REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
The handsets offered by Wind/Mobi wouldnt work on Verizon network, they run on EV-DO (CDMA band), so no roaming on Verizon US networks...
Which is why if the purchase goes through, Verizon would be pushing for LTE and VoLTE instead to fix the current AWS HSPA network..
I meant that once they roll out the 700Mhz LTE band, it will work on both sides.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
HELP ME PLS!!!

New rules on wireless spectrum transfers unveiled

Quote:
Licence transfers to be reviewed by Industry Canada within 15 days of deal being struck

The Conservative government has unveiled new guidelines for companies that want to sell their wireless spectrum licences.

Any company that wants to transfer its wireless spectrum licence will now have to ask Industry Canada to do a review within 15 days of signing an agreement that could lead to a prospective change.

The department will then give the proposed deal a thumbs up or down.

The new policy framework comes after the federal government blocked a plan by Telus to buy struggling wireless upstart Mobilicity in a deal worth $380 million. The government said at the time that the deal would violate a condition imposed at the time spectrum was auctioned off that prohibited new entrants from selling their licences to incumbents for five years.

The government says it will prohibit spectrum transfers that would limit competition in the Canadian wireless market.

Industry Minister Christian Paradis says the government will use all tools at its disposal to ensure there are at least four wireless competitors in every region of Canada.

The government has long sought to increase competition in the wireless sector that has been dominated by Bell, Rogers and Telus.

During a 2008 sale of wireless spectrum, Ottawa set aside a portion for new entrants in an effort to create a new national carrier and strong regional providers.

While the policy attracted several new players, most of the independent carriers — operating the Wind, Mobilicity and Public Mobile networks — have struggled to make money.

New rules on wireless spectrum transfers unveiled - Business - CBC News
It doesn't mean much for Verizon, just re-enforces that the Canadian government will never allow WIND and Mobilicity to be purchased by the Big 3. LOL
Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
no naivety here - i've lived in all 3 countries, canada has the highest prices (which is true for pretty much everything, and we pay the most personal tax) and, what i've found, the worst service.
I was in Manhattan in April and I had an unlocked Galaxy on T-Mobile. Granted I was using 2G, but mobile internet was virtually unusable for me. I had better speeds on my old Blackberry with Edge on Rogers. It was $2/day and I did need to make some calls, but you would think that I should get service in Manhattan, one of the world's greatest cities?

Just sayin'.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
I meant that once they roll out the 700Mhz LTE band, it will work on both sides.
Still wouldnt work.. LTE is data only.. you would need VoIP LTE.. which Verizon will roll out in the US late 2014... Im sure they would cater US first then work on VoIP LTE up here.. so Im guessing, mid 2015 to late 2015 until we can see some sort of compatibility of roaming....

Quote:
It doesn't mean much for Verizon, just re-enforces that the Canadian government will never allow WIND and Mobilicity to be purchased by the Big 3. LOL
ONLY if Verizon gets approved to buy.. but when 2014 hits, its free for all as the incumbents can buy them... So Verizon's timing to buy Wind/Mobi/License is bang on.. Im guessing they are going after Shaw/Videotron spectrum also.. at least that would be the smart thing to do.. Shaw has tons of AWS spectrum for the west coast while videotron has for montreal area...

Im betting on Verizon (if they do buy) that they will grandfather Winds unlimited plan.. That would rock... unlimited everything for rock bottom price.. haha... once Verizon gets setup and everything, you wont be seeing such plans from them... So you guys want to take a gamble.. jump onto one of Winds unlimited plan soon...

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 06-28-2013 at 11:25 AM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #30
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Im betting on Verizon (if they do buy) that they will grandfather Winds unlimited plan.. That would rock... unlimited everything for rock bottom price.. haha... once Verizon gets setup and everything, you wont be seeing such plans from them... So you guys want to take a gamble.. jump onto one of Winds unlimited plan soon...
That's what I am hoping for as well. I am currently on their unlimited $29 plan, that would rock if that was on Verizon and gets grandfathered. If I was a Robellus customer, I'd think about jumping on the $29 unlimited WIND plan soon.

Quote:
ONLY if Verizon gets approved to buy.. but when 2014 hits, its free for all as the incumbents can buy them... So Verizon's timing to buy Wind/Mobi/License is bang on.. Im guessing they are going after Shaw/Videotron spectrum also.. at least that would be the smart thing to do.. Shaw has tons of AWS spectrum for the west coast while videotron has for montreal area...
I personally still don't see that the government would allow the incumbents to buy them even after the 5 year ban is lifted. They seem pretty serious about creating a 4th national player. There's also the possibility that Bell and Telus would merge if Verizon comes in, so there's a few different business strategies at play.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #31

Quote:
There's also the possibility that Bell and Telus would merge if Verizon comes in, so there's a few different business strategies at play.
You mean they arent butt fu*cking each other yet?
I couldnt tell what the difference between them is.. haha... I mean they practically share the same bed...
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I was in Manhattan in April and I had an unlocked Galaxy on T-Mobile. Granted I was using 2G, but mobile internet was virtually unusable for me. I had better speeds on my old Blackberry with Edge on Rogers. It was $2/day and I did need to make some calls, but you would think that I should get service in Manhattan, one of the world's greatest cities?

Just sayin'.
Does 2g have a factor in this (I'm not a tech person)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #33
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Buying Power: Much like back in early 2000's when Nokia N95 was released, Rogers was the only network at that time in Canada to carry it. Much the same could be said about Verizon, they could request Samsung to only release a popular phone that they would carry in Canada (and nobody else), and basically tell Robellus to fuck off. If Samsung doesn't offer exclusivity for a particular phone in Canada, they would not carry that phone in the States. That's 100 million inaccessible Verizon US customers vs. 20 million Big 3 Customers in Canada that Samsung may potentially lose (and honestly, who knows if that number will still be that high when Verizon is here). It's easy math.
I cant see verizon playing that card. If they do, T-mobile, AT&T, sprint will win in their home turf.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
I cant see verizon playing that card. If they do, T-mobile, AT&T, sprint will win in their home turf.
Well Verizon wouldn't need to go that far to get their voice heard. Historically, carriers have had significant influence on manufacturers. Carriers decides the features of the phone and price that they want, then the manufacturer complies (Apple being the only exception to that rule). If Verizon is in Canada, they will have alot more pull on phonemakers than many think, as that relationship also hinders on the U.S. market as well, since they are geographically connected.

WIND and Mobi never had this priviledge cause their marketshare is incredibly small. T-mobile decides the features of the phones then our low-cost carriers will pick up their scraps.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #35
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

Just sayin'.
Manhattan has some seriously shit coverage and signal. There's just too many people.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
I agree, The market for AWS HSPA phones is small, pulling that move will also impact their US market and right now, subs in the US are pretty much at a standstill and to not offer a phone will deter people to other carriers that will have this phone, news reports that the only way for people to stay with US carriers is locking them into contracts... Sure Verizon has 100mil subs, but dont forget the world outside the US that manufacturers have also. That will be a gamble for Verizon that I think shouldnt happen... if push comes to shove, Samsung can say, No Phones for you anymore and their fucked...