REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Disputing Towing Charge

Ok ill make this short.

I was at spanish banks where my gf parked her car on grass right next to other parked cars. Theres no signs what so ever that indicates that she couldnt park there. Rewind 2 years ago where my buddy told me to park at the exact same spot. He told me that Police have seem him park there and never did a thing. So ive been doing it for the past 2 years. atleast a dozen times where ive never been towed. I even asked a police officer if i was allowed to park there. He looked at all the signs and he said "Theres no signs that say u cant park there" so he let me be.

So last weekend, my gfs car was parked at that spot and got towed. A Park Ranger apparently called it to be towed. There was no parking ticket issued. But she had to pay for the $100 towing charge

can i dispute this?
Advertisement
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Yup. In small claims court. Be sure to take many pics or even video of location. You could also take pics and talk to the towing company and let them know you will be taking action to reclaim your towing fee.

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Just be careful when parking there next time, a TON of cars park along the roadway on the south side, in the eastbound lane, where they have signs. I don't know why people always park there as it would be a like shooting a fish in a barrel for cops and tow trucks.. the only issue is, they have to tow the very first car and move their way down lol

do you have pics of where you parked?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
I am grateful grapefruit

Honestly, I wouldn't trust the word of that police officer. I know a lot of people used to do it - but it really depends on if/when the city would crack down on it. Just because there isn't a curb to prevent you from getting onto the grass, it doesn't mean you're allowed to park here. The city allows you to park at the edge of the road (If there are no signs telling you otherwise), or in designated parking lots.

I know a lot of people will see one person parking, and just say, screw it, they can't tow all of us.

Just saying, it might not be worth taking it to Small Claims if you're just going to lose. Might be better off contacting the Vancouver Park Board and ask if they have any bylaws regarding parking on that area (if it belonged to the park board).