REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Port Moody Police investigating arrest caught on youtube video

Quote:
PORT MOODY (NEWS1130) – Someone has posted a short video showing a Port Moody police officer forcing a suspect to the ground.

The force says it will not be commenting any further on this matter, as the incident is under review.

The 18-second video was shot outside the Golden Spike Pub on Saturday. It appears to show an officer attempting to put handcuffs on a man before swinging his right arm over the suspect’s shoulder, hooking him under the chin, and forcing him to the ground with a thud.

The officer’s hand can be seen on the suspect’s throat.

The audio is faint, but a voice can be heard saying, “You’ll do exactly what your told. You understand me? You’ll do exactly as your told.”

Officers had been called to the pub about an argument between a man and a woman.

Port Moody Police say pub staff told them the pair had been thrown out for assaulting and threatening employees.

Tracey Ferris says the police version of events is absolutely false. She called News1130 this afternoon and says the man in the video is her boyfriend, Herbert Ramos, and denies the couple had argued with each other.

“We had already paid our bill, which I have a copy of,” she says. “We were never thrown out of the bar.”

She admits the couple did argue with door staff.

“The bouncers closed in on me and demanded to see my ID upon leaving the establishment,” she explains. “So once I’m asked for identification I ask the bouncers why that’s necessary.”

Ferris says she tried to explain that the couple had been at the bar for hours, with several friends, and that they were trying to leave.

“They were asking me something about wristbands,” she says, but claims the couple had not been given wristbands upon arrival, sometime after 5:30 in the afternoon.

Ferris tells News1130 she and Ramos were with 15 or 20 other people, celebrating someone’s birthday, and insists the group was not drunk or rowdy. She claims she does not understand the origin of the police story about the intoxicated couple fighting with each other and staff at the bar.

“It’s completely inaccurate,” she insists. “And the police actually apologized to us upon releasing us early.”

Ferris says Ramos suffered a concussion and other injuries during his arrest, and the couple will be filing a complaint.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
port moody cops are usually bored out of their minds and certainly don't fuck around when their called upon
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I find that most of the time Port Moody cops are complete pricks on a power trip a lot of the time. No matter what happened the officer didn't have a right doing that to the guy when his hands were behind his back and wasn't resiting arrest.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
that thud
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I find that most of the time Port Moody cops are complete pricks on a power trip a lot of the time. No matter what happened the officer didn't have a right doing that to the guy when his hands were behind his back and wasn't resiting arrest.
I can already see how the cop is gonna say, the guy turned around while he was getting ready to be handcuffed, and the cop thought he was gonna turn around to resist arrest / attack him. So his training kicked in, and he "reflexively" restrained the guy and threw him to the ground.

And the ridiculous thing is, when the inquiry comes (probably conducted by another buddy buddy police department), the cop will not be found at fault, and he'll just get off the hook with minimal consequences once again.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

There is almost no one to keep these cops honest in Canada. There is no accountability to their actions. Horrible.

Last edited by E60_M5; 07-09-2013 at 10:17 AM.
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Cop will be suspended for 2 weeks, with full pay and extra vacation hours.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #8

The only trace of accountability seems to come from video/photo evidence + widespread media coverage + public outcry. And then there is a chance the PD / solicitor general will authorize an investigation. From what I recall, the Dziekanski incident was like this; the NW cop beating up an Indian newspaper delivery fellow went through the same route; the VPD beating up this Chinese fellow on a domestic violence investigation went through the same thing. If the incident doesn't follow this formula, good luck with hoping for accountability...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

cops investigating cops... thats what u get.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
NSX
NA1

Looks bad, but cop will walk simply because he can articulate why he did that. Guy appeared to be submissive in a handcuff position, then turned away. At that point, that's active resistance, which allows the cop to use hard physical control. However, the cop had "other" options. Did it work? Yup. Does it look good? Nope. Justified force? Probably.
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The only trace of accountability seems to come from video/photo evidence + widespread media coverage + public outcry. And then there is a chance the PD / solicitor general will authorize an investigation. From what I recall, the Dziekanski incident was like this; the NW cop beating up an Indian newspaper delivery fellow went through the same route; the VPD beating up this Chinese fellow on a domestic violence investigation went through the same thing. If the incident doesn't follow this formula, good luck with hoping for accountability...
the worst case IMO ian bush.

an unarmed man in custody got shot in the back of the head...and the cops responsible got away scott free
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
the worst case IMO ian bush.

an unarmed man in custody got shot in the back of the head...and the cops responsible got away scott free
The Ian Bush case is a lot more controversial than you have suggested here, so I wouldn't compare it against the Port Moody one we are discussing now.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #13

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
if you pause the video right at the 3 sec mark you'll see that he got his right hand loose and was turning towards the cop.

it does look like he couldve been trying to take a swing at him. we dont see what happened before this video if he was being combative with the staff and the cops before hand this doesnt seem unjust.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
I don't get it

Wasn't the whole point of the IIO to conduct impartial investigations of these kinds of incidents? Or am I missing something?
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
if you pause the video right at the 3 sec mark you'll see that he got his right hand loose and was turning towards the cop.

it does look like he couldve been trying to take a swing at him. we dont see what happened before this video if he was being combative with the staff and the cops before hand this doesnt seem unjust.
I was going to say the same thing but was expecting a fail storm. People are always keen to hate on the cops, the guy should have no reason to turn towards the cop while being handcuffed, what else is the cop suppose to think? too much assuming from small clip of an incident.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #16

^^ Undoubtedly the guy was turning away from the cop, and I agree that the clip is too short to tell whether he was previously being aggressive to the officer. From the looks of the clip, however, he was simply turning away from the cop, and it didn't seem like he was attempting to turn around to attack or anything. That would certainly qualify as resisting arrest, and that is precisely the reason why the cop went on with the use of force.

Obviously, I am not a cop and have neither the training or experience in dealing with arrests like this. As a layman, however, given how unaggressive the person seems to look in the video, I think it would be adequate for the officer to simply restrain him. The head lock could probably be justified, but the throw down and subsequent throat choke seem excessive to me.

Now, I recognize that in the spurt of the moment, the officer probably doesn't have the luxury to analyze the situation as carefully as we are doing here. So he is probably relying on his instincts from training and experience, and that's how the 3-hit combo (head lock, throw down, throat choke) came to be. I am not surprised he did what he did, but I would still say the use of force in this case was excessive.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #17

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
People are always keen to hate on the cops
Just as keen as people are labeling citizens who disagree with police conduct as "cop haters."
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #18

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Just as keen as people are labeling citizens who disagree with police conduct as "cop haters."
And in RS, what's the ratio of that?
Posted via RS Mobile
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I both love and hate the police.

Yes, there is the YVR(infamous) incident, which featured a constructed story by all the police officers that meant without that video, we would NEVER even know the guys name.

There was the incident in WA where that wood carver got shot too.

I think that there has been a power shift in the days post 9/11. I hate to go there, but I think it forms the basis of a new North American perception that we were weak, and little by little need a stronger, slightly less restrained(in Canada) police presence and a really not restrained presence in the US.

And people's perceptions of whats allowed seem to change by the day. I was watching the door to door manhunt in Boston saying, literally what. the. fuck. We're doing full house inspections now? That's cool? In Canada I'd say we don't have the strong laws to prevent it, but in the states, that's insane. And people went along with it.

So, to me, that's what affects us when these videos come out. We're on the watch..because of the change in balance of power.

We had a guy arrested in our back parking lot. I assume violently based on the stories of the people that saw it. They checked him into the wall. My vines were everywhere I assume it would look violent on tape too. But what are you supposed to do? Use calm voices and talk them into handcuffs like a puppy?

"Good boy. Gooooood boy. That's it. Shake a hand! Yay! That's one cuff"

I think they have a public relations issue to address. Not an easy one to solve by any means.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
I love how these videos only show the incident in question. Nothing from before the incident!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #21

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
And in RS, what's the ratio of that?
Posted via RS Mobile
I'll check with StatsCan and get back to you...

I have a feeling that on RS, there are the usual extremists for both sides and then everyone else in the middle.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #22
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
There are a lot of power tripping cops out there but there are also dickheads in every profession. I can honestly see how carrying around a gun and policing could get to one's head. Power to those who remain humble, hopefully they're the ones who get promoted.

It's also my opinion that any cool guy out there who likes to say they hate cops lose their right to call them when they think they're in danger. The only people that can truly say "fuck the police" are those who are hard enough that they always take matters in their own hands and never call the cops. Those people are out there.

If all you're doing is talking shit, take my advice: do yourself a favour and stop because everyone sees through you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #23

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
There are a lot of power tripping cops out there but there are also dickheads in every profession. I can honestly see how carrying around a gun and policing could get to one's head. Power to those who remain humble, hopefully they're the ones who get promoted.

It's also my opinion that any cool guy out there who likes to say they hate cops lose their right to call them when they think they're in danger. The only people that can truly say "fuck the police" are those who are hard enough that they always take matters in their own hands and never call the cops. Those people are out there.

If all you're doing is talking shit, take my advice: do yourself a favour and stop because everyone sees through you.
thats the most retarded thing ive heard, we all pay for the police we have every right to criticize them. They are here to serve and protect the public not themselves.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #24

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
I'll check with StatsCan and get back to you...

I have a feeling that on RS, there are the usual extremists for both sides and then everyone else in the middle.
Nice try with the sarcasm bro. Good to know that's all you got. Although your correct that there are extremists on both sides, there' s no doubt as to which camp has the more dominant representation, especially considering RS' s primary demographic; which is what i was referring to. Nice try dodging it though.
Posted via RS Mobile

Actually, I'm really curious as to what the police "instructions" were that prompted that. Judging by the short (maybe conveniently) clip, despite the aggressive take down, what throws me off is that the officer's tone and language was hardly abusive. Stern but not abusive in my books.

Actually, now that I think of it, why don't people just upload the whole clip? If the guy videotaping wanted to expose the cops for who they really are, wouldn't it serve his/her purpose better if they show the whole thing and put these "cops" more on display? Video looks bad but it's why a lot of people just take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Noir; 07-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
thats the most retarded thing ive heard, we all pay for the police we have every right to criticize them. They are here to serve and protect the public not themselves.
I guess we know which category you fall in.

Criticize those who deserve criticism, sure. But blanket statements like, "I hate the pigs." tell me you have no use for any of them.. prove it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 07-09-2013 at 06:16 PM.
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote