REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Shipping to Point Roberts from Asia then back to Canada

So there is this store on eBay who charges $25 to ship to US and $250 to ship to Canada. The item costs $450 so there is a very high chance of me getting charged with taxes/duties and brokerage fees. This is the only store that has what I am looking for.

When the item arrives at Pt. Roberts' postal office, does the post office pay for the tax/duty/brokerage fees first and then I pay them afterwards? So then if I cross the border again, will I get charged with taxes/duty again?

I've shipped smaller items that are less than $100 from Asia to point roberts and never encountered duties/taxes, but $450 is pretty much guaranteed that I will get charged.

In a simpler form:
Product from China shipped to Point Roberts receiving office like The Letter Carrier -> Will there be taxes/duties imposed on the product when it enters the US that I have to pay for?
Advertisement

Last edited by mikey2781; 07-09-2013 at 08:17 PM.
mikey2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Call your pt roberts receiver?
Posted via RS Mobile
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

I would but they are closed and the auction is ending in like a few hours.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

If it costs $25 to ship to US, then it's $25 to the US. Simple as that.
Then you pay the fee for using their office, and depending on the weight of the thing you bought, then it'll probably vary from as low as $3.50 to ______.

Now when you head back to Canada and you declare $450, you will most likely get sent in to get checked up, which you will then pay.. 12%? I think...

Either way, you save money when you ship to the states.

--

Just last week, I got charged for buying 2 front lips for US $500. I guess I got sent in because the boxes were just so damn huge. In the end, I paid like $62 in taxes? Probably would've been better for me to ship to Canada on my end.. But in your situation, it's still pretty good

Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
All depends on the person working at the border when you're crossing. I've been charged with $200 worth of items before, and I have also crossed the border with $550 worth of stuff without being taxed. That being said, it's always safer to assume that you will have to pay tax with anything over $200. The receiver doesn't charge you anything except for the storage fee, which depending on the item/receiving company you use, is usually under $5 (also depending on weight/size). You do not have to pay the receiving company tax for the value of your item.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
All depends on the person working at the border when you're crossing. I've been charged with $200 worth of items before, and I have also crossed the border with $550 worth of stuff without being taxed. That being said, it's always safer to assume that you will have to pay tax with anything over $200. The receiver doesn't charge you anything except for the storage fee, which depending on the item/receiving company you use, is usually under $5 (also depending on weight/size). You do not have to pay the receiving company tax for the value of your item.
Even if the item is made in China and shipped from China? So when it enters the US from China, no duties/taxes are imposed on the item?

"Im just scared they are going to charge me tax and duty twice... For example, lets say TSB Shipping tells me they got charged brokerage fees and taxes/duties from Fedex then I would have to pay the charges to pick the item up from TSB Shipping. Then when I am crossing the border, I am importing it into Canada and I would have to pay again O.o"

Unless importing stuff from China into the US has no charges? Or does it work differently because it is a receiving company?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
I have a feeling they don't accept packages from out of country... why would they pay out of pocket for any customs/duty charges when there's a chance that you might not pick up your package and they won't have a way to recoup the costs?

Did you try emailing the seller and asking why the charge to USA and CAnada is different and that you want to buy the item but that's stopping you from making the purchase? You might be surprised he may cut you a deal.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
They won't pay to accept your packages. Shipping to point roberts only makes sense when the stuff originates in the states -- you will get yourself into a real clusterfuck if you send a package originating in China, worth $450, to point roberts. It will most likely get refused (assuming import taxes for america) then you are SOL.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Weird how something from China would charge so much more to ship to Canada compared to USA, usually the reason why shipping is so much cheaper because it's from US to US :P I have gotten parts shipped from China before as well to Point Roberts and it was fine, but it was only about $100 worth of stuff and I'm not sure if they actually put the value on the box or if they just simply put "gift". It's probably best for you to call the specific receiving company that you plan to ship it to and ask them directly just to make sure

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You need to be specific.. What are you trying to get shipped? Look up the Commodity Code for your product then look up the duty for that specific Commodity.. you will know how much import tax (if any) will incur if you ship the product to Pt Bob.. you don't need to call your shipping place. Since it is in the automotive section.. I will wager the duty ranges from 5% - 13%.

eg website here
http://www.dutycalculator.com/online-customs-tools/

If you are trying to alibaba some replica rims be warned they do check for all the safety markings etc.

It is not even bottle rocket science.

Last edited by godwin; 07-09-2013 at 10:32 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #11

Honestly 1. the Chinese seller is gouging 2. Shipping to US is much simpler if you do it every day. Canadian custom forms are a bit more complicated and they have to look it up.. so consider that extra is "administrative" fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
Weird how something from China would charge so much more to ship to Canada compared to USA, usually the reason why shipping is so much cheaper because it's from US to US :P I have gotten parts shipped from China before as well to Point Roberts and it was fine, but it was only about $100 worth of stuff and I'm not sure if they actually put the value on the box or if they just simply put "gift". It's probably best for you to call the specific receiving company that you plan to ship it to and ask them directly just to make sure

Last edited by godwin; 07-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
As stated above there will be duties and taxes charged when it gets imported into the states, then again you may be charged duties and taxes by the CBSA to import them into Canada. Keep that in mind in determining if it is worth it or not...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #13

I think if you have the documentation that duty has been paid on entry to the NAFTA zone, you don't need to pay duty again... however there will be PST + GST..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
As stated above there will be duties and taxes charged when it gets imported into the states, then again you may be charged duties and taxes by the CBSA to import them into Canada. Keep that in mind in determining if it is worth it or not...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #14

Not really.. there are plenty of work related from China that are worth while to ship via Pt Bob especially if you have a truck. Any heavy duty tools like cold saws, CNC parts, industrial lasers etc, I got a CO2 laser tube that way. Even with 13% duty, you are still ahead at least 33%+ getting it in Canada.

Most shipping places will accept it, especially those you have a long relationship with.. or you call ahead and leave them a credit card for the charges.

Just compare the price between Grizzly tools vs King General tools that KMS sells.. it is the same thing, just the sticker is freaking different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
They won't pay to accept your packages. Shipping to point roberts only makes sense when the stuff originates in the states -- you will get yourself into a real clusterfuck if you send a package originating in China, worth $450, to point roberts. It will most likely get refused (assuming import taxes for america) then you are SOL.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Ship it to the US post office general delivery.

You're still ahead even if you don't get the lucky wavethrough.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote