REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Teen Quits US School After Teachers 'Bully' Him for Being Canadian (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685232-teen-quits-us-school-after-teachers-bully-him-being-canadian.html)

Gh0stRider 06-14-2013 10:13 AM

Teen Quits US School After Teachers 'Bully' Him for Being Canadian

Quote:

A teenager from the city of Watertown in Upstate New York says he had no choice but to leave his Christian school after taunts about his Canadian heritage refused to cease.

In a surprising twist, however, 15-year-old Noah Kilpatrick says it wasn't the students doing the taunting, but rather the teachers.

Specifically, Theodore Curinga, who serves as both Faith Fellowship Christian School's history teacher and principal.

"He would make fun of the way I dressed and he'd say, 'Oh, you're wearing Canadian colors,'" the Ottawa-born teen recalled to local CBS affiliate WWNY. "And I'd be like, 'Yeah, I am. Thanks, Mr. Curinga.' He'd say, 'That wasn't a compliment.'"

Noah says Curinga brought his anti-Canadian sentiments into the classroom with him, as did at least one other teacher.

"History class and sometimes math class … they were stereotyping Canadians and saying we were all stupid — it was offensive," Noah told the National Post.

One time, Curinga employed a Canadian coin Noah accidentally used in the school's cafeteria to make fun of him in front of the whole school.

Curinga allegedly held up the toonie (a Canadian 2 dollar coin) at a school assembly and reminded students that Canadian currency was not legal tender in the states.

"Of course, everybody looked at Noah," said the boy's mother Tina.

Attempts by Noah to point out that he was an American citizen and had been living in the country for the past 10 years fell on deaf ears, and Tina made the decision to remove him from the school.

She says she tried to speak with school officials about the matter, but was given the runaround.

"And that's how things ended with me pulling Noah out and no one wanting to sit down and discuss the things that were said and done and how a child was feeling," she told 7 News.

The school declined to discuss the matter "in public venues," but has apparently been motivated by the media exposure to call for a meeting of the board of directors.

In the meantime, Noah is completing his last semester of ninth grade from home through an online course.

Tina says she hasn't ruled out the possibility of leaving the US altogether.

"This is so intense right now that if it stays this way … if we feel ostracized this way, then we won’t stay," she told the Post.
Teen Quits US School After Teachers 'Bully' Him for Being Canadian

read the comments at the bottom :rukidding:

kwy 06-14-2013 10:17 AM

Should've gone to a real school..

dinosaur 06-14-2013 10:41 AM

fucking thumpers

Gridlock 06-14-2013 10:51 AM

Another fine journalistic endeavour from Gawker.

sonick 06-14-2013 10:59 AM

Soundy 06-14-2013 11:07 AM

I thought Canadians had thicker skins than this. :rukidding:

Verdasco 06-14-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8260605)
I thought Canadians had thicker skins than this. :rukidding:

so having thick skin correlates with 15 year olds getting picked on by TEACHERS, not STUDENTS....? :fulloffuck:

Verdasco 06-14-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Curinga allegedly held up the toonie (a Canadian 2 dollar coin) at a school assembly and reminded students that Canadian currency was not legal tender in the states.

"Of course, everybody looked at Noah," said the boy's mother Tina.
bitch please :fuckthatshit: rather have toonies and loonies instead of stupid green bills that look the same (and easily replicated)

jeedee 06-14-2013 12:26 PM

MURICA!!

StylinRed 06-14-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8260587)
Another fine journalistic endeavour from Gawker.

here one from cbc
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8260042)

Lomac 06-14-2013 01:28 PM

My old high school history teacher had her kid go down to the States for some student exchange program for a couple years. I'm not sure if it's mandatory country wide or if it was just the state he was in, but one of the classes he had to take was American History. He would send copies to his mom of some of the notes he had to take during said history class, and we were shown a few of them. The amount of information that was slanted to a specific viewpoint was absolutely brutal. Since his mom was a history teacher and he already knew all the stuff he was being taught, he started calling his teacher on a bunch of the "facts." After a couple months of him constantly correcting his teacher on facts that were accepted by the majority of the world and not just the biased text book ones, he was kicked out of the class for "being disruptive." I suppose it might have been slightly justified in this case, both his classmates and teacher would go after him for being a "dumb Canuck" who sided with terrorists because he kept questioning the legitimacy of what they were being taught.

Everymans 06-14-2013 03:37 PM

poor kid couldn't handle the banter. If teachers were mocking my heritage I'd take it in stride. I'd probably lay the "Eh's" on really thick, constantly eat maple bacon, maybe even crack open a beer in class. "It's what we do up there in our igloos. You yanks cant handle it err somethin?"

Best solution to stop bullying, mock the bullies by showing that their shenanigans don't affect you one bit.

Hehe 06-14-2013 08:13 PM

Poor kid, but I think the parents could have taught him better rather than just pull him out of school.

Heck, the kid is probably dual-citizen. It's a privilege not many enjoy and the benefits is beyond than just travel freely. I'd be bragging all day if I were the kid. :fuckthatshit:

Nightwalker 06-14-2013 09:01 PM

Sounds like a pretty shitty learning environment. Kids have it rough enough just dealing with other kids.

Faith Fellowship Christian School though... :heckno:

Maybe it's good something got him out of there.

westopher 06-14-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 8260558)
read the comments at the bottom :rukidding:

Obviously 90% of those comments are satirical, and fucking hilarious no less.

4444 06-15-2013 08:32 AM

there seems to be a MAJOR inconsistency here:

"Attempts by Noah to point out that he was an American citizen and had been living in the country for the past 10 years fell on deaf ears"

So a 15 year old, living in the US for 10 years (let's assume for 40+ weeks of the year in the US, and assuming that his parents lived there too, as who would send a 5 year old away??) - why would he still be mistakenly referring to toonies and referring to anything else canadian?

After 10 years in a country you lose the use of your home nation idiosyncrasies in public - i know as i am an immigrant to this country, and previously the US. you still use them at home, behind closed doors, or with family, but you very quickly learn not to do them in public (as ppl don't have the foggiest what you're talking about - i know from experience!)

Not at all condoning what was done here - a teacher should be a teacher and a protector of all students' right to learn and grow - HOWEVER, something about this story doesn't seem right to me.

tiger_handheld 06-15-2013 08:32 AM

should've packed a smith & wesson in his school bag to show how 'murican he was..

kwy 06-15-2013 10:30 AM

It says the teacher in question here is a history teacher. I wonder what kind of history they would teach at a Christian school..

westopher 06-15-2013 01:09 PM

Something along the lines of Jesus winning the vietnam war for America and bringing them democracy, I assume.

CorneringArtist 06-15-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8261244)
Something along the lines of Jesus winning the vietnam war for America and bringing them democracy, I assume.

My high school history teacher made one American student angry, and another one cry when he broke to them that the US didn't technically win the Vietnam war because their objective was to prevent the spread of communism in the country. Needless to say, that objective failed, yet to this day there are Americans that play both the "yeah but it wasn't technically a war" and the "yeah but we killed more of them" cards.

kwy 06-15-2013 09:38 PM

the vietnam war was a complete fucking disaster by any standards

Nightwalker 06-16-2013 01:32 AM

No one seems to know about the concurrent "Secret War" in Laos that resulted in the USA dropping more bombs on it were dropped in the entirety of WWII. Equal to one bombing every 8 minutes for 9 straight years.

I'm in Laos right now, crazy that this isn't common knowledge.

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-16-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwalker (Post 8261540)
No one seems to know about the concurrent "Secret War" in Laos that resulted in the USA dropping more bombs on it were dropped in the entirety of WWII. Equal to one bombing every 8 minutes for 9 straight years.

I'm in Laos right now, crazy that this isn't common knowledge.

i thought that was pretty common knowledge. vietnam was brutal.

ts14 06-16-2013 05:55 AM

i cant take muricans seriously after i saw this vid lol

SkinnyPupp 06-16-2013 08:24 AM

Does this really need to be an American bashing thread?

And btw saying "murica" is about as cool as saying "swag" so stop