REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

When FIFA and the Canadian soccer body allows it and doesn't have a problem with it and also without any medical support for the claim that turbans are a safety hazard, then one has no choice but to make these conclusions of the Quebec people in charge of this. They first said it was due to safety and once that was disproved, they said it has to do with fifa and that has also been disproved. What other potential reason can there be to exclude kids from playing a sport. Saying it's advantageous? Well a head protector like the one pictured above can be criticized as well because it provides extra padding for heading a ball which could help provide extra ball control or make a goal keeper dive for balls more readily because of not fearing head injury due to the protection; see how bullshit that sounds... let the kids play.
Very sad when sport gets destroyed by politics and other non-athletic means especially when it comes to the participation of kids who just want to play for the hell of playing.
Advertisement
van_city23 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Are these banned:

You know why those arnt banned? Because they are for medical use and protection. Turbans can add an unfair height, if some kid scores a goal off his turban you'd better believe people will be pissed.
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
And that begs the question -- is that "affecting the game" more important than the religious discrimination being placed against the turban-wearing players?

From a universal value's perspective, I think it is more important to avoid that discrimination. FIFA, the world's top soccer governing body, agrees as well.
I'll retract my post earlier. I missed it and didn't realize even FIFA supported it.

I think avoiding discrimination is definitely more important.
I was just thinking along the lines that at the highest competitive level, every miniscule detail of "gear" could make a difference.

But if even FIFA allows it and deems it doesn't really change the game, then this Quebec league is just being stubborn.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
You know why those arnt banned? Because they are for medical use and protection. Turbans can add an unfair height, if some kid scores a goal off his turban you'd better believe people will be pissed.

FIFA Womens U-20

Is that an unfair advantage? Why isn't she banned from playing.

It's pure racism. Quebec also banned Sikhs from the parliament buildings.

Last edited by Manic!; 06-12-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

because its some floppy upward pony tail, not some tightly wrapped, able to deflect a ball, turban.

Its not racist, you don't like the rules don't play.

If it were in the worldcup or some highup competition ,and there was an issue of it being used unfairly, FIFA would ban that shit asap.

I have never seen a turban in a high level game, FIFA supports this for PR, not because they have delt with it before.
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
because its some floppy upward pony tail, not some tightly wrapped, able to deflect a ball, turban.

Its not racist, you don't like the rules don't play.

If it were in the worldcup or some highup competition ,and there was an issue of it being used unfairly, FIFA would ban that shit asap.

I have never seen a turban in a high level game, FIFA supports this for PR, not because they have delt with it before.

We are not talking about the world cup we are talking about minor league soccer. Like the Canadian men will ever make the world cup the way soccer Canada is being run. Also are you telling me that bun on the top of her head zero effect on the balls moment?

FYI: This is what we are talking about:

Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
some tightly wrapped, able to deflect a ball, turban.

Quote:
I have never seen a turban in a high level game
An adult will consider his/her religion vs. profession if they choose to make soccer a career. However, I agree, I have never seen a turban in high level game. But, this issue in Quebec is also about kids. The QSF is denying sikh children to varied competition, exposure and the chance to make soccer a career if they choose to.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
i dont think anybody is trying to make the argument that a turban gives anybody a competitive advantage. that is possibly one of the stupidest fucking things ive ever heard.

its not a safety issue, its even less of a competitive advantage issue. its 100% xenophobia and racism.

wording from FIFI

"All items of clothing or equipment other than the basic must be inspected by the referee and determined not to be dangerous."
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #34
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Only an idiot would think a pile of soft hair can give a player an advantage.

The league's directors are just a bunch of assholes.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #35

Quebec is our version of the deep south in terms of being narrow minded and proudly so.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Your move now Quebec, let's see if this continues to be about race or if they come to their senses..

FIFA says Canadian soccer players can wear turbans

Quote:
Soccer's world body has struck a blow against Quebec's turban ban, saying such headwear is perfectly acceptable on the pitch.

FIFA said in a statement Friday that it is authorizing the wearing of male head covers at all levels of Canadian soccer.

The statement says the headwear must be the same colour as the jersey, look professional, must not be attached to the jersey and not pose any danger to players.

FIFA's position comes four days after the Canadian Soccer Association suspended Quebec's soccer federation after the provincial body banned the wearing of Sikh headwear.

The Quebec organization had cited safety issues for its decision and the fact that the garments were not endorsed by FIFA.

A spokesman for the Quebec Soccer Federation says it will hold a news conference tomorrow to discuss FIFA's ruling and that there will be no comment today.

The decision to suspend Quebec will begin being felt this weekend as at least 20 out-of-province teams skip a tournament in Montreal.

Some players in Quebec leagues have decided to wear turbans in protest of the ban.

That ban had the support of Quebec's Parti Quebecois government and some sovereigntists have even used the case as an argument for Quebec independence.

However, many federal politicians opposed the ban and applauded the CSA suspension — with the Conservatives and Liberals being the most forceful.

The FIFA decision extends a decision on female head scarves from October 2012.

FIFA sent a letter to the Canadian Soccer Association on Thursday and authorized it to permit all players to wear head covers "in all areas and on all levels of the Canadian football community."

FIFA said the matter will be discussed again in October with a final decision taking place in March 2014.

The World Sikh Organization welcomed FIFA's declaration.

"It's been our position from the outset that the accommodation of the turban shouldn't hinge on FIFA rules but instead on Canadian tradition on diversity and acceptance and also on Canadian rules and law," said spokesman Balpreet Singh.

"This announcement is certainly good news, it's absolutely clear now that any restriction on the wearing of the turban is illegitimate and we're hopeful the Quebec Soccer Federation will now immediately lift its ban.

"The children should really be allowed to play as soon as possible."
van_city23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #37
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
^^ Always nice to see some racist / discriminatory suckers getting backed into a corner and put under the spot light.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote