me some contact info so I can ship off some resumes.

jasonturbo 04-01-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8444463)
Just a shout out to all the cowtown and fort crack revsceners. Im looking for an HD mechanic apprentice position. Just finishing my 3rd year schooling and moving to Calgary end of April. If you know of anything shoot me some contact info so I can ship off some resumes.

My advice is don't move to Calgary lol Much lower emloyment prospects if you are looking for local work.

Have you considered Red Deer area? Tons of work, lower housing costs, tons of slooots at RDC.

Iceman-19 04-01-2014 03:24 PM

Already have some jobs lined up, see what happens. Im not moving to the dump that Edmonton is. Red Deer is the middle of no where. Going to be a 4th year HD mech in 2 weeks, lots of work around.

Hondaracer 04-01-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeJuice (Post 8439213)
There are other intangibles to consider, including:
  • Oil companies don't recruit much outside of northern Alberta
  • You need a car and a full license, and many young people can't afford gas or insurance
  • A lot of immigrant families are vehemently against their kid getting into the trades, they want them to get a degree in law/finance/medicine/engineering so they can brag to their friends
  • Many of the less dangerous jobs require years of experience
And so on. Though, I don't know many people who work in the oilfields, so I'm just conjecturing.

No offense but I have 5 good friends working in cold lake for Esso and I'd say almost all of those assumptions besides the cultural things aren't really correct.
Posted via RS Mobile

SpuGen 04-02-2014 12:43 AM

How the Fuck do I get into a Ft Mac job?
Welder.

Been cold calling and emailing a bunch of places, but I'm not getting a SINGLE reply.

C Ticketed, Just did my B last summer.
Van Local places want to pay me $16., so I'm kindly telling them to fuck right off.

Worked on the Fresh Water tunnel in NVan, and was the only one to get laid off because I wasn't "producing" I'm calling BS, because I was doing 30lbs of wire in 3 hours, and was sent to fit pipes for the rest of it. Other guys were only doing 40lbs in 12 hours. Only found out recently that I was the only one getting paid hourly(35)+OT. While other guys were getting the same + $ Per Pound.

Fuck Dean's Welding.

Also noticing alot of dogshit lazy as fuck welders getting hired + Paid well, while I bust my ass off and still get laid off.
Starting to think its a race thing...

sdubfid 04-02-2014 07:59 AM

Start as a helper, tons of places besides fort Mac. Lots of shop jobs in edmonton too. There are a bunch of Facebook groups you can join to find jobs.
Posted via RS Mobile

skiiipi 04-02-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 8448335)
Welder.

Been cold calling and emailing a bunch of places, but I'm not getting a SINGLE reply.

Van Local places want to pay me $16., so I'm kindly telling them to fuck right off.

Worked on the Fresh Water tunnel in NVan, and was the only one to get laid off because I wasn't "producing" I'm calling BS, because I was doing 30lbs of wire in 3 hours, and was sent to fit pipes for the rest of it. Other guys were only doing 40lbs in 12 hours. Only found out recently that I was the only one getting paid hourly(35)+OT. While other guys were getting the same + $ Per Pound.

Fuck Dean's Welding.

Also noticing alot of dogshit lazy as fuck welders getting hired + Paid well, while I bust my ass off and still get laid off.

A lot of people say that you need to be up here first.
So maybe plan a trip up, and hand out some resume face to face. Also be prepared to start the next day. Companies here usually wants you to start right away. You may need to work a different job to tie you over until smth better comes up, but shouldn't be hard for you to find something up here.
Posted via RS Mobile

Iceman-19 04-02-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 8448335)
Welder.

Fuck Dean's Welding.

View The Job Board

You can bid on jobs after 4 days being posted I believe. Also can use jobbank.gc.ca. kijiji is good if looking in Calgary/Edmonton. Fortmcmurrayjobshop.ca is another. I find it hard to believe that an experienced welder is having trouble finding work. You arent looking hard enough or in the right places.

meowjinboo 04-07-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsmb (Post 8415789)
union?

sorry didnt come back to this thread for a while.

non-union small company (literally a 2 man operation) that wants to grow into a 5-10.

meowjinboo 04-07-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8448001)
Already have some jobs lined up, see what happens. Im not moving to the dump that Edmonton is. Red Deer is the middle of no where. Going to be a 4th year HD mech in 2 weeks, lots of work around.

drive to airdrie and apply in person. lots of oil companies in the industrial area.

meowjinboo 04-07-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdubfid (Post 8439188)

It's not that easy to get a job unless you actually have a mode of transport for the harsh winter + the ability to actually drive out to areas like ft.mac, fsj etc or have a skill.

Buddy is a paramedic and up in GP working for a first aid company . They flew him up for interview/training and job. But if he had no skills good luck getting an arrangement like that.

Port Man 04-07-2014 07:29 PM

There is no mention of Fort St John, BC here? There is all of these jobs and more here in BC, and it is way cheaper than Fort Mac.

Housing over there is 6x more than here..... ridiculous. There is lots of places hiring all kinds of positions... pipe fitters, welders, electricians, laborers, mechanics, truck drivers, medic/first aid work. Get working as a general helper/laborer and you will be used all over the place. Try a few trades and go with one you like...

Clear over 6k/mo (after tax) too just being a helper/laborer, and way less money to start up than in Alberta.

meowjinboo 04-07-2014 08:43 PM

i worked in FSJ, look earlier in the thread. Beautiful area.

http://instagram.com/p/gi8dpHGBt6/