REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,883 Times in 745 Posts
The juicer/blender debate

Currently debating between the following:

Omega VRT350HD
Vitamix 5200
Blendtec Total

Looking to juice wheatgrass and mostly fruits with some veggies.

Obviously the juicer would be best for juicing specifically, but both the Vitamix and Blendtec are good for doing other things as well. Not great for wheatgrass though. Would probably buy this hand-powered wheatgrass juicer to supplement a blender purchase.

Can anyone chime in?
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hurom slow juicer
Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
A blender is MUCH more useful kitchen tool.
Alton Brown warns against uni-taskers like a juicer.

So the question is, will you be doing juice like every morning to make a juicer worth it?
Some things like kale don't juice well, so you might as well get the fiber in your diet.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

Maybe not every day, but a few times a week at least. We have a cheapie $50 one that isn't very efficient and is a PITA to clean.
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
I don't get it

Omega 9006HD, super easy to clean. I use mine twice a day, great for leafy greens like chards, spinach. The sucky part is that if you want to juice apples, you'll have to cut them up a bit before they'll fit in the chute. Same with any other fruits and veg that doesn't fit.

Bed bath and beyond also matches prices from Amazon.ca.

Last edited by Zordon; 07-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
My wife has been using a Breville Juice Fountain for a year now with no issues. Read many reviews and sometimes more money wasn't always better. This gets a lot of the juice out (run through the shredings and nothing comes out), kale goes through well, whole apples, and easy to clean. Bought it at LD with a 4 year over the counter warranty for $160 all in (was on sale elsewhere and LD will price match).

Breville Juice Fountain Plus - BREJE98XL - London Drugs
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Currently debating between the following:

Omega VRT350HD
Vitamix 5200
Blendtec Total

Looking to juice wheatgrass and mostly fruits with some veggies.

Obviously the juicer would be best for juicing specifically, but both the Vitamix and Blendtec are good for doing other things as well. Not great for wheatgrass though. Would probably buy this hand-powered wheatgrass juicer to supplement a blender purchase.

Can anyone chime in?
I don't have the link handy, but consider the $100 ninja blender. It scored *very* well in a consumer reports test and while no vitamix, is way cheaper.

The blendtec did not fare as well and came as a not recommended. Get the vitamix if you want a high end blender.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #8

Yup, definitely leaning towards the Vitamix. 70 years in the business surely has to count for something.
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
The point of a juicer is to get a LOT of juice into you every day. Not to make tasty smoothies...

When I make a juice with my wife, I usually use at least 2-3 POUNDS of green veggies, with a couple fruits added for flavour.

Try putting that in a blender and see how much you can drink. And see how your gut feels when you send 3 pounds of fiber through it. Better make sure you're near a toilet for the rest of the day

So to answer your debate, you have to decide why you are juicing. Is it to get a healthy vitamin/mineral/nutrient boost every day? Or is it to make fruit smoothies for breakfast?

If it's the former, get a juicer. If it's the latter, get a blender. If you want to juice something specific (kale, wheatgrass, etc) make sure you get the right equipment for it.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
I own the vrt350hd. Works well if you slice all your leafy greens. I basically cut any leafy greens or celery a 1/3 inch. I juiced fasted 20 days and lost 24lbs. The juice last longer on the slow juicers. hurom slow juicer is same design. To save time, I would juice 2L of juice every night for the next day. It's also pulpy, but you could strain the juice. I forgot about the foam theres a lot of it. I would have preferred the 8006 model. You can freeze fruit and throw it in and make sherbert.

Heres a video for wheat grass for the omega juicers.

Last edited by corollagtSr5; 07-19-2013 at 10:14 PM.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I blend veggies and fruits. I tried juicing before, but for some reason prefer blending.

My usual juice blend is a small root of ginger, half a clove of garlic, tomato (2), orange (1), sweet mango (1) and ice.

For veggie blend: spinach (a bunch of it), carrots (2), some bittermelon, ice.

I have no idea what I'm doing though, but it's definitely my healthier alternative to drinking off the shelf juices or eating snacks.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote