REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Why'd you do that for?

What maxxxxx said...not wearing gear is a small grain of salt in the grand scheme of things. I think everyone should ride their own ride and worry about their own skin. People on revscene, bcsb, 604motor, etc seem to create unnecessary debates on these things when the purpose of these "sections" is to meet other riders and seting up rides. We all should just respect what other people prefer and out of common courtesy, keeping negative comments to themselves.
Advertisement
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #27
Support Team Mod

Pheet if you are that warm in your jacket open the vents or undo the zip a few inches it will let a lot of air in and it is still safe
Posted via RS Mobile
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheet View Post
I am a new rider. I got my leather jacket in the mail a couple of days ago and tested it out for about an hour and a half going to Burnaby and then back to Surrey. Needless to say, I was sweating like a pig after my ride. I have never in my life have gotten a shirt as wet as I have earlier. I understand that it gets hot when you're in a stand still but when you're riding along, its pretty breezy and you dont even feel the sweat on your back. What I don't understand is why people would risk getting serious injuries rather than playing it safe by wearing gear and just taking a nice and cold shower after their ride. Oh well, to each his own I guess.
Always remember to wear some sort of drifit as your base layer to wick away the sweat.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #29
Banned By Establishment

One saying that Dat from PRS said to me when I did my course back in 95 has always stuck with me.
" I would rather sweat than bleed "
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
2-Wheelin' Mod

The timing of this thread turned out to be pretty curious.

I got an urgent call yesterday that one of my friends had been in a bike accident.

Appears that a car ran a stop sign on a busy road and went straight in front of him. He avoided hitting the car but went down with the bike ontop of him. The bike's momentum dragged him for about 15-20 feet. Obviously, the blood illustrated the length that he was dragged...

The car paused momentarily and then took off as quickly as it could. Some bystanders helped him off the road.

I spent much of the night in the ER with him. He is in good spirits but will be out of work for a few weeks.

He was wearing his leather jacket with built-in armour, helmet, gloves with armor, jeans and boots. The MAJOR damage was to his legs below his waist and above his boots.... lots and lots and lots of rash.... The front of his leather jacket is also very turn up and in one spot was actually ground away to nothing. His right arm is covered in heavy bruising... and this was all WITH gear.... I have trouble imagining that a textile jacket would have held up nearly as well as the leather jacket.... (I wear a textile jacket)

I guess the point is that no matter how good a rider "you" are... the risk is as much about the elements and OTHER people as it is about a mistake that you make... I dread to imagine what kind of shape he would be in otherwise.

We got a chance to talk to the nurses in the ER about what they see during the summer and the graphic detail was hard to stomach but it's not a lot different than what I hear from my Mom (also an ER nurse).....

A very sobering experience...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
no megusta....
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #32
Why'd you do that for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
The timing of this thread turned out to be pretty curious.

I got an urgent call yesterday that one of my friends had been in a bike accident.

Appears that a car ran a stop sign on a busy road and went straight in front of him. He avoided hitting the car but went down with the bike ontop of him. The bike's momentum dragged him for about 15-20 feet. Obviously, the blood illustrated the length that he was dragged...

The car paused momentarily and then took off as quickly as it could. Some bystanders helped him off the road.

I spent much of the night in the ER with him. He is in good spirits but will be out of work for a few weeks.

He was wearing his leather jacket with built-in armour, helmet, gloves with armor, jeans and boots. The MAJOR damage was to his legs below his waist and above his boots.... lots and lots and lots of rash.... The front of his leather jacket is also very turn up and in one spot was actually ground away to nothing. His right arm is covered in heavy bruising... and this was all WITH gear.... I have trouble imagining that a textile jacket would have held up nearly as well as the leather jacket.... (I wear a textile jacket)

I guess the point is that no matter how good a rider "you" are... the risk is as much about the elements and OTHER people as it is about a mistake that you make... I dread to imagine what kind of shape he would be in otherwise.

We got a chance to talk to the nurses in the ER about what they see during the summer and the graphic detail was hard to stomach but it's not a lot different than what I hear from my Mom (also an ER nurse).....

A very sobering experience...
glad hes okay. was there any witnesses on the car taking off?
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #33
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
Always remember to wear some sort of drifit as your base layer to wick away the sweat.
reminds me... must go buy more dri-fit shirts.

back on topic, after reading and seeing that article no more riding with just back protector anymore...

always nice to hv a reminder to gear up
kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #34
Support Team Mod

From my Ex Brother-in-Laws FB page

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #35
2-Wheelin' Mod

They got the plate. he is going to be back at work soon.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #36
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
saw a guy riding shirtless and in shorts.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #37
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Was he sexy as fuck?
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #38