REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Prepaid SIM in Korea

PLEASE tell me it's as easy as places like Hong Kong and Thailand, and not like Japan or China...

(unless it's not.. I still need to know if it's not...)

Going to do some googling in the meantime. This kind of info can be sketchy though, which is why I posted here first
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i think this is what your looking for. also note that incoming calls in korea are free i believe.

kt Expat Blog :: Save Money by SIMply picking up a SIM Card
kt Expat Blog :: Prepaid Services

i don't know about the ease of getting it but i do know kt-olleh is probably your best option for anything phone related in korea.

Last edited by Jer3; 06-10-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #3

Thanks, no mention of data there though. At least I know where to start now!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
IIRC from living in Korea for about a year, the only way for short term cellphone access is to rent one either at the airport or outside.

getting a sim card in korea is like getting and ID. You gotta register it with your Green card/Korean citizenship.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
The Data that is offered by KT and SK throughout Korea, you gotta register for it.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #6

Fuck so it does suck like the shitty countries.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
The Data that is offered by KT and SK throughout Korea, you gotta register for it.
hm according to the site

"For visitors to Korea who will be staying fewer than 90 days, or for those who make multiple trips to Korea throughout the year, kt's prepaid services make it easy to stay connected."

for someone thats staying in the country for less than 3 months, they would be on a tourist visa i'm assuming. i can't be 100% sure but this seems to be aimed at tourist?

anyways, best to ask on their twitter: https://twitter.com/olleh_expats

their very active with their social media so you should get an answer within a day at max. if not, call their customer service line. i called the other day and they had fluent english speaking csr's.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

when i was in korea for 3 months this year, i had to wait about 3 days after entering korea for my passport to get updated into the registry and then i just went to sk telecom with my canadian passport and i think it cost me about 30 dollars for the sim card, minutes and wifi access.

Last edited by 46_valentinor; 06-18-2013 at 07:46 PM.
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

by the way, you can't just walk into any sktelecom dealers and ask for a prepaid, most of them will just reject you and tell you to go elsewhere. you have to find the actual main branch to get it processed, if you will be in hongdae area i can tell you the one i went to.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

Already back from Korea, just needed it for a few days. There is actually quite a bit of free wifi around, which was a pleasant surprise. In Hong Kong or Tokyo you almost never come across it.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #11

yea, with all the coffee shops around everywhere you are almost always in wifi range. i think i have access to all the coffee shop's wifi networks in hongdae LOL.
weird, i thought tokyo would have a lot of wifi networks since its such a high tech city but there was absolutely none.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #12

People think Tokyo and Japan in general is 'high tech' but nothing could be further from the truth. They are a good 5-10 years behind the west in many ways, depending on what you're talking about. In some ways such as banking, they are at least 20 years behind.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

maybe little late, but i just got back from korea, prepaid sim with 40min talk.and 1gb date was about 35$

went to olleh store with friend.. go it setup..took about 10 min,
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote