REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Happy hours?

Is there a law that prohibits "Happy hour" in vancouver bars, cafe, and restaurants?

I seldomly see any happy hour menu in vancouver. We have "daily special" but that is not the same as the "happy hour" type of thing we see in Seattle or New York. I am referring to both alcohol menu and food menu
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts

There a tons of places with Happy Hour specials in Vancouver

Boat House has "appy hour" 3-6

Hapa has "Hapa hour" at various times at their locations

Glowbal group has "cocktail hour" a their various locations

Ebisu Robson; Every day, 4:30pm -6:30pm

Joe Fortes http://www.joefortes.ca/menus/menus.php?pageID=42

Pink Elephant Thai http://www.pinkelephantthai.com/_pdf...-Hour-Menu.pdf

Just to name a few...

Last edited by shawnly1000; 06-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,557 Times in 1,708 Posts
^ Why do you give him that reply? He's got a point, you never see the abundance of happy hour drink specials here in Vancouver that seems to be pretty standard in most restaurants in Seattle. If anything, I always wondered the same thing.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Happy hour is to attract customers during slower times. Maybe the culture/live style here is different and restaurants don't have as big as a problem getting people to come out to eat?

I believe (correct me if im wrong) the only real law for happy hour is having it set & priced at the beginning of the day(before business is opened).. I was told its technically illegal if a restaurant starts happy hour mid day..

If you look around there are quite a few places with happy hours btw.. ex. Gyu Kaku
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Does Ebisu broadway still have like a Pick 3 for x-dollar amount?
I haven't been back there in a ages.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Happy hours are illegal in BC. A bar or restaurant can't discount the price of a drink for only certain hours during the day. You can only have a timed discount on food. A drink special that lasts all day from open to close is okay however (i.e. Martini Monday).

Having said that, sometimes restaurants will break the rules, or they try and fudge them. For example, Minami in yaletown does a deal from 5 - 7pm for gyoza and a beer for $10.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
not really happy hour, but at juno sushi in downtown

its a saporro/white wing and dynamite roll for 6 bucks
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #8

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Archaic liqour laws and government controlled distribution/prices
Posted via RS Mobile
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,557 Times in 1,708 Posts
Thanks Eff-1, I always assumed that. What stupid fucking laws this province has, and we all sit by and nothing ever changes. Jesus Christ.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
It is no secret that British Columbia has some of the most draconian and restrictive liquor laws in the country, with many laws many decades old and some even dating as far as back as the prohibition era that began in 1917. However, there may be a glimmer of hope as the provincial government will be undertaking a comprehensive review of B.C.’s liquor laws that could lead to major reform.

The Ministry of Justice will be calling upon the province’s residents and its 10,000 liquor license holders and liquor agency stores to provide feedback on the grossly outdated and overly restrictive liquor laws that prevent British Columbians from enjoying alcohol in a responsible yet flexible manner. The Ministry itself has admittedly also termed the laws as “outdated” and “inefficient.”

A website for the liquor policy review will be launched in September and your input will be important for the strong push that will be needed for real and sweeping changes of our ridiculous liquor laws that excessively restrict our lifestyle as a means of maintaining the peace. The comprehensive review will examine every aspect: liquor retail and distribution, the availability of liquor, the manufacturing and transportation process, the location of legal consumption, the presence of minors in licensed areas, laws over establishments, special events and festivals, the licensing processes, and public health and safety.

SEE MORE:
Time for B.C. to end its draconian laws on alcohol
Oppressive liquor laws severely impede events and festivals
Drinking alcohol allowed on Vancouver beaches soon?
Some of these archaic laws include no happy hours for restaurants and pubs, complex Special Occasion License policies that require alcohol served at an event to be purchased from a government liquor store, no alcohol at beaches and parks even though it is common in many other countries, and overly lengthy and complex procedures for acquiring a liquor-primary liquor license (bars and nightclubs) or a food-primary liquor license (restaurants that serve alcohol). The list goes on, and believe it or not it is illegal for liquor stores to sell newspapers but it is perfectly okay to sell lottery tickets.

While such ridiculous laws date many decades back, the problem inherently lies with the bureaucrats who run B.C.’s Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB) and continue mandating new draconian liquor policies. It is true that some steps have been taken towards the right direction such as with the recent legalization of bringing your own bottle of wine to a restaurant, which was made possible only through immense campaigning by the restaurant industry and strong political will.

However, just as some overreaching liquor laws were repealed another draconian law was made to replace it. In January 2013, the LCLB quietly made in the law that occasional all-ages shows would no longer be allowed at venues with liquor-primary licenses. That meant bars and nightclubs would no longer be allowed to temporarily delicense their venues for nighttime all-ages events such as concerts, and for some reason even the participating artists and performers would have to be 19 years of age.

SEE MORE:
Outrage over new draconian BC liquor laws: all-ages shows banned at venues with liquor licenses
New B.C. liquor laws have the future of underage bands on the rocks
You might be wondering what the reasoning was behind this all-ages ban. As ridiculous as it may sound, and this is true, the law was enacted almost immediately with no warning because the LCLB was concerned that minors were consuming alcohol before entering the all-ages event venue. With that kind of logic, you have to start wondering where else we should we ban minors from entering because it could apply to anywhere if we are that overly concerned about minors consuming alcohol.

This is not a question that is often asked but sometimes you have to wonder whether the government’s LCLB bureaucrats are making regulations and procedures much harder than it needs to be in order to protect their position of power and the expensive existence of the LCLB.

Regardless, given that this comprehensive review is spearheaded by the Ministry of Justice and Attorney General Suzanne Anton, there is every possibility that this could lead to lead to the sweeping liquor law changes that British Columbians deserve and need:

Relative to the many nations (particularly in Western Europe) that have built a significantly more mature societal view of alcohol consumption, responsible drinking is not taught in B.C. and such a societal norm and consensus can only be taught through a pragmatic openness and enlightenment towards the very perception of alcohol.

A society that shows it can responsibly enjoy alcohol, without treating it as some pariah or taboo, is also a sign of a mature society. However, more often than not, because of the actions of a very small minority of people (whether it be drunk drivers or the binge drinkers who instigated the 2011 Stanley Cup Riot or even the overreaching campaigns of modern prohibitionists who themselves do not understand alcohol and the issues), the rest of the population suffers from the lack of opportunity for mature enjoyment.

A more mature view and open practice to responsible drinking would significantly decrease the number of cases of “binge drinking.” To make alcohol a taboo implies that drinking should be done secretly and rarely.
Province to undertake complete review of B.C.?s draconian liquor laws | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Blog

hopefully there may be some positive change to come out of this
TPMarko is offline   Reply With Quote