REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
Vancouver turning into ghost town

15% of downtown Vancouver condos sit empty, turning areas into ghost towns: Study

By Mike Raptis, The Province March 22, 2013

Read more: 15% of downtown Vancouver condos sit empty, turning areas into ghost towns: Study

Barkerville. Deadwood. Downtown Vancouver?

An analysis of Vancouver’s empty condo rate or those occupied by foreign residents, by UBC planning professor Andy Yan, reveals much of the downtown core is starting to look like B.C.’s ghost towns — with apartments languishing empty, businesses closing down and residents not feeling the sense of community they bought into.

Yan’s data suggests that other than in the West End, 14.9 per cent of the condos downtown, or 5,710 units, are unoccupied.

This includes some of the ritziest, eye-catching real estate in the city — particularly in Coal Harbour — where one in four condos are either empty, or not lived in by their owners.

UBC economics and real estate professor Tour Somerville says that number is closer to 65 per cent for the immediate area.

“I don’t find it surprising, particularly when you’re talking about Coal Harbour — including the Expo Land properties — that we’re likely to get buildings there with units that are owned and not occupied,” said Somerville, in his booming baritone.

“Once you get out of the downtown core, that percentage drops to about 25 per cent,” he said Thursday.

Overall, Vancouver’s rate of non-resident occupancy dwellings is the third highest in the country at 7.7 per cent overall, behind Windsor, Ontario (9 per cent) and London, Ontario (8.6 per cent).

Is it foreign investors using Vancouver as a summer spot?

Is it the price of rent in the city?

Yan’s data doesn’t distinguish between the two, and Somerville says until there’s a supply constraint in the city — which there isn’t, with so many unsold units — this shouldn’t be an issue for the city.

Vancouver city councillor Geoff Meggs acknowledges foreign investors have had an impact on the city, but isn’t opposed to the idea.

“I only have a problem with it if investors are leaving units empty,” Meggs said.

But it’s a problem to local small business owners and residents — especially in Coal Harbour — who have bought into the neighbourhood expecting more of a community, and more business.

Rofie Tu, who runs Harbour Front Market, says her father bought the Coal Harbour convenience store in 1999.

Since then, she says, foot traffic has slowed to the point where it’s only tourists and businessmen coming out of conferences that she serves.

“The prices are too high here. Local people can’t afford (to live here). That’s the reason,” Tu said.

“You see around the area, small grocery stores are closing up. A lot of small companies are closing up,” she said.

Resident Margaret Klima has seen the boom-to-bust effect foreign investment has had in cities like Hong Kong and San Francisco, and says she sees similarities here in Vancouver.

“I thought it would become more of a community — which it has — but it’s pretty quiet around here,” said Klima, who owns in False Creek but spends time in Coal Harbour.

“When investors start pulling their money out for investments that are better for them, they’ll take the money out and leave a market that’s not so good behind,” she said.

mraptis@theprovince.com

twitter.com/mike_raptis

© Copyright (c) The Province
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
kinda reminds me of China

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,690 Times in 857 Posts
Probably due to property prices in downtown/coal harbor area to be extremely inflated.

It would deter any person making less than 50k/year to live any where close to that area.

'93 GSR
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,198 Times in 1,318 Posts
Living in a condo with no one above, below or beside you? Must be heaven for some lucky people downtown..
Old 06-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

it's a shame that i'd pretty much suck a dick to live in a place like that and that 14.9% of those mofos are empty
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestlove View Post
it's a shame that i'd pretty much suck a dick to live in a place like that and that 14.9% of those mofos are empty
The reason 14.9% of those mofos are empty is because other guys don't want to suck a dick in order to live in a place like that.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The reason 14.9% of those mofos are empty is because other guys don't want to suck a dick in order to live in a place like that.
i'll suck your dick?
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,009 Times in 404 Posts
this is good news.
mr_chin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
i'll suck your dick?
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,533 Times in 904 Posts
Good, by 2015 it will be much worse and hopefully the price will go down for apartments.

Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 06-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Mike Oxbig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
boot boot car

Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
^worse.

sorry.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Quote:
i'll suck your dick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
this is good news.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #13
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,352 Times in 949 Posts
is it such a big surprise? Not for me.. prices are way to high for someone with a below avg income level... with all these foreigners coming to BC and accept low pay jobs, which drives down the wages even more... when you work 2+ jobs, you get taxed up the arse...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,439 Times in 806 Posts
This is good. In 2-3 years when I buy hopefully the market has crashed so goddamn hard I can afford a bigger place on a smaller budget. (Good for me)

Yet this completely licks dogshit, as it doesn't help our economy much having all these properties bought out, yet no one living here and spending money. (Bad for Vancouver)

Just go look at any fancy neighbourhoods in: Shaugnessy, Richmond, Burnaby.. So many fucking houses siting empty even though someone owns it. The only people who are probably happier then a clam are Home Burglary criminals.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
15% of downtown Vancouver condos sit empty, turning areas into ghost towns: Study

By Mike Raptis, The Province March 22, 2013

Read more: 15% of downtown Vancouver condos sit empty, turning areas into ghost towns: Study

Barkerville. Deadwood. Downtown Vancouver?

An analysis of Vancouver’s empty condo rate or those occupied by foreign residents, by UBC planning professor Andy Yan, reveals much of the downtown core is starting to look like B.C.’s ghost towns — with apartments languishing empty, businesses closing down and residents not feeling the sense of community they bought into.

Yan’s data suggests that other than in the West End, 14.9 per cent of the condos downtown, or 5,710 units, are unoccupied.

This includes some of the ritziest, eye-catching real estate in the city — particularly in Coal Harbour — where one in four condos are either empty, or not lived in by their owners.

UBC economics and real estate professor Tour Somerville says that number is closer to 65 per cent for the immediate area.

“I don’t find it surprising, particularly when you’re talking about Coal Harbour — including the Expo Land properties — that we’re likely to get buildings there with units that are owned and not occupied,” said Somerville, in his booming baritone.

“Once you get out of the downtown core, that percentage drops to about 25 per cent,” he said Thursday.

Overall, Vancouver’s rate of non-resident occupancy dwellings is the third highest in the country at 7.7 per cent overall, behind Windsor, Ontario (9 per cent) and London, Ontario (8.6 per cent).

Is it foreign investors using Vancouver as a summer spot?

Is it the price of rent in the city?

Yan’s data doesn’t distinguish between the two, and Somerville says until there’s a supply constraint in the city — which there isn’t, with so many unsold units — this shouldn’t be an issue for the city.

Vancouver city councillor Geoff Meggs acknowledges foreign investors have had an impact on the city, but isn’t opposed to the idea.

“I only have a problem with it if investors are leaving units empty,” Meggs said.

But it’s a problem to local small business owners and residents — especially in Coal Harbour — who have bought into the neighbourhood expecting more of a community, and more business.

Rofie Tu, who runs Harbour Front Market, says her father bought the Coal Harbour convenience store in 1999.

Since then, she says, foot traffic has slowed to the point where it’s only tourists and businessmen coming out of conferences that she serves.

“The prices are too high here. Local people can’t afford (to live here). That’s the reason,” Tu said.

“You see around the area, small grocery stores are closing up. A lot of small companies are closing up,” she said.

Resident Margaret Klima has seen the boom-to-bust effect foreign investment has had in cities like Hong Kong and San Francisco, and says she sees similarities here in Vancouver.

“I thought it would become more of a community — which it has — but it’s pretty quiet around here,” said Klima, who owns in False Creek but spends time in Coal Harbour.

“When investors start pulling their money out for investments that are better for them, they’ll take the money out and leave a market that’s not so good behind,” she said.

mraptis@theprovince.com

twitter.com/mike_raptis

© Copyright (c) The Province
Maybe these units are bought already and people are just using it as vacation homes>
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

It's only because all those units are stock
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

meanwhile in new west (if you've drive there in the last day or so), is turning into chinatown...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostslut View Post
It's only because all those units are stock
lolz.

GTR is better than those condos!
Posted via RS Mobile
death_blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,481 Times in 465 Posts
I hope the housing market crashes hard.

It's sad when a "crash" is really the correct term for "affordable housing for the middle class". Vancouver is a fucking mess, locals can't afford to enjoy their own goddamn city because of this false inflation.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote