REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   It's New Bridge Time (again)!!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684829-its-new-bridge-time-again.html)

dinosaur 06-03-2013 08:55 PM

It's New Bridge Time (again)!!!

TransLink has finally put together 25 options for the crossing, 6 of which they are seriously considering.

Ideas range from total replacement to tunnel to removing the bridge entirely and creating another crossing closer to the Port Mann.

Ideals will be heard and decided on next year, then a budget will be created, and hopefully ground will be broken some time in 2016-ish?

Oh, and ALL options are to be tolled. Yay.

Surrey Leader - Pattullo Bridge replacement options all come with tolls

Pattullo Bridge replacement options rolled out by TransLink - British Columbia - CBC News

You can give your feedback (again) and find out information about upcoming open houses, etc at pattullobridgereview.com

ALSO: Please keep the "fuck surrey" bullshit out of the thread...we get it, you don't like Surrey...we don't need to read about it anymore.

Lomac 06-03-2013 09:01 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with driving over that bridge?

The thing that annoys me is this:
Quote:

An eight-lane option was ruled out as attracting too much traffic and running counter to goals to move more people by cycling, walking and transit.

The five- and six-lane options may spur more auto-oriented development than four lanes, it said.
I can understand the need for "going green" and trying to convince people to use mass transit/be active, but if they're going to spend $1 Billion on a new bridge, it had better be capable of handling the amount of traffic that will use it in 30 years. To think that traffic is going to substantially drop, especially around Surrey (which is BC's fastest growing city), is inane.

Gridlock 06-03-2013 09:02 PM

Bit of further info...

You may be thinking...25 different options? That seems...excessive.

Last time Translink came out and said its time to talk Patullo, their thing basically went, "new 6 lane to the left, or new 6 lane to the right(of the old bridge). Go!"

That's what they asked people for feedback on. So all the people in the condos to the right, said left, and all the people that lived left said they wanted it to the right. Everyone else that wasn't a self serving asshole said those were some damned shitty choices.

So now they came back with everything but floating bridge, and sky bridge(we already kind of have one of those).

Tolls suck.

I still feel that they should be put on all regional bridges and just pool our resources on it. Yes, you had one of the last free bridges North Van...so suck it.

I don't think the new bridge should be 6 lanes. New West dies with 6 lanes.

Gridlock 06-03-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8252435)
Am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with driving over that bridge?

I drive it all the time, to a very conveniently located Home Depot in b.e.autiful surrey.

I have yet to kill kittens, hit a car, or push a cyclist into the river.

Don't drive like a douche, and if you are behind a truck...fucking stay there...I see you there dude, you do not look that important, you are NOT in THAT much of a hurry.

RacingMetro92 06-03-2013 09:14 PM

Why should people in Surrey have to pay to leave Surrey? I know the bridge needs to be replaced, but this is the one that probably should have been done instead of the port mann.

EmperorIS 06-03-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacingMetro92 (Post 8252450)
Why should people in Surrey have to pay to leave Surrey? I know the bridge needs to be replaced, but this is the one that probably should have been done instead of the port mann.

I'd pay to leave Surrey.

dinosaur 06-03-2013 09:17 PM

A safer bridge would be nice...on the news they said the current bridge "would not last in a moderate seismic event" which, lets face it, is a concern.

As for an 8 lane mega-mind-fuck-bridge....no way. Two to three lanes each way is good...yes, there is some back-up during rush hour, but nothing worth noting.

The option to rehab it is interesting....I'd like to see a ground-up rehab and widening. Start with the pilings and work all the way up...widen the lanes slightly and a concrete barrier down the center. My question...is they go with the rehab option...can\should they be able to toll it?

I think the center barrier is a necessary thing...we have seen a dramatic decrease in head-on collisions since they have started closing the middle lanes at night and since people realized it can be a dangerous bridge.

dinosaur 06-03-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8252452)
I'd pay to leave Surrey.

:rukidding:

Do we really need another thread like this?

RacingMetro92 06-03-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8252452)
I'd pay to leave Surrey.

These Surrey jokes really need to stop. Unless you live in Surrey, then you haven't dealt with the shitshow that is the Patullo during rush hour. Citizens should have to pay to leave their own city in order to work, especially when it was free for years.

You'd eat $4-6 a day on a toll just to get home? If buses aren't feasible to your workplace, and you make around 15-16 an hour good luck trying to make a living.

Gridlock 06-03-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8252453)
As for an 8 lane mega-mind-fuck-bridge....no way. Two to three lanes each way is good...yes, there is some back-up during rush hour, but nothing worth noting.

:rukidding:

Royal Avenue is a re-donc-ulous clusterfuck in the afternoon. Lined up from the bridge, to stewardson. Up McBride to Mcyaks.

I mean, it could be worse. It flows nicely out of Surrey.

I guess those people just don't want to leave.

El Bastardo 06-03-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8252428)
ALSO: Please keep the "fuck surrey" bullshit out of the thread...we get it, you don't like Surrey...we don't need to read about it anymore.

Fuck Tolls.

MindBomber 06-03-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacingMetro92 (Post 8252460)
These Surrey jokes really need to stop. Unless you live in Surrey, then you haven't dealt with the shitshow that is the Patullo during rush hour. Citizens should have to pay to leave their own city in order to work, especially when it was free for years.

You'd eat $4-6 a day on a toll just to get home? If buses aren't feasible to your workplace, and you make around 15-16 an hour good luck trying to make a living.

I'm a significant supporter of bridge tolls, and, like Gridlock, believe they should be placed on all our local bridges (over xxx length).

I am, however, concerned about the impact on low and medium income earners who must travel across bridges. I think the solution is a pro-rated system, like MSP.

Gridlock 06-03-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8252476)
I'm a significant supporter of bridge tolls, and, like Gridlock, believe they should be placed on all our local bridges (over xxx length).

I am, however, concerned about the impact on low and medium income earners who must travel across bridges. I think the solution is a pro-rated system, like MSP.

Oh mindbomber. Sweet sweet bends so left its right again mindbomber.

I am literally holding my head in my hand, in a facepalm.

bcrdukes 06-03-2013 09:41 PM

Fuck New West.

dinosaur 06-03-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8252476)

Dude man, how would that ever work??? Will it be based on how much your car is worth? Do you need to submit a pay stub at the toll office?

You cray cray (with love).

yray 06-03-2013 09:44 PM

I'd say we build a highway along the waterfront of New west so Queensborugh can connect to highway 1 without any lights.

bobbinka 06-03-2013 09:53 PM

honestly, i'm surprised accidents dont happen on this bridge more often.

even drivers who try to play it safe while on that bridge are a danger to other people. too many times have i seen people straying away from their lanes without even knowing. especially when heading into surrey, as the bridge curves near the end, people just can't stay in their fucking lanes. this bridge was just not meant for 4 lanes

murd0c 06-03-2013 09:56 PM

I'm loosing $1500 a year because I live in Surrey and I find it very frustrating. I think every bridge should be tolled but have it a small amount $.50 then they would get overall more more money and it would be more fair since everyone does use the roads. How is targeting one ground of people fair since most of the time they are taking those routes to go to work which is helping this BC economy grow.

Lomac 06-03-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8252492)
I'd say we build a highway along the waterfront of New west so Queensborugh can connect to highway 1 without any lights.

It would be nice to have a proper Hwy 99/91 to Hwy 1 connector with minimal lights, but there's no property available to create something like that anymore. It would literally cost hundreds of millions to buy up enough property in order to do it and that would be before a single shovel is used to start construction.

meowjinboo 06-03-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8252485)
Fuck New West.

New west has to be the most depressing area of vancouver.

dinamix 06-03-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8252512)
I'm loosing $1500 a year because I live in Surrey and I find it very frustrating. I think every bridge should be tolled but have it a small amount $.50 then they would get overall more more money and it would be more fair since everyone does use the roads. How is targeting one ground of people fair since most of the time they are taking those routes to go to work which is helping this BC economy grow.

How are you losing 1500? Its your choice to live there.
Posted via RS Mobile

godwin 06-03-2013 10:04 PM

I think that's why there is the Sapperton option.. the industrial area there is contaminated (that's why the Playland move was abandoned). The Braid street bridge has to be replaced anyways.. and it is mid way between Coq and New West so the two cities doesn't really need to fight about it and it connects to the South Perimeter Road to the south and HighWay 1 to the north..

the only problem is it is probably the most expensive option in terms of building because basically the whole cross is a swamp.

As for tolling, honestly payasyougo via OBD is the best way to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8252515)
It would be nice to have a proper Hwy 99/91 to Hwy 1 connector with minimal lights, but there's no property available to create something like that anymore. It would literally cost hundreds of millions to buy up enough property in order to do it and that would be before a single shovel is used to start construction.

Lomac 06-03-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinamix (Post 8252523)
How are you losing 1500? Its your choice to live there.
Posted via RS Mobile

Try working in a trades job, a trucking company or any other position that requires you to drive around the Lower Mainland for a living and then say that.

Otherwise shut up.

godwin 06-03-2013 10:07 PM

For the really lazy but want to know the options.

The only 8 lane option is if they replace the bridge at the same location.. the rest are 4-6 lane options.

Go to Page 13,14,15 of this PDF http://www.pattullobridgereview.ca/w...-June-2013.pdf

Personally I prefer the Sapperton Bar / Coquitlam option.. since it will relieve New West Front Street traffic a bit too because of the direct connection to Highway 1 and South Fraser Perimeter.

Soundy 06-03-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8252515)

Ummm... you mean like this?