REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Prepaid SIM in Korea (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685085-prepaid-sim-korea.html)

SkinnyPupp 06-10-2013 08:18 PM

Prepaid SIM in Korea

PLEASE tell me it's as easy as places like Hong Kong and Thailand, and not like Japan or China...

(unless it's not.. I still need to know if it's not...)

Going to do some googling in the meantime. This kind of info can be sketchy though, which is why I posted here first

Jer3 06-10-2013 10:19 PM

i think this is what your looking for. also note that incoming calls in korea are free i believe.

kt Expat Blog :: Save Money by SIMply picking up a SIM Card
kt Expat Blog :: Prepaid Services

i don't know about the ease of getting it but i do know kt-olleh is probably your best option for anything phone related in korea.

SkinnyPupp 06-10-2013 11:06 PM

Thanks, no mention of data there though. At least I know where to start now!

bcedhk 06-10-2013 11:09 PM

IIRC from living in Korea for about a year, the only way for short term cellphone access is to rent one either at the airport or outside.

getting a sim card in korea is like getting and ID. You gotta register it with your Green card/Korean citizenship.

bcedhk 06-10-2013 11:10 PM

The Data that is offered by KT and SK throughout Korea, you gotta register for it.

SkinnyPupp 06-10-2013 11:11 PM

Fuck so it does suck like the shitty countries. :fuuuuu:

Jer3 06-10-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy89 (Post 8257968)
The Data that is offered by KT and SK throughout Korea, you gotta register for it.

hm according to the site

"For visitors to Korea who will be staying fewer than 90 days, or for those who make multiple trips to Korea throughout the year, kt's prepaid services make it easy to stay connected."

for someone thats staying in the country for less than 3 months, they would be on a tourist visa i'm assuming. i can't be 100% sure but this seems to be aimed at tourist?

anyways, best to ask on their twitter: https://twitter.com/olleh_expats

their very active with their social media so you should get an answer within a day at max. if not, call their customer service line. i called the other day and they had fluent english speaking csr's.

46_valentinor 06-18-2013 07:39 PM

when i was in korea for 3 months this year, i had to wait about 3 days after entering korea for my passport to get updated into the registry and then i just went to sk telecom with my canadian passport and i think it cost me about 30 dollars for the sim card, minutes and wifi access.

46_valentinor 06-18-2013 07:43 PM

by the way, you can't just walk into any sktelecom dealers and ask for a prepaid, most of them will just reject you and tell you to go elsewhere. you have to find the actual main branch to get it processed, if you will be in hongdae area i can tell you the one i went to.

SkinnyPupp 06-18-2013 07:44 PM

Already back from Korea, just needed it for a few days. There is actually quite a bit of free wifi around, which was a pleasant surprise. In Hong Kong or Tokyo you almost never come across it.

46_valentinor 06-18-2013 07:50 PM

yea, with all the coffee shops around everywhere you are almost always in wifi range. i think i have access to all the coffee shop's wifi networks in hongdae LOL.
weird, i thought tokyo would have a lot of wifi networks since its such a high tech city but there was absolutely none.

SkinnyPupp 06-18-2013 07:52 PM

People think Tokyo and Japan in general is 'high tech' but nothing could be further from the truth. They are a good 5-10 years behind the west in many ways, depending on what you're talking about. In some ways such as banking, they are at least 20 years behind.

tool001 07-04-2013 11:52 AM

maybe little late, but i just got back from korea, prepaid sim with 40min talk.and 1gb date was about 35$

went to olleh store with friend.. go it setup..took about 10 min,