REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #51
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
It probably all comes down to whether Ricky Wong is communist-friendly or not. I don't know enough about him, but I would guess not, based on this decision.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #52
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ He's not, that's why he left ATV as CEO, only after 12 days in that position, a few years ago.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #53

Well there you go. He probably wanted to create a pure HK channel, with no ties to the communist government. Both TVB and ATV are sold out, so there really is a need for a station like this.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #54
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
nope thats not the reason for sure

my dad speculate that its his personality problem & he the fact that he doesnt have a big enough support

dudes a little over confidence, which did piss off the government (my dad & i spectacular the government didnt like him before)

--------------------------

also in other news, hktv stock rise to 3.20

mean while hktv has laid off already bunch of there staffs already & some of the those actors are planing to go back to mainland work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #55
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Apple Daily claims this is a two pronged scheme

1) They'll lose control over TVC (the Chinese gov that is)
2) The China owners want to unload the dud that is ATV so by not giving HKTV the licence it would force them to buy ATV.

But then this is Apple Daily so don't believe a word of this.

What is surprising is that there's no mention of alternative methods of broadcasting, there's no mention of Netflix like system, paid youtube channel, anything. I guess Chinese people just want free shit LOL
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #56
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
well this morning (hk time) at CY Leung legislative Q&A at the legislative office, hktv not getting a license was a big topic & asked CY the REAL reason behind it

he keeps dodging the question why saying it was a private disclosed meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...

Last edited by ae101; 10-16-2013 at 10:43 PM.
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #57
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
^ CY gonna CY

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
Apple Daily claims this is a two pronged scheme

1) They'll lose control over TVC (the Chinese gov that is)
2) The China owners want to unload the dud that is ATV so by not giving HKTV the licence it would force them to buy ATV.

But then this is Apple Daily so don't believe a word of this.

What is surprising is that there's no mention of alternative methods of broadcasting, there's no mention of Netflix like system, paid youtube channel, anything. I guess Chinese people just want free shit LOL
New methods of media just haven't caught on here.. people here still buy newspapers, pay for things with cash, watch TV live, etc
Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
New methods of media just haven't caught on here.. people here still buy newspapers, pay for things with cash, watch TV live, etc
Yeah man I live in HK too lol, its crazy how people just want free shit. Every morning I walk by the free newspaper stands and I see seniors grabbing every one of those papers, mind you a lot of people that age are illiterate. And I can't believe people book Karaoke rooms to watch TV Finales..
Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #60
G
Banned (BBM)

Can't they just do some sort of Netflix or TV paid subscriber thing till they do get a FTA?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #61
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Yeah man I live in HK too lol, its crazy how people just want free shit. Every morning I walk by the free newspaper stands and I see seniors grabbing every one of those papers, mind you a lot of people that age are illiterate. And I can't believe people book Karaoke rooms to watch TV Finales..
Lot's of seniors line up to get the free newspaper so they can collect enough and sell it to the recycle center (saw it on apple news a while back).
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Lot's of seniors line up to get the free newspaper so they can collect enough and sell it to the recycle center (saw it on apple news a while back).
WHAT? HK is cray
Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #63

Quote:
WHAT? HK is cray
That's crazy to you? Have you ever left your house?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #64
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
WHAT? HK is cray
LOL just step into richmond and you get a taste of what HK would look like...
Old 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
LOL just step into richmond and you get a taste of what HK would look like...
Living in HK for a while now so I'm sure Richmond is nowhere near as cray. We got beef with mainlanders and now stepped it up with beef for Philippines LOL
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #66

This has turned into the latest chapter in the issue of Hong Kong losing their culture and identity

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/thousands-protest-hktv-license-refusal-xwJVfLh~S2mnaoFRLylzJA.html
Governance is at stake in TV licensing fallout, observers warn | South China Morning Post

Ricky Wong addresses the press

Partial translation:

Spoiler!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #67
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
to be honest, i don't know what the big deal yes. Yes, it suck balls. the government totally did somethign really retarded, but it's CHINA that laid it down and said, you figure out a way, but i ain't giving a license to Ricky Wong.

CY is just a nobody but has to obey the rules from top down. I'm sure CY would have wanted to give the permit, but when China says no, it's no and it was up to CY to deal with it.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #68
HELP ME PLS!!!

To all the hongers that left Vancouver for HK post-1997. The pasture is not always greener on the other side. With many new regulations and laws being manipulated by the Central government in China these days, are you guys really better off over there than here?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #69

The problem with this is that China is not supposed to touch anything here until STARTING in 2047. It's right there in the law.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #70
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

But who are we kidding here by saying China will not exert influence on HK as soon as they took over the sovereignty of HK. And besides, even if they don't do anything until 2046, I would imagine the outcries and protests would still be the same, except China would probably squash it forcibly by then.
All I see is a slow assimilation of HK into China slowly
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
To all the hongers that left Vancouver for HK post-1997. The pasture is not always greener on the other side. With many new regulations and laws being manipulated by the Central government in China these days, are you guys really better off over there than here?
Yes, a lot of us hongers did go back, but in a lot of my friends' cases they have families and businesses back in HK/China so already they have a head start. For me it was because I found a good job in HK that didn't come with the normal trappings of a typical HK job (i.e. insane hours, little benefits, etc). But the people that went to Van for the most part are not representative of the people protesting on the streets; generally speaking the people that were able to move are at the very least the middle class of HK, and subsequently with a Western upbringing (if you're not from Richmond), bluntly speaking you're ahead of the curve should you go back to HK meaning we get the better jobs with better pay.

I'll go even farther to say that this group of ours is at times elitist, out of touch, nor indifferent about the goings on in HK. My group of friends her really never discuss the current social issues of HK, many of them simply plan their next vacation back to Van and then instagram pics from Guu. For someone like me for example I am perhaps jaded enough to see that regular protests don't work, and that more "high level" political tactics need to be employed by the people.

The thing is with HKers they've never really had a say in politics up until '97, and you see in the news how immature and ineffective some party's antics are. And they're competing with the Chinese government, a gov who's had more than 50 years of running shit. How the hell are HKers supposed to win.

Long story short, I think a lot of us come back for a job or the Asia experience for a bit, but when push comes to shove or when people start having kids, we'll run back to Van. Maybe people from Toronto would have a different story

TL;DR - Asia is better only short term, and Hongers from Van are above most of HK's "problems"
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #72
degenerate extraordinaire

Protests in the past were somewhat effective, because they had a chief executive that cared solely for HK. Now they have CY, whom we obviously see is controlled by the China gov't.

It truly is a shame that they were denied.

People on am1470 frequently talk about this, and are usually quite furious. Especially certain DJ's that used to be in the HK television industry.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
But who are we kidding here by saying China will not exert influence on HK as soon as they took over the sovereignty of HK. And besides, even if they don't do anything until 2046, I would imagine the outcries and protests would still be the same, except China would probably squash it forcibly by then.
All I see is a slow assimilation of HK into China slowly
A slow process of replacing the govt is fine, with the exception of attempted cultural assimilation. And even then, nothing should even start taking place until starting in 2047 at the earliest. Even if they do the exact same thing they are doing now, it is way too early.

Now you have generations being born into this atmosphere, and tensions are rising. If they continue this path it's only going to get worse.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
Protests in the past were somewhat effective, because they had a chief executive that cared solely for HK. Now they have CY, whom we obviously see is controlled by the China gov't.

It truly is a shame that they were denied.

People on am1470 frequently talk about this, and are usually quite furious. Especially certain DJ's that used to be in the HK television industry.
The fucked up thing is that CY is supposed to be the man for the people, having not grown up rich he used that to run against Henry Tang. Granted Henry fucked up with his mansion scandal, but either way CY was supposed to be different.

The truth is people do pile on him for everything, and whether he's even involved in half the stuff people complain about remains a question.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #75

Quote:
The fucked up thing is that CY is supposed to be the man for the people, having not grown up rich he used that to run against Henry Tang. Granted Henry fucked up with his mansion scandal, but either way CY was supposed to be different.

The truth is people do pile on him for everything, and whether he's even involved in half the stuff people complain about remains a question.
CY didn't have to campaign about anything. Any campaigning would have been for nothing other than to try to appease the people, who don't have a say in the election.

He was Beijing's second choice, as their first choice had way too many controversies.. CY isn't without his own of course, but either way it wouldn't have made a difference. Neither man represents Hong Kong's interests in the least.
This post thanked by: