REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Donations at Checkout

I had several encounters at Home Depot, Superstore, and other retailers that ask if I would donate a dollar or two to charity.

I'm indifferent about donating because a 5 second encounter won't let allow me to understand the cause and its really a dollar or two. However, is it really acceptable for these retailers to guilt-trip me into doing it?

One time I refused because it was so random (the cause) and the cashier kept talking about it and was frankly quite annoying and made me regret not using the self-service checkout.

I'd be more happy if they just mentioned there's a donation box for X cause.

Your thoughts?
Advertisement
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Don't take it so personally.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
"No thanks"
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I usually just say okay
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Why don't you use the self service if there's an option? There's never been one time where I've thought "Hmmm, this would be so much better and quicker if someone did this for me..."

And just say no if you don't want to donate. Why let anyone guilt trip you? There's SO MANY causes out there. You can't possibly be responsible for all of them. Just because you choose to donate to support diabetes research doesn't mean you're FOR cancer. That's stupid. If someone asks, tell them you donate all your money to whatever and don't have more.

Or how about we donate all of our money and have none left for groceries and they'd be out of a job. Don't ever let people in the service industry intimidate you. I don't mean you should disrespect them but you should never take shit from someone's whose job depends on a service you pay for.

At the same time, if you politely say "No, thank you."...most cashiers won't push it. I wouldn't take it personally. I don't see why you feel guilty. Charity is a choice.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Awkward moment when you say no thanks and you end up feeling guilty

and lol at the ppl going "o i already donated"

SUUUUUUUUUUURE BUDDY GUY.

But yeah, for me personally; if i got awesome customer service from the staff, i don't mind saying yes for the donation...if not....
Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
I don't feel guilty at all. I don't think they should be asking at the tills in the first place, but meh.

What really pisses me off are those people who hound you to sign up for credit cards. I was at the Canadian Tire in Fremont Village yesterday and dude is like all over me. Kept hounding me. I ignored him at first, then said no. He kept giving me his speil. I finally stopped, pointed my finger in his face and said, "I said no once, DON'T make me say it twice!" He finally got the message and I think I scared him a bit as he went outside to what look like cry?

I get the PC Mastercard people hound me at Superstore, too. All I do is whip out the black PC Mastercard and they just immediatley stop and walk away.

The only time I will stop and talk to these people is if the person is a hot babe................ then I'll just turn on the charm. Hee hee....... harmless old man guise
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

lol yeah, why dont these companies grt it? Hire only hot chicks

Like cactus club.
Posted via RS Mobile
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I hate the rent a baby from Africa donation going on in most malls.

Walked by chick asks me. I say no that's okay thanks. Walk back literally 3 minutes again she ask me again. I got annoyed and I'm like "we just had this exact conversation".
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,576 Times in 4,294 Posts
I feel bad when saying no which kinda suckers me in to donating. I don't donate all the time but it's only a couple bucks so I normally dont mind at all.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
i seem to only get that at TRU and i believe it's for kids at childrens hospital or something like that so i'm down for that. except the one time i bought something from the same place twice b/c i forgot to get something. b/c that made me feel like i was getting taxed

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Why don't you use the self service if there's an option? There's never been one time where I've thought "Hmmm, this would be so much better and quicker if someone did this for me..."

And just say no if you don't want to donate. Why let anyone guilt trip you? There's SO MANY causes out there. You can't possibly be responsible for all of them. Just because you choose to donate to support diabetes research doesn't mean you're FOR cancer. That's stupid. If someone asks, tell them you donate all your money to whatever and don't have more.

Or how about we donate all of our money and have none left for groceries and they'd be out of a job. Don't ever let people in the service industry intimidate you. I don't mean you should disrespect them but you should never take shit from someone's whose job depends on a service you pay for.

At the same time, if you politely say "No, thank you."...most cashiers won't push it. I wouldn't take it personally. I don't see why you feel guilty. Charity is a choice.
I was just at the Home Depot buying some stuff for the office and was in a rush. The self check line was full whereas the cashiers were empty so I proceeded to go there.

I said no thanks and the woman talked more and started waving that little paper hammer at me in a "I'm gonna publicly shame you" kind of way. At that point I went from "no thanks" to "I rather give money to a crackhead"

I rather donate to causes that are easy to understand and actually involves something without public shaming (eg. donating to cancer research and my friend has to walk up to the top of CN tower, ride to conquer etc)
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I don't feel bad because it's the cashier's job to ask. They don't care.
Posted via RS Mobile
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #14

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
lol yeah, why dont these companies grt it? Hire only hot chicks

Like cactus club.
Posted via RS Mobile
Like abercrombie and fitch
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
I was just at the Home Depot buying some stuff for the office and was in a rush. The self check line was full whereas the cashiers were empty so I proceeded to go there.

I said no thanks and the woman talked more and started waving that little paper hammer at me in a "I'm gonna publicly shame you" kind of way. At that point I went from "no thanks" to "I rather give money to a crackhead"

I rather donate to causes that are easy to understand and actually involves something without public shaming (eg. donating to cancer research and my friend has to walk up to the top of CN tower, ride to conquer etc)
It's only shame if you give a shit what strangers think.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
I don't get it

Businesses also do this for tax purposes. Instead of you claiming the charitable tax credit, they do. If you can, its better to donate directly to the cause.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Businesses also do this for tax purposes. Instead of you claiming the charitable tax credit, they do. If you can, its better to donate directly to the cause.
Ohhhhhhhh, never thought about it that way.

So no need to feel bad, people...LOL.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Yeah, pretty slimy, but some of them match your donations, which I think is pretty cool. IIRC, Costco does this.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
...in the world.

So next time just tell the cashier you'd rather have the tax break for yourself.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

So I was at Broadway and Commercial Dr. Skytrain Station infront of A&W and this guy stops me:

Guy: "Hi How are you?
Me: "Im Good."
Guy: "I'm not trying to stop you because I think you're beautiful. I'm not trying to stop you because I want your number. I'm not trying to stop beautiful ladies out in the street because I am trying to hit on them. But have you ever heard of World Vision?"
Me: "UM......yea..." *pretty disturbed right now*
Guy: "blah blah blah blah blah"
Me: "No thank you..."
Guy: "Blah blah blah blah blah"
Me: "I'm not interested"
Guy: "Blah blah blah"
Me: "I SAID I WASN'T INTERESTED, SORRY"
Guy: "Okay have a nice day" *walks away really fast, embarassed*

That is not how you impress the ladies guys, or how you ask someone to sponsor a child.
Windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
We do it at Sportchek because it's company policy for the cashiers to ask or else they will get a hard time from managers.
The cashiers hate doing it and find it really embarrassing too.
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
You guys haven't experienced guilt tripping yet.. I was at Staples the other day, and they had a mentally challenged man asking for donations for this charity helping mentally challenged individuals right beside the cashier, the fuck man
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I don't feel guilty at all. I don't think they should be asking at the tills in the first place, but meh.

What really pisses me off are those people who hound you to sign up for credit cards. I was at the Canadian Tire in Fremont Village yesterday and dude is like all over me. Kept hounding me. I ignored him at first, then said no. He kept giving me his speil. I finally stopped, pointed my finger in his face and said, "I said no once, DON'T make me say it twice!" He finally got the message and I think I scared him a bit as he went outside to what look like cry?

I get the PC Mastercard people hound me at Superstore, too. All I do is whip out the black PC Mastercard and they just immediatley stop and walk away.

The only time I will stop and talk to these people is if the person is a hot babe................ then I'll just turn on the charm. Hee hee....... harmless old man guise
i always say the same thing and they always leave me alone right away:

"sorry, im in a bit of a rush right now"
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #24

I have zero issues with saying "No" when it comes to donations. And quite frankly, you shouldn't feel "guilty" either. How do they know that you don't already commit to 1 or 2 charities that you donate more generously to.

For me, I donate a nice chunk to BC Children's Hospital because I know my coin is being put to good use.

EDIT: As far as those pesky credit card bastards go, stare them right in the eye and say NO! ... then walk away. It gets easier with practice.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #25
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Just look them and say "No, thank you."

They ask 100s of times a day. They won't flinch if someone says no.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote