REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Is U.S./Global intervention inevitable in Syria?

obama said today he'd increase support and aid to rebels after 150 were killed by sarin gas attacks.

what do you guys think? looks like an eventual military quagmire...followed by potentially way more after the inevitable power struggle after the current reigme is overthrown
Advertisement
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Obama said he'd increase support after the rebels have basically lost (due to recent pushes from outside help) as for the Sarin gas no one is saying who did it because it sounds like it may have been the rebels who used it some american politicians are pointing the finger at the establishment though

Anyway its not like the Americans and Brits et al. aren't meddling in there already... what was it a month or two ago? where John McCain was in Syria speaking with rebels with a contingent of spec ops and cia reps that brought him in.

Considering the war crimes that are already certain to have been performed by the rebels It'd be ridiculous to support them further the West should just back off entirely and let Saudi Arabia pursue it if they're still that gung-ho about it the country is ruined already for some stupid unknown aim. If the rebels win they're going to wipe out the Alawites (they've been trying all through this "war") all because they're part of the same religious sect as Assad, just like the Libyan rebels did to Black Africans and people from the same tribe and village as Gaddafi
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
obama said today he'd increase support and aid to rebels after 150 were killed by sarin gas attacks.

what do you guys think? looks like an eventual military quagmire...followed by potentially way more after the inevitable power struggle after the current reigme is overthrown
We're going to balance the budgets after we wind down the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan...then bring them on back up after we go into Syria.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

Harper was in the UK today calling for no intervention because the rebels are filled fanatical war criminals
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #5

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
there are no winners here

'we' stay out, innocent people die a horrible death, and others are terrorized - ppl will say 'why haven't the west helped us?'

'we' go in to help - an collateral damage will be blown out of proportion, ppl will say 'the west (or more directly the US) aren't the world police'

personally, i'd like to think that the west would go in and help - but it's thankless and we (the west) have our own economic problems to worry about.

real toughie
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

Thats why if they want to go in they should go in as Peacekeepers like we, Canada, used to be. Now peacekeeping isnt ever on anyones mind its always about going to blow one side or the other up and having governments secretly meddle within also draws on criticisms since they're helping in perpetuating the issue
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

U.S. warns Russia against sending missiles to Syria - Washington Post

Basically it's okay for America to intervene but no other country can. Because America is the only right and just way

All countries have their own interests and America is no different. Setting up a puppet government didn't work either.

If Syria wants peace the only way to do it is to divide the country in half just like Taiwan and China.
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post
U.S. warns Russia against sending missiles to Syria - Washington Post

Basically it's okay for America to intervene but no other country can. Because America is the only right and just way

All countries have their own interests and America is no different. Setting up a puppet government didn't work either.

If Syria wants peace the only way to do it is to divide the country in half just like Taiwan and China.
Have the US sent in any weapons? Especially something as advanced as the Russian missiles? My understanding is the US has only provided food and medical supplies, but no weapons.

Edit: It appears the US is now going to use some form of military assistance (decision literally just made in the last couple hours) because they claim to have high confidence that Assad used the chemical weapons. No details, however, on what that might mean.

BTW, your article was dated May 31st.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Doubt American people and congress will let it happen. Probably covert aid through the CIA, and then we'll watch the Syrian "friends" turn on the US 10 years from now. It's also a very confusing situation.

Let's list who's involved(feel free to correct me if I missed some):

Rebels
- Foreign Fighters/other Mujahideen ( Chechnya, Yemen, etc.)
- Extremists who don't like the US or Al-Qaida
- Extremists Allied to Al Qaida
- Free Syrian Army (good guys?)
- Freedom Fighters (good guys?)
- Kurds(good guys?)

Assad
- Syrian Military
- Alawite Militia
- Other Assad Militia
- Iran: Qud's Force, Hezbollah, Some Palestinian Groups
- Russia(??)

Problem is you can't tell who is with who.

If a civil war lasts two years and 100,000 die, it's all part of the plan

But if 150 people are gassed then everybody loses their minds!
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

its gonna happen..

syria is west of iraq which is west of iran

giving a straight sea/air passage to iran
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

On paper, the quickest and most legitimate way of halting the carnage that has plagued Syria for 2 years, is through a meaningful negotiation process involving both sides, based upon the framework of the Geneva Communique from last June. The U.S and U.K are vehemently opposed to such an initiative, declaring that "legitimate" negotiations cannot take place so long as Assad is still in power.
The U.S/U.K won't be sending their own troops into Syria, instead they'll continue supplying material support to the rebels by way of arms and other various military equipment. If anything, since the E.U recently passed legislation that lifts the arms embargo on Syria, they are now in a position to openly provide weapons to the rebels without questions surrounding the legalities of such measures. The west knows that Russia has been and continues to be the major supplier of arms to Assad's regime, therefore, they will attempt to balance the power between the two sides.
Geo-politically, the area is treacherous for any direct Western involvement. It's a known fact that Hezbollah is operating alongside Assad's forces and as someone above mentioned, the sectarian violence is only making matters worse. Lebanon stands to be dragged into this conflict kicking and screaming. Already under extreme duress from the influx of approximately 1 million refugees, Lebanon has but meagre resources available to deal with this calamity. There is also a very fragile sectarian balance at stake within the country. Just next door--Israel--whom is extremely uneasy at the notion of Hezbollah acquiring Iranian arms shipments in Syria, as was alluded to when Israel purportedly engaged in air attacks on targets within Syria.
I digress..the ramifications here are huge!
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
I don't get it

Reasons why the US will not intervene in Syria:

1. Libya had no allies. Syria has allies in Russia and Iran. Russia can block any UN action and arms Syria reasonably well, and if Iran gets fully involved the result will be a bloodbath and a blockade of the Strait of Hormuz. Even if the US Fifth Fleet stops that, expect oil to hit $250+ a barrel. Then the Iraqi Shi'as and Kurds will get involved, and so on and so forth.

2. Gaddafi deliberately kept the Libyan Army weak, so it was easy for NATO to whoop their asses. The Syrian Army is one of the largest in the world. Not so easy for NATO to engage.

2. Hizbullah and al-Qaeda have infiltrated the rebels. If the rebels kill Assad then there will be a genocide of Shi'as, Kurds and Syrian Christians. There can be no secular Syrian state under rebel control.

4. The Syrian Opposition is in a power struggle unlike Libya's National Transitional Council. They can't decide on a unified voice.

5. The American public is tired of meddling in the Middle East, and soldiers are tired of it too.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

Its another ZioAmerican war with 90% of the rebels consisting of poor mercenary Arabs which their own governments arent free. They fight under the flag of U.S. proxy sponsored Al-Quada whom are supposet Muslims... that have killed other Muslim and Arab people (93,000 in Syria alone) but have never, not once, ever targeted anything Isreali."Arch enemy" Isreal has soft targets everywhere in the world, but Al-Quda has never attacked any of its targets because its a tool of the ZioAmericans.

General Wesley Clark (Ret.), explains that the Bush Administration planned to take out 7 countries in 5 years: Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Iran
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #14

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
^^ just realized I'm on his signature/ignore list - yay!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Actually, that post makes more sense then most of the others. Probably more so if I could read it in english.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/wo...agewanted=all&

Spoiler!

Republicans have been clamouring for large-scale military intervention, and Dick Cheney even popped into Syria to meet with rebel leaders--can't believe they didn't use the opportunity to off him. But at the same time they've also been calling for Obama to not ship weapons over, claiming "They'll just be arming our enemies". He's in sort of a no-win situation.

The light arms he'll likely be sending over will be things like Assault Rifles and Machine Guns, simply because the heavier weaponry they could really used (manpack SSM/SAM launchers) would be very easily acquired by the Al'Quaeda portions of the anti-Alawite fighters and would then very easily be turned on American targets in future.

American politicians are very conscious of the first time they intervened in Afghanistan and what it's meant in terms of repercussions over the last forty years.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
I subscribe to Revscene

They have some sophisticated weapons... on top of chemical weapons.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
A liveleak video with a single group of soldiers with some random guy with a single launcher, against a rebel group that is consistently painted as being decimated and unable to deal with the Government's air force.

Hmm....yes, I think I'll choose to believe the video.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Have the US sent in any weapons? Especially something as advanced as the Russian missiles? My understanding is the US has only provided food and medical supplies, but no weapons.

Edit: It appears the US is now going to use some form of military assistance (decision literally just made in the last couple hours) because they claim to have high confidence that Assad used the chemical weapons. No details, however, on what that might mean.

BTW, your article was dated May 31st.
Israel.

Just because the US hasn't supplied Syrian rebels with weapons doesn't mean they don't supply weapons at all.

High confidence? Just like how Iraq harbored WMDs right?

Bet you also didn't know Israel bordered Syria too? Don't be surprised if there was an ulterior motive behind the US.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Israel.

Just because the US hasn't supplied Syrian rebels with weapons doesn't mean they don't supply weapons at all.

High confidence? Just like how Iraq harbored WMDs right?

Bet you also didn't know Israel bordered Syria too? Don't be surprised if there was an ulterior motive behind the US.
No, I never knew Israel bordered Syria. Forgot to go see when I visited Israel many years ago. Just stayed in my hotel room afraid to go outside for fear of being bombed.

Your original comment was "Basically it's okay for America to intervene but no other country can." Well, at the time the article you posted was written, America hadn't intervened. And Russia was thinking of expanding their intervention by sending in advanced missile systems (on top of the weapons they've already been supplying to Assad).

If you want to bash the US over Syria, then do it when they've done something, not because you "think" they're going to.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
American politicians are very conscious of the first time they intervened in Afghanistan and what it's meant in terms of repercussions over the last forty years.
Well, maybe someone learned that its not enough to 'win', but you need to stick around and re-build the country you destroyed too.

That is a lesson that was able to be learned in World War I, but they tried again in Afghanistan.

Fuck it, they'll be fine is not going to work, because desperate people make desperate decisions and one guy standing up saying, "you live like this because of the Americans", (or, the british in 1920 germany) leads people down a path that we know too well.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #22
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
No, I never knew Israel bordered Syria. Forgot to go see when I visited Israel many years ago. Just stayed in my hotel room afraid to go outside for fear of being bombed.

Your original comment was "Basically it's okay for America to intervene but no other country can." Well, at the time the article you posted was written, America hadn't intervened. And Russia was thinking of expanding their intervention by sending in advanced missile systems (on top of the weapons they've already been supplying to Assad).

If you want to bash the US over Syria, then do it when they've done something, not because you "think" they're going to.
/facepalm

It doesn't matter if Russia decides to heavily arm Syria, it's the actions of America that is controversial. You may think it's wrong for Russia to send heavy arms but they are allies. Just because you think it's wrong doesn't mean anything.

This is no different than America sending help to South Korea.

Russia dismisses US claims of Syrian chemical weapons use | World news | guardian.co.uk

Stop trying to believe the Western media, we don't 100% know if chemical agents were used or not. We just have both sides shooting off claims and America giving reasons why they want to jump in the fray.

Edit:

I like how Syrian Rebels with chemical agents were completely ignored. Either way Syrian rebels consist of Terrorists and I thought it was the exact thing America was fighting against.

Last edited by tarobbt; 06-14-2013 at 07:55 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
We just have both sides shooting off claims and America giving reasons why they want to jump in the fray.

Edit: Apparently these 'Rebels' also consist of Terrorists....
Here's the problem:

If Russia helps the government of Syria, at the end of the day they have stengthened the relationship with a known ally.

Risk to Russia? minimal. They already have a relationship in place with a well located country that keeps Russia involved in the mid-east.

If the US helps the rebels...well, for one, just because they got help from the US, doesn't mean they are going to be allies with the US once the government falls. History shows that happens very little. You have then created a new state with an unknown and unstable government.

Oh, and you piss off Russia. Not usually the best thing to do.

By providing small arms in proxy while Russia arms the other side, you are in fact prolonging a war killing more people.

And this is the thanks you get America for being World Police. You are screwed and you haven't done a thing.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
It's regretable that people will continue to be killed, but until you're dealing with a unified opposition, you risk picking the wrong side. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, Assad is on the wrong side of history. His chickens will come to roost, perhaps later than we want, but he'll be forced out eventually.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #25

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Russia decides to heavily arm Syria, it's the actions of America that is controversial. You may think it's wrong for Russia to send heavy arms but they are allies. Just because you think it's wrong doesn't mean anything.

This is no different than America sending help to South Korea.

Russia dismisses US claims of Syrian chemical weapons use | World news | guardian.co.uk

Stop trying to believe the Western media, we don't 100% know if chemical agents were used or not. We just have both sides shooting off claims and America giving reasons why they want to jump in the fray.

I like how Syrian Rebels with chemical agents were completely ignored. Either way Syrian rebels consist of Terrorists and I thought it was the exact thing America was fighting against.
You're trying to twist things around - it won't work. Your original statement was about America "intervening" which is wrong. They haven't "intervened" yet. Now you're off all over the place about whether I know Syria is next to Israel or that I shouldn't listen to Western media.

It doesn't matter if Russia arms Syria - it's the American actions that are controversial? Did you actually make such a stupid remark? It's no different than the US sending help to South Korea? Really? You're comparing Syria with South Korea? Is this CiC with another account?