REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #15676
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
next week : nhl combine

week after : coaching

I think that's what Linden said in the Q/A
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #15677

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
You know, Benning is a real breath of fresh air. Like, GMMG was such a boring guy to talk to in like, press conferences you know?
"Its a process" - Michael D. Gillis
Old 05-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #15678
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
"Its a process" - Michael D. Gillis
lol soon enough we might even hear this out of Benning:

"You know, it's like a process."

Best of both worlds.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #15679
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Silferberg + ott 1st for kes pls
Ott is UFA STL
Silfverberg is RFA ANA

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #15680
Banned (ABWS)

I can already tell this Jim Benning hire is a disaster in the making.
First impressions:
- Can't even talk clearly without every 3rd word being "like" & "you know"
- Has zero and I mean zero personality almost seems like a robot. No inflection in his voice no enthusiasm no character. Hell, this guy makes Brian Burke look like the most interesting man in the world.
- Seems like the same old script in that he hopes we improve the 4th line and he wants to play an uptempo style which is only to appease the fans after the dreadful Torts stymie style of blocking shots and creating like zero offensive chances.

I like Trevor but he is in way over his head here. Let's be real here, this GM process was Benning and Benning only. Linden all but had Benning as his choice the day he got hired as President. C'mon you tell me with all the available candidates at your disposal, you go with someone you knew from your playing days. At least give guys like Tambellini, Regehr, Rutherford, Mcguire, Button, Patrick, N.Smith, Feaster, Mcphee, Shero, Gauthier, Gainey, Martin. Nobody in Vancouver knew who Benning was until the media hyped him as this drafting savant. I didn't like Gillis but he's proved himself and only got fucked over by the Aquilini making Gillis hire Tortorella and not buying out Luongo or trading him to Toronto and getting back Scrivens,Schenn, Fransen & 2nd.

Watch AV win a stanley cup with the rangers this year. This Canucks team is in for a lot of down years. We have a stupid owner just like that idiot Wang in NYI meddling in the hockey team.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #15681

just in case ya meant the 10th and silvfer,

at the deadline the offer was etem and two picks which we rejected, probably ANAs own pick and and a later round pick

if it was both firsts Gillis would have taken that in a heart beat

they said they weren't offering anymore than that at the draft

edit: source
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/03...-kesler-offer/

also, Silvferberg has more value than Etem right now

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ

Last edited by Not really racist!; 05-23-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #15682
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
You don't need a personality to be a good GM. Trevor is obviously going to be the "face man" as everything needs his approval.

I agree if he were doing it all on his own, the scope is over his head. But he's not. He has smart people surrounding him and he gives items his stamp of approval.

So far Golden Boy can do no wrong in the face of Vancouverites. Let's hope he doesn't tarnish his reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #15683
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post
I can already tell this Jim Benning hire is a disaster in the making.
First impressions:
- Can't even talk clearly without every 3rd word being "like" & "you know"
- Has zero and I mean zero personality almost seems like a robot. No inflection in his voice no enthusiasm no character. Hell, this guy makes Brian Burke look like the most interesting man in the world.
- Seems like the same old script in that he hopes we improve the 4th line and he wants to play an uptempo style which is only to appease the fans after the dreadful Torts stymie style of blocking shots and creating like zero offensive chances.

I like Trevor but he is in way over his head here. Let's be real here, this GM process was Benning and Benning only. Linden all but had Benning as his choice the day he got hired as President. C'mon you tell me with all the available candidates at your disposal, you go with someone you knew from your playing days. At least give guys like Tambellini, Regehr, Rutherford, Mcguire, Button, Patrick, N.Smith, Feaster, Mcphee, Shero, Gauthier, Gainey, Martin. Nobody in Vancouver knew who Benning was until the media hyped him as this drafting savant. I didn't like Gillis but he's proved himself and only got fucked over by the Aquilini making Gillis hire Tortorella and not buying out Luongo or trading him to Toronto and getting back Scrivens,Schenn, Fransen & 2nd.

Watch AV win a stanley cup with the rangers this year. This Canucks team is in for a lot of down years. We have a stupid owner just like that idiot Wang in NYI meddling in the hockey team.
Tambellini was a complete failure in Edmonton

Regier was fine right up to the point when he actually had money to spend, then he made a bunch of stupid purchases and ended up destroying the team.

Rutherford is Carolina's team president; he's basically retired.

McGuire only wants a job that's close to his family (not Vancouver).

Button is laughable.

Shero is the only guy I'd want from that list.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #15684
I STILL don't get it

Terrible articulation.

Don't know many successful people in the business world that speak like that.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #15685
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
There are plenty successful introverts in the business world. Why don't you know them? Introvert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #15686
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
Terrible articulation.

Don't know many successful people in the business world that speak like that.
Are people here seriously thinking that articulated = hockey success?
His resume speaks for itself.

Heck, are some of you so short-sighted. Example, Torts, and look how well he turned out. The guy has a strong communication skills but his coaching expertise kind of sucks.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #15687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
just in case ya meant the 10th and silvfer,

at the deadline the offer was etem and two picks which we rejected, probably ANAs own pick and and a later round pick

if it was both firsts Gillis would have taken that in a heart beat

they said they weren't offering anymore than that at the draft

edit: source
Van Provies: Deadline day special and still shocked at Kesler offers | The Province

also, Silvferberg has more value than Etem right now
Ducks to revisit trading for Kesler? | ProHockeyTalk

according to this, it was Etem + 10th + 24th and we still rejected it probably because of conference premium and it wasn't blue chip + high 1st + top 6 which we were looking for

Silvferberg + 10th + 24th might not even do it then

Silvferberg/Etem + 10th + Vatanen/Rakell, at the minimum maybe more

Ducks aren't gonna do that

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 05-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #15688

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #15689
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
One big thing I like about Benning is the other Gms respect him and will work deals with him. Look at all the rumours about no other GMs liking Gillis and won't work with him cause really who likes a sleazy ex player agent. Yes he might seem green and not like your normal GM but he knows the game and the players which is key for the Canucks. So what if he's not good in front of a camera right now, remember he really hasn't been in the spot life before and with out media any person like that would be nervous as fuck
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #15690
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Saw burrows, bieksa and morgan riley today at the airport
Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #15691
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Saw burrows, bieksa and morgan riley today at the airport
pixornegz
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #15692
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post

Heck, are some of you so short-sighted. Example, Torts, and look how well he turned out. The guy has a strong communication skills but his coaching expertise kind of sucks.
Torts' coaching style would work well with a team like St. Louis or Los Angeles ...

However, he refuses to change his style regardless of the roster he has ... We don't have a roster that would be successful with Torts at the helm. I'm somewhat concerned that will be the case if we get Trotz, but who knows given the roster Trotz has had to work with over his career ...

I said it at the time and I still stand by it; we should have fired AV and hired Boudreau the second he became available. A coach like Boudreau is exactly what we need considering our roster.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #15693
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post

Agree with your first point but Torts has a Stanley Cup on his resume so it seems foolish to question his coaching ability. This team was a disaster from the ground up, not just the coach.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #15694

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
pixornegz
didnt get a pic of Morgan Riley in his washington red skins hoodie but here burrows and juice
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #15695

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
One big thing I like about Benning is the other Gms respect him and will work deals with him. Look at all the rumours about no other GMs liking Gillis and won't work with him cause really who likes a sleazy ex player agent. Yes he might seem green and not like your normal GM but he knows the game and the players which is key for the Canucks. So what if he's not good in front of a camera right now, remember he really hasn't been in the spot life before and with out media any person like that would be nervous as fuck

-agree 100%. Benning also has the immense experience in scouting players that our team needs right now. Good drafting helps build championship calibre teams.

He may not excel in Toastmasters for public speaking but boy can this guy draft good players to play in the NHL.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #15696
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
One thing I picked out from Benning is that everyone says he's a rink rat and that he likes to go and scout games himself where a lot of gms don't. He's able to get a personal feel of how that player is or to how he said it today how you value his character, toughness, leadership etc and not just moneyball.

This reminded me when gillis acquired booth. He said he was playing gold in Palm Springs and booth was behind his group. He saw how his shot was in golf and felt he was a good enough player.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #15697
RS controls my life!

Give the poor guy a chance!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #15698
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post
Am I the only one who likes the new ownership? Yes I'm aware of the Aquilini reputation. Very closely in fact as my previous firm worked for them and our firm did quite well because of it.

Finally we have a management who cares. I believe this is a franchise that will still make money even if we become a perennial basement team like Edmonton; even moreso if we just cruise along as a play-off bubble team year after year. If they really did just care about the money, they could very well just sit back and collect the revenues from afar, like some ownerships past and present.

I very well don't know the business side of hockey much but if there's one thing I know and hear about the Aquilini's, it's that they're not used to losing. And to me their recent actions display this to me.

1) 2 or 3 years past the failed stanley cup run, you start seeing heavy changes in personnel Too soon? No, I'd much rather have this than have one of those franchises where changes take way too long. Things might suck now but at least it only took 2 - 3 years for club corrections to be made. And the only reason why it even took this long is because MG dilly-dallyed around trading Luongo thinking his star goaltender is worth another star back.

2) they're not afraid to make bold moves;
*expensive moves like updating the club facilities; chasing of Mats Sundin for $20M
*difficult decisions: calling it quits on your star goaltender the minute you realize that the star goaltender is a has-been. I'm glad this management isn't getting hung up on "tenure" in lieu of results (Though that Ron Delorme thing though, i can only trust TL's words that under Jim Benning's direction, he can actually do well)
*quick decisions: letting Torts go after just 1 year. No margin of error, no allowance for corrections. Ruthless. I like it.

This ownership is involved, cares, and are driven. I very much like it a lot. Honestly, all this accusations that their all just about the money isn't completely true. Yes the Aquilini Family is very much money-motivated. There's no denying that, but I think what people are forgetting (or just plain don't know) is that they're a prideful family too; and winning is in their blood. The moves and the shakeups isn't a monetary attempt to keep the team from hitting the red ink, because the franchise is sooo far from that. Moreso, I think it's a legitimate attempt at getting the club into the Play Off (and hopefully Stanley Cup contention) saddle as fast as possible.

Last edited by Noir; 05-23-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #15699

Mike Kennan has a ring too but what has he done since.

The landscape is changing to athlete-centered coaching, the old-brand of coaching is not as effective anymore, and there's more and more young guys coming in and doing okay.

Torts had godly goal-tending, the best line in the league, and a solid back-end when he won his ring, so no surprise there.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #15700
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
So if a coach has a great team, he gets no credit at all and they won despite him. But if he's on a shitty team, it's his fault and he gets fired.
Closed Thread