REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

2014 Toyota Corolla first look

2014 Toyota Corolla Takes Some Risks With Redesign | Edmunds.com

2014 Toyota Corolla Photos Leaked | AutoGuide.com News

Quote:
Just the Facts:

Toyota steps out of its conservative comfort zone with the redesign of the 2014 Toyota Corolla.
The Corolla, one of the most popular products in its segment for more than four decades, gets a new chiseled look and standard LED headlights.
The 2014 Toyota Corolla goes on sale in the fall; pricing will be announced closer to launch date, Toyota told Edmunds.

TORRANCE, California — The redesigned 2014 Toyota Corolla debuted on Thursday with a new chiseled look and standard LED headlights, underscoring Toyota's willingness to take some design risks with one of its mainstay products.

Toyota said it is hoping to make "a much stronger design statement" with the 2014 Corolla, which bears more than a passing resemblance to the Toyota Corolla Furia Concept that debuted in January at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show.

The 2014 Corolla goes on sale in the fall; pricing will be announced closer to launch date, Toyota told Edmunds.

Toyota also appears anxious for the 2014 Corolla to join the 40-mpg club.

A new 2014 Corolla LE Eco model targets over 40 mpg in highway driving, the automaker said. The Corolla LE Eco adds underbody covers, a color-keyed rear spoiler, low-rolling-resistance tires on 15-inch wheels, a more efficient 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and a continuously variable transmission.

The base 2014 Corolla is equipped with a carryover 132-horsepower 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine. The base Corolla L is equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission or a six-speed manual transmission. The six-speed manual is also available in the Corolla S.

The EPA has not yet rated the 2014 Corolla. The 2013 Toyota Corolla with a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission returns 27 mpg in city driving and 34 mpg on the highway, according to the EPA. The 2013 Corolla with the same engine and a four-speed automatic transmission returns 26 mpg in city driving and 34 mpg on the highway.

The Corolla has been one of the most popular products in its segment for more than four decades with a look that Toyota has seemed reluctant to tinker with in the past.

However, Toyota apparently is hoping to avoid the painful lessons learned by Honda with its disappointing redesign of the 2012 Honda Civic, a Corolla competitor. The 2012 Civic's interior layout and materials were widely criticized and Honda hustled to launch a relatively unusual mid-cycle change just about 18 months after the car's debut. General Motors was forced to take a similar approach with the recently redesigned 2014 Chevrolet Malibu.

The risk is that Toyota may alienate some of its conservative audience with the changes to the 2014 Corolla. But the reward is that it may win over younger buyers. The redesign of the 2014 Corolla may be the most important product moment for Toyota this year, since the Corolla is the main entry point for the brand. Toyota calls the car the "best-selling car nameplate on the planet," with nearly 40 million units sold. "Corolla is our #2 selling model in the U.S., behind Camry, and the best-selling vehicle globally," said Greg Thome, a Toyota Motor Sales USA spokesman, in response to an Edmunds query.

The Corolla faces increasingly stiff competition from compact cars with more design flair. They include the Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra.

"Customers emphasized the overwhelming importance of vehicle design on product perception in the marketplace," Toyota said. "The 11th generation Corolla makes a much stronger design statement, with more compelling exterior and interior executions that challenge the preconceptions about Corolla."

The 2014 Corolla rides on a longer wheelbase that has been stretched nearly 4 inches compared to the outgoing model. Rear-seat passengers gain more legroom thanks to the redesign.

The cabin gets upscale materials, including piano-black gloss trim and metallic touches.
Quote:
The all-new 2014 Corolla is the 11th generation of the largest-selling car in the world. Along with the Camry it's the very bread and butter of a very bread-and-butter automaker. So it's pretty important for Toyota.

The Corolla hasn't had a significant redesign since 2009, yet last year it sold 290,947 units in the U.S.-- more than the Hyundai Elantra, Volkswagen Jetta, and Chevy Cruze. It sold more than the Ford Focus sedan and hatchback combined. All of these competitors are either the same age or newer.

Outside, the 2014 Corolla is certainly less milquetoast than the car it replaces. For one, with a Big Mouth Billy Bass front end it recalls a less chrome-laden Avalon. Creases and bulges outline the rest of the car, reminiscent of the Furia concept wrapped around Batman's Tumbler. Perhaps in a bit of youthful baiting, those black and silver wheels on the Corolla S are directly reminiscent of the Scion FR-S. We may be forgiven for thinking that some of its trucklike blockiness may indicate a greater tie-up with Subaru -- namely, the equally blocky XV Crosstrek -- than previously thought.

The wheelbase grows by 3.93 inches; the overall length, by 3.9 inches. Shrinking the overhangs allows Toyota to say "it communicates a more dynamic compact sedan form, even at a standstill." Big news up front: LEDs are standard across all models, allowing for lighter and smaller headlights.

The Corolla's Avalon theme continues on the inside with a dashboard that almost exactly mimics that of its larger brethren. All Corollas will feature Bluetooth, pollen filters, and many power-operated features like locks and windows as standard. A center touchscreen accesses Toyota's Entune on higher trim levels. Thanks to the use of acoustic glass, carpet insulation, and firewall silencing pads, the new Corolla will be much quieter, Toyota promises.

The Corolla comes with two 1.8-liter engines. A 1.8-liter all-aluminum four produces 132 horsepower on L, LE and S trims. The new LE Eco trim will be rated at 140 horsepower, as it debuts Toyota's Valvematic system for the first time in America: this improved variable-valve timing and lift system is said to increase horsepower and fuel economy by at least 5 percent. This means that the LE Eco, made for spendthrift fuel sippers, actually produces more horsepower than the S -- "sport," but with a lowercase s.

The base L model gets a choice of a four-speed automatic or a six-speed manual transmission. (A four-speed, in this day and age?) The other three trim levels will feature a brand-new pulley-type CVT, with seven stepped "gears" that will go far toward minimizing the "rubber band" sensation of traditional (read: cruder) CVTs. Toyota's words, not ours. Corolla drivers will be able to play with the seven "gears" through shifter buttons on the wheel as well as the gearshift lever.

Toyota isn't lying when it says the Corolla is "the best-selling car nameplate on the planet." Like McDonald's, millions and millions have been served, in 154 countries, with cars made in 16 factories. This Corolla will have to meet the demands of all these unique markets. Including ours. We get to drive it in a couple months, so stay tuned for impressions from behind the wheel and pricing announcements as they roll in.
Advertisement
Lancerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Scion-ish exterior with a hint of Kia.

The interior is nice though
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #3

and those wheels...they look familiar...where did I see them?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
and those wheels...they look familiar...where did I see them?
BRZ
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #5

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts

front looks like a Passat

interior looks upscale from previous models
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
The exterior looks too cluttered and overwhelming. I was trying to keep track of which cars it reminded me of, and I immediately lost count.

Interior looks much better though

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
It looks SPORTY YES

It's nice to see Toyota's trying to bring back fun to the brand.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

What's with the wheel gap?
platinum300 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
The headlights reminds of the Ford Focus 4 door
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
It's weird, they've designed a car that looks both interesting and boring, good-looking yet terrible, original somehow but also a blatant amalgamation.

But that wheelgap
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
I'm invisible

noooo... We should of waited for the new model, instead of getting an 2013....
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Cool looking Ford Escape. Where's the car-ride-height Toyota tho?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
i'd buy one
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
I STILL don't get it

It reminds me a little bit of the 2014 Lexus IS.

platinum300 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

That is so depressing!!!
At least the ROW model is less of an eyesore

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
As nice as Corollas are evolving, ill still never buy one just because everyone has one. I would hate seeing 3-4 identical cars to mine in every parking lot.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
TRD Lowering Springs...0.6" drop .
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
That is so depressing!!!
At least the ROW model is less of an eyesore

But Toyota confirms that the Matrix (essentially a HB corolla) wouldn't look anything like the Auris

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,060 Times in 351 Posts
??2013 Corolla ??????

the north america version is way better looking.
rps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
TRD Lowering Springs...0.6" drop .
yeah I hate it when they do OEM lowering springs with minimal drop...they should lower like an inch.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum300 View Post
What's with the wheel gap?
so that you can lower it and enjoy the difference.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
I thought i read Camry and when i saw the pic i was like for a Corolla though eh
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerion View Post

Hyundai would like their design back
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #24
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I hope its not a 4 speed auto anymore :/

Oh nm its still a 4 speed auto GAH! wtf