REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Waste Disposal (Garburator) Repairs?

My waste disposal is broken. It hums but doesn't turn. I tried resetting it by pushing the red button but no luck. No manual twist key neither.

Anyone know how to repair it for cheap? I am renting the place and the landlord wouldn't cover it. So the most cost effective method would be ideal. It's a Waste King unit if it helps.

Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Special K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
be real careful with what i'm suggesting here. have you tried looking into the sink hole and see if theres something stuck there?
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Mine messed up recently as well. :S
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Chances are there is a water leak into the housing and the rotor get stuck in the stator; or the stator just deforms with age. It is fairly easy to open up.. but there will be a lot of rust and really not serviceable.

They are list price at Rona / Home Depot / Canadian Tire... 169 for the Badger 5XP... if you not in a hurry, wait for a sale Rona to have their 15% off sale once a while.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Have the same problem right now, but soo much going on that havnt had a change to look at it.

If anyone knows anybody that can repair, PM. have a feeling that it's broken and most likely need it replaced.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

The garburator should only be 2 years old as the apartment building was built in 2011.

Let's just say don't ever put celery in there... The strings are lethal. I think that's what broke it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i had the same problem also. turn the breaker switch for the garb off. put a glove on and manually wiggle the tray or whatever it is back and forth. The chunk that was causing the motor to get stuck came loose and the motor started spinning again.

may have to remove it and turn it upside down to tap it out... i'm not a plumber but i looked up some youtube videos and was ready to remove it if needed.

buy a screen to cover the garb from large chunks until you need to use it.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
i'd just swap it out.

order off amazon and pick up at point roberts.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #9

The sink is overflowing as well because shit in there can't move. I have put draino in there when it first died. It struggled to work but it moved a little.

Anyone have contacts to a repair person or a tech? It's annoying to clean the screen every 5 mins when chopping / washing veggies.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #10

Anything cuttings from plants which are uncooked should go into the green bin.

I use the garburator for cooked things and tough things like shells etc. One thing to make sure is add things in when it is at speed (so you can maximize on the momentum) and lots of water to cool down the motor on runs... run it for at least 2 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
The garburator should only be 2 years old as the apartment building was built in 2011.

Let's just say don't ever put celery in there... The strings are lethal. I think that's what broke it.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by godwin; 07-02-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #11

It is easy to swap out. Take about 15 minutes to put in really. You are leaving all the wiring, hose and electric cable in place. Unhook everything, Just turn the garburator or insinkerator 90 degree to get off its collar, it will come down. Reverse you are set.

Quote:
The sink is overflowing as well because shit in there can't move. I have put draino in there when it first died. It struggled to work but it moved a little.

Anyone have contacts to a repair person or a tech? It's annoying to clean the screen every 5 mins when chopping / washing veggies.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #12

When you remove the unit, does water leak down or should i have a pan underneath to catch anything that might drop?

My model only cost $70 on amazon so I might just experiment...

By the way, should this be the landlord or tenant's responsibility to fix?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #13

It will get wet. Draino through machinery probably didn't help matters either.

Quote:
When you remove the unit, does water leak down or should i have a pan underneath to catch anything that might drop?

My model only cost $70 on amazon so I might just experiment...

By the way, should this be the landlord or tenant's responsibility to fix?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
drano is pretty bad for plumbing in general iirc.

i wonder what it did to the garburator lol.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

There should be a "hole" at the bottom of the unit that allows you to put an allen key in and manual turn and free the grinding blade.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

most likely the blades are just stuck, stick a allan key underneath in the hole and give it a twist clockwise, initial twist should be a little stiff, turn it until the allan key can easily move left and right. Press the red button after if needed and it should work.
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

Had that issue a few times with my unit at home. Humming noise but doesn't turn. Didn't have a allan key on me. I just found a stick and used it push on the blades until it spun around a few times. Turned it back on and it was fine.
Posted via RS Mobile
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
One time a shot glass went in, and when it shattered, it jammed it up. I removed the garburator, shook out the glass, and plugged it back in. It was still jammed. Removed it one more time, and gave it a good hard hit on the floor. That did the trick
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2K View Post
Had that issue a few times with my unit at home. Humming noise but doesn't turn. Didn't have a allan key on me. I just found a stick and used it push on the blades until it spun around a few times. Turned it back on and it was fine.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ya, I used a screwdriver with mine was doing the samething. Haven't had any problems since knock on wood.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2K View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
This worked for me last week.
Pulled the splash guard and gave it the stick.
An oyster shell got in there and froze the works.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Landlord's responsibility. If you put something down like a metal chain, or a 2x4 then yeah, the repair is on you, but under normal use, you don't have to pay for repairs. That is the joy of renting.

But for normal knowledge, I have had success of pulling it out so you can work on it and clearing out whatever is inside causing the blockage. After 2 years, it shouldn't be due for replacement.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
One time a shot glass went in, and when it shattered, it jammed it up. I removed the garburator, shook out the glass, and plugged it back in. It was still jammed. Removed it one more time, and gave it a good hard hit on the floor. That did the trick
lol...when is doubt, smack it against something. this is how i like fixing stuff
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #23

I was quoted $130/hr to fix or $300 to replace with a new unit. Too expensive and it's not even my apartment. I will play with it more and report back.

There's nothing to turn from the bottom. I can reach in from the top but that's scary as hell.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
If you're handy enough to DIY buy whatever unit you want, switch it out + use it and then switch the broken one back in when you move out.

Last edited by Matlock; 07-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
I was quoted $130/hr to fix or $300 to replace with a new unit. Too expensive and it's not even my apartment. I will play with it more and report back.

There's nothing to turn from the bottom. I can reach in from the top but that's scary as hell.
...or tell your amateur hour landlord that repairs are the joys of owning a place and letting someone else live there for money.

Do you need ME to call him?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote