REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Speech formats (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685514-speech-formats.html)

kungpow 06-22-2013 01:44 PM

Speech formats

I want a unique speech format to deliver my speech, I currently have the following in mind:
-straight up speech
-Q & A speech with another person

What else can I do?

Thanks

Gridlock 06-22-2013 02:01 PM

Hi! and welcome to movie phone!

Playing in a theatre near you, we have:

'What the fuck are you talking about?' Starring Owen Wilson.

And new this weekend,

'No seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?' That's also starring Owen Wilson. Fucker's in everything these days.

It would help if you actually talked a little bit about what type of speech...cause I'm going to tell you as a person that has delivered a eulogy, a Q&A style is really going to fall flat. I also would say that an Eastwood style empty chair would be more depressing than anything else.

Now, if you are for some reason giving an acceptance speech, or a commencement address...they may possibly work.

Soooo....what you up to?

jeedee 06-22-2013 02:19 PM

Depends who/where you're giving the speech to............

kungpow 06-22-2013 02:30 PM

Just an informal speech for a wedding. I want to make it interesting by having a good format. Something that is different than a straight up speech. I can pair up as well.

yray 06-22-2013 02:34 PM

Graeme S 06-22-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kungpow (Post 8266077)
Just an informal speech for a wedding. I want to make it interesting by having a good format. Something that is different than a straight up speech. I can pair up as well.

I'm going to give you the same advice that I was given when being trained to be a teacher, and the same advice that I give all of the people who I've trained to be teachers.

Just because you've liked a speech given by someone does not mean you can or should do the same thing.

'Now why would that be?' you may be wondering. To which I would reply thusly:

"Anyone acting out of their normal comfort zone will act like someone acting out of their comfort zone." You ever seen someone tell a joke and it's fucking awesome? And then you try and tell the same joke and your friends are like "What a fucking asshole, I can't believe he'd make a joke like that!" Remember when you had that boring teacher in highschool who one day heard how awesome his exciting coworker was, and then tried to be funny and exciting? And how he was even worse than before because now it was even more weird and unnatural?

That's what you're going to sound like if you try and do someone else's speech.

I've got a speech for a wedding this coming Friday. Actually, I'm the emcee. What am I going to do? Be funny, be spontaneous, and have a few talking points but not stress about it too much.

If you're not good at doing jokes, don't do jokes. If you don't have a good sense of comedic timing (and/or your potential partner wouldn't), then don't do a Q/A. Figure out how you speak most comfortably and do that.

Oh, but make sure you embarrass the fuck out of the couple. That's not a choice.

westopher 06-22-2013 03:37 PM

Graeme is especially right about acting out of your comfort zone. There is nothing more painful than watching someone try so hard to be something they're not. Do what feels natural.

zulutango 06-22-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8266109)
Graeme is especially right about acting out of your comfort zone. There is nothing more painful than watching someone try so hard to be something they're not. Do what feels natural.

Would love to see what kind of a response that invitation gets. :D

dinosaur 06-22-2013 06:19 PM

Thread title made me think of this immediately...