REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
No more free transit for police, fire, rescue

No more free transit for police, fire, rescue - British Columbia - CBC News

No more free transit for police, fire, rescue
CBC News Posted: Apr 8, 2013 5:56 PM PT Last Updated: Apr 9, 2013 6:27 AM PT

TransLink is scrapping a program that provides free transit for police, fire and rescue personnel on B.C.'s south coast.

The change, which comes into effect on July 1, means an end to years of free bus and Skytrain journeys.

Chief operating officer Doug Kelsey said the changes are being made as TransLink re-negotiates tariff agreements allowing 40 user groups to ride for free.

"We've done a review with the department of fisheries, fire and police. Many of them have been able to flash their badges and ride for free for years," he said.

"Part of being a cost-effective organization is reviewing that."

Kelsey said TransLink is reviewing its programs as it prepares for the launch of the Compass card – a pre-paid electronic fare card.

The Compass card will work across the regional transit system, including Coast Mountain buses, the SeaBus and the WestCoast Express.

The move to the Compass system and installation of the related fare gates is expected to cost more than $171 million.

BC Transit employees have already begun paying to use the transit system. But attempts last year to cut the TaxiSaver program backfired.

TaxiSaver provides a 50 per cent subsidy towards the cost of taxi rides for registered users of the HandyDart service, designed for physically or cognitively disabled passengers.

Members of the Canadian National Institute of the Blind (CNIB) and war amputees still receive free rides, but TransLink says those agreements are also up for negotiation.

"Whatever the catalysts are -- in this case, Compass is coming for sure -- and so we are reviewing the tariff right now and we're looking at all elements of the tariff," said Kelsey.

Burnaby Mayor Derrick Corrigan, a former Translink chair, said the Compass program could be more expensive than previously thought.

"I think the system is sweating a little, as they realize there is going to be additional costs... They are trying to show that they are going to be tough on ensuring all fares are paid," he said.

Translink would not say how much money would be saved as a result of the changes, but added that further negotiations with other groups would take place over the next few months.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
That's some seriously stale news
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Makes sense since they now have their own police force.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Works for me. Like most of these things, there may have been a value in having police riding transit to decrease crime.

Now they can pay like anyone else.

And, to be sure, I'm sure we can count down to a union rep claiming how unfair this move is, and possibly use the word "hero".

Now...transit employees not getting free rides seems bizarre. Next up: transit employees will be found to be riding for free anyway.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
the title isn't exactly accurate. they are currently negotiating.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
I am grateful grapefruit

Yeah, I thought Transit Employees get 2 passes. One for themselves, one for a family member?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

Eh, they can pay for it.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

About time it happened
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote