REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #1526
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts

“This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia. Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me.”
Advertisement

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #1527
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Devils are broke and they're going to be in the shitter for a long time after this. They're going to get moved.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1528
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
I don't get why his recapture penalty is only $250K when Lu's would be like $3M+

NJD surrendered prospects and picks to trade for him, 1st and 3rd rounder for cap circumvention penalty and $250K cap hit until 2025. No parise and perhaps clarkson as well.
Yikes.
lol perhaps no clarkson?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1529

So they're forefitting most likely a top 5 pick.. so they can't even tank. They lose Parise last season for nothing, now they lose Ilya and Clarkson for nothing. They signed Clowe for a ridiculous price.. and they've been rumored to be almost in bankruptcy.

At least they have Henrique and Larsson... Schnoo is fucked.... or at least he's gonna have to stand on his head for a couple seasons before they're relevant again
Lou said they're looking to move a defenseman for a younger player up front now..

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #1530
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,686 Posts
Another greedy Russian player. The only Russian players that I liked were Bure and Larionov.

One of the Russian star players that I remember who was a decent fighter. Although he was fighting Schenn, an average fighter, it's a pretty good knockout punch:

Old 07-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #1531
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

So who has Kovy in the RS Keepers pool?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #1532
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Ilya Kovalchuk left $77 million on the table with the New Jersey Devils when he retired from the NHL on Thursday to return to Russia.
According to Pavel Lysenkov of SovSport, Kovalchuk will be making that money up as the premiere star of the KHL – and in short order.
Lysenkov reports that Kovalchuk will be joining SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL, the team for which he played during the NHL lockout. There’s where he will “become the most-paid player in the world,” according to SovSport.
How much? He speculates that if it was “a $15-20 million per year (at the taxation in 13%)” it would not be a surprise. (No word if that's on the KHL cap or some of it off the books.)
On top of that, Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov believes SKA could front-load the contract and pay Kovalchuk an enormous sum of money up front.
Keep in mind Alex Radulov – hardly the superstar Kovalchuk is – was making over $9 million per season with CSKA in the KHL.
Know this about Kovalchuk: His close friend is Roman Rotenberg, vice president of marketing at SKA St. Petersburg and the son of Boris Rotenberg, a friend of Vladamir Putin and a billionaire. The Rotenberg family recently bought Jokerit and Hartwall Arena in Finland.
So yeah, Kovy's getting paid.
Lysenkov writes that SKA wanted to announce the deal on Thursday, but the wheels didn't turn fast enough in the NHL for that to happen. SovSport was told back in January that SKA would do anything to bring Kovalchuk back to the KHL. There was even speculation that some Russian oligarchs were talking about buying a share in the Devils just to get Kovalchuk out of his deal and back in Russia.
Devils President Lou Lamoriello stressed that this was “not a decision” made by the Devils, but rather by the player.
The first time Kovalchuk presented the idea to the team was after the lockout ended – a lockout that saw Kovalchuk remain in Russia to play in the KHL All-Star Game. He hadn’t mentioned it again until recently, and then the retirement announcement happened on Thursday.
There were strong rumors that he intended to remain in Russia after the lockout ended.
S/T to Dmitry Chesnokov and Pavel Lysenkov for the info.
Y! SPORTS

If this is true, $77 million is nothing when you're making $20 million tax free per season.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 07-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #1533
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
BTW...there's a live prospect camp scrimmage today. If you're downtown, it's free entry. If not, watch on youtube. Can't find the link yet. Scrimmage starts at 3:30

Last edited by highfive; 07-11-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #1534

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Live stream of the scrimmage should be up here:

Vancouver Canucks - YouTube

3:30PM
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #1535
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
Here's the direct link to stream:
Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #1536
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Another greedy Russian player. The only Russian players that I liked were Bure and Larionov.

One of the Russian star players that I remember who was a decent fighter. Although he was fighting Schenn, an average fighter, it's a pretty good knockout punch:

Ilya Kovalchuk vs Brayden Schenn Feb 4, 2012 - YouTube
More like he's sick and tired of playing in New Jersey and being surrounded by dipshit Americans.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #1537

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
This year's WJC is gonna be good with
Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce and Subban damnnnnnnnn
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #1538
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
I don't get why his recapture penalty is only $250K when Lu's would be like $3M+
Because he only played 1 year of his front loaded contract and it was pro-rated to boot. New Jersey only 'saved' 3M during this shortened season, and those savings are spread out over the remaining 12 years of the contract. The Canucks having been saving caphit for a few years now, so all those savings come back and get applied to however long is left on the contract when the player retires; Lu's recapture penalty can't actually be calculated until you know when he will retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
Schnoo is fucked.... or at least he's gonna have to stand on his head for a couple seasons before they're relevant again
Lou said they're looking to move a defenseman for a younger player up front now..
Schneider better be putting in a few more goals than Marty did to help out the offense, haha. It'd be kind of funny if Devils decide to trade Schneider to the Oilers for some scoring help now
Old 07-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #1539
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Schneider better be putting in a few more goals than Marty did to help out the offense, haha. It'd be kind of funny if Devils decide to trade Schneider to the Oilers for some scoring help now
lmao... oh god gillis would just love it!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #1540

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,686 Posts
Article from Carolina blogger Matt Karash: (Summary: Protect the integrity of NHL contracts. Put a penalty on players who decide to walk away from contracts).

If Kovalchuk wants to leave, there is really no way to make him stay and play. And with a string for years at $11M/year in actual salary and a $6M cap hit until 2080 (only slight exaggeration), I think you can make a reasonable case that New Jersey just managed themselves a buyout similar to Lecavalier without actually having to shell out the money.

But if, as seems to be the case, the NHL and New Jersey Devils just let a player under contract walk away to play in another league without any ramifications, it sets a horrible precedent for the league going forward. If this is interpreted to be the norm for handling this situation, it basically makes each and every year of an NHL contract a player option for the NHL that he can evaluate versus overseas (primarily KHL) options. The NHL contract ceases being a contractual commitment that a player must live up to.

The biggest fallout of this situation if it continues on the path that it is on is that it will significantly cost NHL players from Russia and to some degree Europe in the long run. GMs will need to put an additional risk factor into the equation when signing contracts.

At first glance, one might say that this risk has always existed. But there is a key difference with this situation. Up until now, the risk has almost exclusively been for players NOT under contract. As such, it is a long-term risk with young players because you know you will need to re-sign them multiple times. It is also a lesser risk with veterans though once they reach UFA age each new contract point already sees competition with 30 other NHL teams so adding i the KHL is not really a big deal. The key difference here is that this a player under contract which is significantly. Prior to now the general thinking that once a player was under contract, he would fulfill it and that you would not have to worry to much about that until that contract was up and it was time renegotiate.

I think the NHL needs to consider and react to this situation not as a 1-off situation involving only Ilya Kovalchuk but rather think of what its action means for the integrity of all contracts going forward. At a minimum, New Jersey, prodded by the league if necessary, should be holding Kovalchuk to the fire and making him pay something (a percent of his KHL contract?) to buy out his NHL contract. This at least sets the precedent that a player cannot just walk away without some kind of ramifications/penalty.

Last edited by pastarocket; 07-11-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #1541

you go buddy.. bold the whole article

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
1 of dem GOAT and highest scoring goaltender...inb4 he mentors Schnoo and he scores 5 before he retires
He could teach Clowe a thing or two as well...

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #1543
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
"This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia," Kovalchuk said in a statement released by the team. "Though I decided to return this past season, [general manager] Lou [Lamoriello] was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me."

Lamoriello said Kovalchuk, 30, signed his voluntary retirement papers, and the team has voided the remaining 12 years of the contract with the player. The voiding of the remainder of the deal opens the door for Kovalchuk to play in the Kontinental Hockey League this season.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #1544
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
lol you guys see Eriksson's interview? guy looks/sounds like a real awkward brah

Vancouver Canucks
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #1545

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
lol you guys see Eriksson's interview? guy looks/sounds like a real awkward brah

Vancouver Canucks
He sounds/looks like Bryzgalov

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #1546
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I firmly believe Luongo WILL play this season.

Also the timing on Kovalchuk's retirement is horrible, now there are no remaining impact free agents left to sign with his freed up cap...
Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #1547
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Kovy, like just about all Russians, isn't a team player. What a dick move. I don't care if your family is in Russia. Remember the bullshit that went on to sign this contract? How many teams he turned down because they didn't offer him a long enough term? Fuck off.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #1548
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
KHL teams are all mafia owned... I wonder if one of them kidnapped his daughter and blackmailed him or something
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #1549
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post

Vancouver Canucks
I wonder what you would sound like to Swedish people in your first interview...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #1550
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I wonder what you would sound like to Swedish people in your first interview...
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread