REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #76
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
i thought this whole ordeal was cuz there was some little girl that got stranded...

but this chick is 20? she didn't have 10 cents? she doesnt have a bank card? a credit card? any cash? she can't speak up and ask ... beg for someone to give her 10cents?... agian she doesnt have a bank card or cash or visa? how can anyone NOT have those?
not having cash, bank card or visa card, is the same as being stranded somewhere cuz they refuse to have a cell phone. it's just outright retarded to be living in society and not having immediate access to any of those.

the person issuing the ticket or whatever shoulda let it slide, but say they already let 10 other ppl slide and they had enough. you can't blame them.

like someone else said... lol this should be a lesson for that 20 year old.

I will have to assume, she just put her head down like a dog and walked away instead of making a scene and trying to aggressively negotiate her situation so that she wouldn't be stranded. what a loser.
Advertisement
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #77
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
i thought this whole ordeal was cuz there was some little girl that got stranded...

but this chick is 20? she didn't have 10 cents? she doesnt have a bank card? a credit card? any cash? she can't speak up and ask ... beg for someone to give her 10cents?... agian she doesnt have a bank card or cash or visa? how can anyone NOT have those?
not having cash, bank card or visa card, is the same as being stranded somewhere cuz they refuse to have a cell phone. it's just outright retarded to be living in society and not having immediate access to any of those.

the person issuing the ticket or whatever shoulda let it slide, but say they already let 10 other ppl slide and they had enough. you can't blame them.

I will have to assume, she just put her head down like a dog and walked away instead of making a scene and trying to aggressively negotiate her situation so that she wouldn't be stranded. what a loser.
Clearly you didn't even read the story. She had quarter. She was 10 cents short on the ferry pass thing. And they wouldn't take the quarter to make up for it.
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #78
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
All of Marco's friends work at Swedish Touch and cost him $200/hr.
is that the friend rate?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #79
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:

Dude, she HAD the money. They wouldn't allow her to pay with 2 types of tender.

IE. Total was $30...balance on card was $29.90 and she gave 10 cents for the remaining amount. They refused. Last ferry of the night so she had to stay and wait for the bank to open the following day.

Last edited by dinosaur; 07-12-2013 at 10:39 AM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #80
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
So I just want to clarify that here, on post 79, page 5 that we have finally nailed down what the thread is actually about.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #81
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread, so i'll add this here:

BC Ferries under fire for giving $300 worth of gift cards to each employee | Globalnews.ca

Almost 1 million....
Really? how is that news? for someone who makes 50k a year, it's a bonus worth 0.6% of their annual salary. It's obviously a huge amount because BC Ferries is employs 3000 people, but how is this a huge waste a money?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #82
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
Clearly you didn't even read the story. She had quarter. She was 10 cents short on the ferry pass thing. And they wouldn't take the quarter to make up for it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:

IE. Total was $30...balance on card was $29.90 and she gave 10 cents for the remaining amount. They refused. Last ferry of the night so she had to stay and wait for the bank to open the following day.

i read it after.

my statement still stands. she still should have had enough money to buy a whole ticket.
with her visa. or bank card. or have more change than just a quarter. like real cash. what kind of person doesn't have one of the above?

what kind of person leaves home. without a bank card, without a visa card, and without cash? a quarter isnt cash.

like i said, raise hell.

if it were up to me. I would have started shit if it meant giving me a chance to not be stranded for a night. I would fucking scream at the person and demand a superior. I would refuse to be denied until a supreme authority came down and either denied me or sided with me. I wouldn't take shit from a fucking ticket person.

when it's time to push and shove... you push and shove and fucking use aggression and get what you want man. it's not for greedy purposes, it's so you aren't fucking stranded.

either way, she is at fault still.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #83
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:

Doesn't she receive a discounted rate when she uses her ferry card? Isn't the whole ordeal that you need to pay the full fare on your ferry card to receive the ferry card discount?...

In theory, what happened makes sense. Because it was only $0.10 it seems worse than it is but would people react differently if she was $10.00 short and still had $10.00 cash to make up for it? It's pretty straight forward to me:

Use an experience card ---> get a discounted rate ---> if you don't have enough money to purchase a ticket using your experience card ---> don't get the discounted rate. She was $0.10 short of the discounted rate I believe but was probably a lot shy of the reg. passenger rate.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #84
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

They don't automatically top up the card if it goes past a certain threshold???
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #85
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
lol after doing a report analysis and conducting interviews with supervisors of BCferries, i can say that they are a terribly run organization... got some big idiots on their board lol
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #86
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Really? how is that news? for someone who makes 50k a year, it's a bonus worth 0.6% of their annual salary. It's obviously a huge amount because BC Ferries is employs 3000 people, but how is this a huge waste a money?
Because of how it looks at a time when they are continually increasing fares, as often as possible really to try to break even.

Is the million going to fix the budget? No. But the appearance is your people aren't being careful with the money. Especially as gift cards. Half of them won't even get used. So that's potentially $500,000 just blown out the door.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #87
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Doesn't she receive a discounted rate when she uses her ferry card? Isn't the whole ordeal that you need to pay the full fare on your ferry card to receive the ferry card discount?...

In theory, what happened makes sense. Because it was only $0.10 it seems worse than it is but would people react differently if she was $10.00 short and still had $10.00 cash to make up for it? It's pretty straight forward to me:

Use an experience card ---> get a discounted rate ---> if you don't have enough money to purchase a ticket using your experience card ---> don't get the discounted rate. She was $0.10 short of the discounted rate I believe but was probably a lot shy of the reg. passenger rate.
are you sure there is a discount if you use the card?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #88
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
I have no problem with this at all. This is actually peanuts when you think of it holistically. $1 million in bonuses is nothing for a company that employs $3000 people.

I blame many of the problems on management and company executives, dont punish many of the low level employees who have met their safety goals. $300 is not much, but it's a decent amount to show appreciation to staff and increase morale. The benefits of the $300 probably out-weights the costs.

People can hate on government for inefficiencies and improper management, but don't take it out on the majority of the employees whose fate are mostly determined by bad policies/strategies made in boardrooms and meetings.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #89
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Because of how it looks at a time when they are continually increasing fares, as often as possible really to try to break even.

Is the million going to fix the budget? No. But the appearance is your people aren't being careful with the money. Especially as gift cards. Half of them won't even get used. So that's potentially $500,000 just blown out the door.
I disagree with this, most of my friends and I who have received giftcards from their employers for recognition have always ended up using them.

My former employer gave us a similar recognition and I would say everyone in the office used their giftcards.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #90
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Gonna wait for the news that the gift cards are for the bc ferries gift shop and food service
Posted via RS Mobile
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #91
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Exactly.

My company has a standing offer to all of its employees (which is a number far greater than BC Ferries) to help subsidize the cost of a gym membership or health/fitness related activity. The theory is the same as that of BC Ferry's: A healthier employee means less sick days and an overall better attitude. The money they spend on that is saved ten-fold in the future.

I was reading the Op Ed's in The Province this morning (I know, I know... but it was the only thing to read in my lunch room) and some of the comments they printed are worse than what we often see on here. People bitching about how that BC Ferry employees are getting these bonuses when they don't? Just because you don't get something doesn't mean others aren't entitled to it. I get performance based bonuses at work for meeting certain quotas or for finishing a fiscal year without specific incidents. If you work for a company that doesn't hand out bonuses, don't bitch when I get one. You either work for a shitty company, make enough pay to justify not getting one, or are in a position that doesn't meet the requirements for qualifying for a bonus. You're free to look for another job that does hand 'em out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

The problem is that too many people don't actually think about the net effect that something like this will do for saving money in the future. All they see is money being spent "frivolously."
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #92
Head Moderator

Quote:
i read it after.

my statement still stands. she still should have had enough money to buy a whole ticket.
with her visa. or bank card. or have more change than just a quarter. like real cash. what kind of person doesn't have one of the above?

what kind of person leaves home. without a bank card, without a visa card, and without cash? a quarter isnt cash.
While I broadly agree with you, we don't know anything about her financial situation so it's hard to paint her with the same standards that you or I might find acceptable.

It's possible that her bank account was hacked and was emptied (it's happened to me in the past), or that she's been unemployed for long enough that any extra cash was necessary for essentials, or any other number of situations I can't think of at the moment.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #93
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

^more likely she was a bitch to the ferry worker who was a bitch back to her.
coolname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #94
Banned By Establishment

Of course. Of course everyone is like, "fuck yeah! gift cards. Awesome idea BC Ferries."

Yes, each and every employee will for sure use it, none of them will be wasted sitting in a junk drawer.

I was totally wrong on it.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #95
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

They don't deserve any bonus IMO. I take the ferry every week. In fact I'm on it right now as I'm typing this. What do I see? overpaid workers that really do nothing. The workers that are on the car decks are on their smartphones. When it's Canucks playoffs I've seem them standing together trying to get a feed of their phones. Sure give them the gift card but cut all their wages because they don't deserve it and definitely cut the amount of workers.

Today - they have someone that is giving a tour on marine life on deck 7. Really? How much is that person gettin paid? I just paid 85.25 with reservation. I dont want marine life tour. I just want to get to the other side. Also today car was left running on the car deck and no one inside. Guess who noticed it? Not the deck worker, a passenger - and this was like 15 minutes into the sail. While this is all happening I'm hearing announcements that the UV index is high today and they have sunscreen in the gift shop. Also there is 30 percent off Roots wallets and a gift if you buy 19 dollars worth of lotion or something in the gift shop. Maybe they should be paying more attention to the car that is running than making profit off sunscreen or wallets.

I could go on forever with stories but trust me that these workers do not deserve anything more than 12-15 dollars per hour (the regular workers). Head captain and seniors on ferry obviously should get paid more.

end of rant

Last edited by acurael; 07-13-2013 at 10:03 AM.
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #96
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
are you sure there is a discount if you use the card?
I have an Experience Card from living on Bowen Island. I would get a discount for trips between Bowen and Horseshoe Bay but I had to pay full price for trips to Vancouver Island. I could use the card to pay for the ticket, just no discount so it's still handy when you don't have cash/credit on hand. I'd assume most of the smaller, short routes have discounts similar. At the time a 2-way foot passenger ticket was roughly $10.50 or so and $6 with Experience Card while vehicle was $44 regular and $22 with card.

Once you top it up, they've got your money and are counting one you not getting your full money's worth with insufficient remainders left on it. It's similar to a gift card where you have change left over on it after making a purchase but not enough to make another. Instead of spending $28.57 on a shirt with your $30 gift card, you've paid $30 while the store gets your $1.43.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #97
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
this threads still going on? there better be a picture of the chick in here for this thread to still be going on
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #98
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Gonna wait for the news that the gift cards are for the bc ferries gift shop and food service
Posted via RS Mobile
For those who love to jump on random "bitch about BC Ferries" bandwagons as they pass by without having any idea what they're actually about:

The bonus was a $300 gift card to a particular sporting good chain, OR $300 toward a gym membership.
The bonus was part of an incentive in a program aimed to reduce losses due to injury time, sick time, etc.
Per BCF's announced figures, some $2.5M was lost to such incidents in 2006, when the program was started. The past year, the losses were down to $800k. So in reality, that "bonus" given to employees was just a share of savings THEY helped the system to realize.

If you worked your ass off and took extra care at your job in order to save your employer millions of dollars annually, would you feel it improper to see a little piece of those savings?

You'd think the "oh woe is me" travelling public would be more appreciative that the staff even bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
They don't deserve any bonus IMO.
And again, the bonus was a specific thing promised for the realization of specific goals. It has nothing to do with your experience on the boat.

Quote:
I take the ferry every week. In fact I'm on it right now as I'm typing this. What do I see? overpaid workers that really do nothing. The workers that are on the car decks are on their smartphones. When it's Canucks playoffs I've seem them standing together trying to get a feed of their phones. Sure give them the gift card but cut all their wages because they don't deserve it and definitely cut the amount of workers.

Today - they have someone that is giving a tour on marine life on deck 7. Really? How much is that person gettin paid? I just paid 85.25 with reservation. I dont want marine life tour. I just want to get to the other side.

I could go on forever with stories but trust me that these workers do not deserve anything more than 12-15 dollars per hour (the regular workers).
Yeah, couple things about that...

First, their wages are set in union contracts, so good luck cutting them.
Second, the number of staff on the boat at any given time is mandated by federal Transport Canada regulations. If they've planned for X number of people to be on a sailing, and regulation requires Y number of staff, and then X-100 shows up, guess what? Those staff are already there and being paid, so what else are they supposed to do?
Third every one of them is fully trained in emergency and safety procedures, also as required by TC regs, so if something goes wrong, THEY can make sure YOUR ungrateful ass gets off safely. They're not there to be your personal valet or to perform whatever lowly tasks YOU think they should or shouldn't be performing.

And while you may not give a fuck about marine life, keep in mind that TOURISTs eat that shit up, and without that tourist traffic, especially this time of year, your fares as a jaded commuter would probably be a lot higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #99
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
While I broadly agree with you, we don't know anything about her financial situation so it's hard to paint her with the same standards that you or I might find acceptable.

It's possible that her bank account was hacked and was emptied (it's happened to me in the past), or that she's been unemployed for long enough that any extra cash was necessary for essentials, or any other number of situations I can't think of at the moment.
Well first, remember that BCF doesn't take debit cards, so the money in her account would be irrelevant when she's standing there trying to buy a ticket. And believe it or not, NOT everyone has credit cards these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #100
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Well first, remember that BCF doesn't take debit cards, so the money in her account would be irrelevant when she's standing there trying to buy a ticket. And believe it or not, NOT everyone has credit cards these days.
That was my point