REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Speech formats

I want a unique speech format to deliver my speech, I currently have the following in mind:
-straight up speech
-Q & A speech with another person

What else can I do?

Thanks
Advertisement
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Hi! and welcome to movie phone!

Playing in a theatre near you, we have:

'What the fuck are you talking about?' Starring Owen Wilson.

And new this weekend,

'No seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?' That's also starring Owen Wilson. Fucker's in everything these days.

It would help if you actually talked a little bit about what type of speech...cause I'm going to tell you as a person that has delivered a eulogy, a Q&A style is really going to fall flat. I also would say that an Eastwood style empty chair would be more depressing than anything else.

Now, if you are for some reason giving an acceptance speech, or a commencement address...they may possibly work.

Soooo....what you up to?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #3

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Depends who/where you're giving the speech to............
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Just an informal speech for a wedding. I want to make it interesting by having a good format. Something that is different than a straight up speech. I can pair up as well.
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
Just an informal speech for a wedding. I want to make it interesting by having a good format. Something that is different than a straight up speech. I can pair up as well.
I'm going to give you the same advice that I was given when being trained to be a teacher, and the same advice that I give all of the people who I've trained to be teachers.

Just because you've liked a speech given by someone does not mean you can or should do the same thing.

'Now why would that be?' you may be wondering. To which I would reply thusly:

"Anyone acting out of their normal comfort zone will act like someone acting out of their comfort zone." You ever seen someone tell a joke and it's fucking awesome? And then you try and tell the same joke and your friends are like "What a fucking asshole, I can't believe he'd make a joke like that!" Remember when you had that boring teacher in highschool who one day heard how awesome his exciting coworker was, and then tried to be funny and exciting? And how he was even worse than before because now it was even more weird and unnatural?

That's what you're going to sound like if you try and do someone else's speech.

I've got a speech for a wedding this coming Friday. Actually, I'm the emcee. What am I going to do? Be funny, be spontaneous, and have a few talking points but not stress about it too much.

If you're not good at doing jokes, don't do jokes. If you don't have a good sense of comedic timing (and/or your potential partner wouldn't), then don't do a Q/A. Figure out how you speak most comfortably and do that.

Oh, but make sure you embarrass the fuck out of the couple. That's not a choice.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Graeme is especially right about acting out of your comfort zone. There is nothing more painful than watching someone try so hard to be something they're not. Do what feels natural.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Graeme is especially right about acting out of your comfort zone. There is nothing more painful than watching someone try so hard to be something they're not. Do what feels natural.

Would love to see what kind of a response that invitation gets.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Thread title made me think of this immediately...

dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote