REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
To sum it up (in my own words), it's not so much about what I'm donating for, but rather who is asking me to donate, and how.

If it's a nice lady at the Costco till asking me to donate to a children's hospital, by all means, sure. If I'm being asked to donate to some philipino scam, then no.

My worst experience was at Lougheed mall - was in the mall, approached by a girl from World Vision asking me to sponsor a child, and I told her I already sponsor 3. She obviously thought I was lying, gave me the most distasteful look I've seen in a long time and sneeringly asked me where they were from. I pulled out my wallet, showed her the 3 wallet-cards - shows picture, names, age, country - and asked her if she'd also like to see my monthly bill.

She went red and walked away.
Advertisement
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #27
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
"Not today."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Businesses also do this for tax purposes. Instead of you claiming the charitable tax credit, they do. If you can, its better to donate directly to the cause.
Technically, if they were to do that they'd also have to declare it as income (you can't donate something that isn't yours). Ups and downs.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #28
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Just say you already did no thanks
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

nah i only carry $100 dollar bills and credit card
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #30
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
You guys haven't experienced guilt tripping yet.. I was at Staples the other day, and they had a mentally challenged man asking for donations for this charity helping mentally challenged individuals right beside the cashier, the fuck man
Man, they don't even need to say anything and you already feel bad for thinking no.

But then you say no, feel guilty for a bit, and forget about it a minute later. Whereas you'll feel like an idiot after donating just because you were guilted into it when you really wanted to refuse.

If you really feel like donating a buck, it's fine, but not donating is also fine.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Ask, "have you donated?"

Then f - off.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I do the same thing when I get asked to donate to some made up charity that I do when:

-they ask me to sign up for their stupid store credit card
-ask me if I'd like to also buy the overly marked up cheap piece of shit their manager told them to pimp in the morning meeting
-engage in useless banter about shit that I don't care about.
-do you have a stupid fucking rewards card that either a) does absolutely nothing but accumulate points at the rate of 1 for every $3000 spent, and you can't buy anything for less than 450 points or b) make it so you have to pay extra NOT to use it(hi Save-on!)

-No.
-No.
-Yeah. It's hot.
-Eat me

Buh bye.

There is a reason I will stand in line for the self check-out when there is a till available. People shop online a little because its cheaper, a little because its convenient but a lot because there is NO BULLSHIT.

The guy dropping off your package doesn't want to talk to you so badly he won't even stop at your door to hand you your shit. If it needs to be signed for, he doesn't even check that I sign it Donald Duck every goddamed time.

And I like it.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
I am Hook'd on RS

im poor as fk right now and every dollar count
so no to donation
whateverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
I usually donate if it will make my change even. And if I'm in the line up with my buddy behind me I'll donate just so I can make him look bad, especially if its a decent looking cashier.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #35
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I'll donate if it's something like Children's Hospital @ Costco... I only do $1 at a time. Sure, I'm cheap but it adds up when I do it every time I go shopping there.

If you don't want to donate you can always try asking, "What do we say to the god of death?" You might find a GOT fan or an awkward situation.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #36
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Say no. If you really want to do do something good donate to a charity of your cause. Get a tax receipt and get about 15% back when you file your taxes.
josayeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #37
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I say no because I don't want the company getting the tax credit... I'll donate it personally if I believe in the cause.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #38
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
just a question.. does your donation get taxed by the store when you do it at checkout?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #39
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Awkward moment when you say no thanks and you end up feeling guilty

and lol at the ppl going "o i already donated"

SUUUUUUUUUUURE BUDDY GUY.

But yeah, for me personally; if i got awesome customer service from the staff, i don't mind saying yes for the donation...if not....
i'm not sure what awesome customer service has to do with donating to a charity... this is not a charity concealed as tips for cashiers is it?
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #40
I don't get it

Happened to me at Toys R us and Winners. I donated for toys r us and felt so damn bad, cuz i knew out of that dollar , 99 cent went towards the CEO of toys r us.

Winners asked me again, I said "not today" heh.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
Director of RS Cares

I usually say no as I already donate to that (or other) charities on my own.

I, however, will NEVER say no to a child fundraising money for their school/girl guides/scouts etc etc. I know it's not for a charity or anything but considering I use to be one of those kids..I know how it feels.

Schools/Groups give you this HUGE ass box of chocolates/cookies to sell and your lovely parents are only willing to buy so many. So there you are..standing outside of a grocery store/mall feeling bad cause you're getting rejected by almost everyone...

UGH. Yeah, I can't say no to kids. Even to Highschool-ers. Luckily in highschool my dad allowed me to walk around the office to sell my chocolately goods. When you're a teen you'd probably feel even more embarassed to stand outside in a public area. Sometimes I get a little skeptical but I usually just ask them to present a student ID so I know they're actually from that school...and if they did have anything to hide they'd say no.

I did get scammed by a Girl Guide once though. Her and her mom were selling on Robson Street and told me it was $6 a box. Now, I LOVE GG cookies and I know prices don't change often...so I asked 'I thought it was $5?' and her mom goes "yeah, they raised their prices." Turns out, they were selling them at a profit. I mean, it's only $1 but it was the principle of it all!!! GIRL GUIDES!!! COME ON!!!