REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
BoostedBB6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,799
Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Boosted your figures go on the assumption that we still pay the full $18 when we buy the plates. otherwise they would not receive any extra money.

I would absolutely pay the full $18 still hell I would pay $40, but some people probably might not see it that way.
Actually, they are not. Please re-read.

They are based on the assumption that the plates are sold to us at 100% profit, so they only cost $9.
And like I said, even it they were $1 to make that's over 3 million dollars saved.....seems like a good plan to me and benefits the tax payer, government and the guy who does not want to run a front plate.
Advertisement
__________________
15' Lexus RC-F

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #52
MOD
 
Gh0stRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VANCOUVER
Posts: 26,777
Thanked 7,492 Times in 1,940 Posts
i got a no front plate ticket.

The officer gave me some options
1. pay the ticket
2. pay the ticket and put the front plate on
3. dispute the ticket, take a picture with the plate on and he will cancel the ticket at traffic court

#3 of course
__________________
M0D3RAT0R

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,715
Thanked 7,529 Times in 2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Actually, they are not. Please re-read.

They are based on the assumption that the plates are sold to us at 100% profit, so they only cost $9.
And like I said, even it they were $1 to make that's over 3 million dollars saved.....seems like a good plan to me and benefits the tax payer, government and the guy who does not want to run a front plate.
ICBC does not save any money...

We pay for the plates. they dont save any money if we stop paying for the plates and they stop making them.

Thats like saying Louis Vuitton can save 8,000,000 dollars a year by not making sunglasses, but that retarded cause then nobody would buy sunglasses from them and they would have simply not made money.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
BoostedBB6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,799
Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
ICBC does not save any money...

We pay for the plates. they dont save any money if we stop paying for the plates and they stop making them.

Thats like saying Louis Vuitton can save 8,000,000 dollars a year by not making sunglasses, but that retarded cause then nobody would buy sunglasses from them and they would have simply not made money.
If a company has to buy 2 of the same item but finds out they only need to buy 1 of those items they SAVE money because they only need to buy 1.

ICBC purchases plates, they do not make them. Each plate costs them money. If they only have to buy half as many plates they only have to spend half as much money meaning that other half of the cost can go back to the tax payers.
It makes perfect sense.....
__________________
15' Lexus RC-F

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
BoostedBB6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,799
Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
And, to be clear. I did not say dont pay for plates, I said cut the number of plates required per vehicle to one plate (the rear one) will drop the cost for ICBC because they now only have to buy 1 plate for each car, not two.
__________________
15' Lexus RC-F

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #56
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,778
Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
It seems as though you are not grasping what is being said so I will take one last try at this.

No one is debating that no front plate is illegal in BC. That is not what anyone is saying. What is being said is the whole concept of a front plate is pointless. It does NOTHING to make the roads a safer place, it only costs the government more money which in turn costs the tax payer more money and also gives them a way to collect additional revenue from the tax payer who does not run a front plate.

And yes, because another province adopted a good idea we SHOULD follow suite. Save a lot of money, appease many people....seems like a good idea to me and if that is the case then yes, BC should adopt these practices.

I call the cops numerous times about these kids. No one EVER shows up. It happens 1 or more times a week. My point in saying this is these drives pose a SAFETY risk and are causing DAMAGE to property. This is what the police should be doing, stopping people from doing things that are unsafe and damaging. No front plate poses no safety risk and no damage to anyone.
As for going to court regarding this, no problem. I have quite the collection of videos of these clowns for this exact reason.
You seem to assume a lot with no backing for anything you keep saying. I do know if the police show up....I live right across the street from this....I have eyes that can see. Sure, maybe one time they have more important things to do but these people pose a safety risk to everyone in the vicinity, this IS a high priority call. Unless someone is being shot/raped/harmed then they need to DO THERE JOB and deal with these people. Its not my job to stop this from happening, nor is is my job to go to court.

You make many invalid points, with no backing other than person opinion....if you wish to retort and continue this please do so with something factual. You claim that the front plate helps with crime. Can you provide any evidence to back your claims or is this assumption on your part? When is the last time a bad driver was pulled over and a witness was needed to back the cops ticket that was issued?
From your profile, I am going to assume you live in Vancouver. If that's accurate then I wouldn't be surprised if the cops didn't show up to your call. I can imagine how busy the cops are dealing with drunks, domestic assaults, robberies, break and enters, all of which are higher priority calls than a traffic incident/disturbance that could potentially damage property, or worst case the idiot drivers themselves. The police don't ignore calls because they are lazy, they attend calls according to priority. If you lived in Richmond and made the same complaint, I assure you it would be dealt with sooner, as the two cities have carry different call loads and priority calls.

I don't agree that not having a front licence plate is not advantageous. Does enforcing a front plate have the same direct effect in driver safety than catching a car that ran a red lighter excessively speeds? No. But having a front plate has its advantages. As I already mentioned, it assists cars from being identified. Whether the car is stolen or is involved in crimes or even a car that's excessively speeding causing a hazard.

The people I see being happy with no front plate seems to be the ones more concerned about esthetics of their car than saving people money.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #57
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,642
Thanked 6,407 Times in 2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
It seems as though you are not grasping what is being said so I will take one last try at this.

No one is debating that no front plate is illegal in BC. That is not what anyone is saying. What is being said is the whole concept of a front plate is pointless. It does NOTHING to make the roads a safer place, it only costs the government more money which in turn costs the tax payer more money and also gives them a way to collect additional revenue from the tax payer who does not run a front plate.

And yes, because another province adopted a good idea we SHOULD follow suite. Save a lot of money, appease many people....seems like a good idea to me and if that is the case then yes, BC should adopt these practices.

I call the cops numerous times about these kids. No one EVER shows up. It happens 1 or more times a week. My point in saying this is these drives pose a SAFETY risk and are causing DAMAGE to property. This is what the police should be doing, stopping people from doing things that are unsafe and damaging. No front plate poses no safety risk and no damage to anyone.
As for going to court regarding this, no problem. I have quite the collection of videos of these clowns for this exact reason.
You seem to assume a lot with no backing for anything you keep saying. I do know if the police show up....I live right across the street from this....I have eyes that can see. Sure, maybe one time they have more important things to do but these people pose a safety risk to everyone in the vicinity, this IS a high priority call. Unless someone is being shot/raped/harmed then they need to DO THERE JOB and deal with these people. Its not my job to stop this from happening, nor is is my job to go to court.

You make many invalid points, with no backing other than person opinion....if you wish to retort and continue this please do so with something factual. You claim that the front plate helps with crime. Can you provide any evidence to back your claims or is this assumption on your part? When is the last time a bad driver was pulled over and a witness was needed to back the cops ticket that was issued?
Realistically the only people the government would be appeasing by getting rid of the front plate are those of us who would rather have the clean look up front than run an ID tag and ruin the lines. The general public doesn't care.

I'm going to quote from another site I frequent where an officer was asked this question:
Quote:
Seriously? As front plates are not required and two plates are not issued on vehicles registered and licensed in the State of NC, I do not know the registeration of a plate w/o viewing it from the rear. When responding to calls where a plate is given, one must maneuver in such a way as to see the plate on the rear of the vehicle as it goes past you. This can become rather difficult when the vehicle is traveling in the opposite direction. In addition, while scanning cars parked in residential PVAs, which are often backed into spaces in most of our city's housing projects, it requires Officers to get out and read a plate instead of proficiently scanning plates to find a stolen vehicle, vehicle of interest, etc. In a third example, vehicle description and license plate are occassionally required when serving a search warrant on a home. Having to go secret squirrel to read the plate of a vehicle parked up to a house can also be time consuming as well as risk tipping off residents inside the home (which is often why, if this is the case, I merely skip the tag and articulate differently). Those are three examples I frequently deal with. Time is of the essence in many situations LEO face; were front plates required in this state, it would make some of our job functions easier.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #58
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
BoostedBB6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,799
Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
From your profile, I am going to assume you live in Vancouver. If that's accurate then I wouldn't be surprised if the cops didn't show up to your call. I can imagine how busy the cops are dealing with drunks, domestic assaults, robberies, break and enters, all of which are higher priority calls than a traffic incident/disturbance that could potentially damage property, or worst case the idiot drivers themselves. The police don't ignore calls because they are lazy, they attend calls according to priority. If you lived in Richmond and made the same complaint, I assure you it would be dealt with sooner, as the two cities have carry different call loads and priority calls.

I don't agree that not having a front licence plate is not advantageous. Does enforcing a front plate have the same direct effect in driver safety than catching a car that ran a red lighter excessively speeds? No. But having a front plate has its advantages. As I already mentioned, it assists cars from being identified. Whether the car is stolen or is involved in crimes or even a car that's excessively speeding causing a hazard.

The people I see being happy with no front plate seems to be the ones more concerned about esthetics of their car than saving people money.
I agree with this 99.9%.
However, I do not live in Vancouver and I prefer to keep my exact location private (sound like a weirdo I know) but where I live car issues are very common and the police are more than happy to jump to it the majority of the time.
My biggest issues is these kids do this in a school parking lot. A parking lot that sees many young people pass through it during the day some some at night (school yard party'ers). I don't want to see people get hurt.

As for the no plate on the front, there are advantages to it of course, but $14million dollars worth? The people on here will not like them due to the asthetics of them on there cars, I agree with that totally but I also see other advantages of this that will effect every tax payer.

Regardless of all this banter, the fact of the matter is we have front plates, your cars have front plate mounting points....put the front plate in them and save yourself the worry of getting tagged for not having one.
__________________
15' Lexus RC-F

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #59
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Speed2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: yvr
Posts: 1,270
Thanked 604 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post

According to stats can there are 3,236,166 registered vehicles in the province of BC.
Currently ICBC charges $18 for replacement plates if lost/stolen/ect.
Now lets say that we pay a 100% premium on the plates and it costs the BC government $9 to make 1 set of plates.
Thats $4.50 per plate to be made.

$4.50 x 3,236,166 = $14,562,747

So with a savings of 14.5 million on plates the province of BC could focus on some other things.....like additional police members to pull over the yellow Porsche Boxter that blew past me on the highway doping well over 200km/h and nearly took out my car in his abrupt lane change putting the life of myself, my wife and 2 kids at risk.


PS. Yes, being stats can the numbers may be off but even if the plates cost $1 to make and only half the registers vehicles have plates that's still a savings of $1,618,083. To generate that revenue from plate tickets at $109 each that's 14844 tickets that need to be issued.....ill take a guess but they have not issued that many for plates.
Lol, this makes no sense.

First off, the plates already on the cars are paid for. This is called a "sunk cost."

Secondly, you have it backwards; ICBC would be worse off by not selling the second plate. If ICBC sold the plates for $18 a pair ($9 each) and made a profit of $4.50 per plate sold, they would be forgoing $29million in revenue and (by your calculations) $14,562,747 in profit! Heck if they could, I'm sure ICBC would want to issue a third plate to us to generate even more revenue. IF we did not have to pay for our plates, yes, ICBC would be saving money. In reality ICBC passes the cost to us. If we only needed a single plate we, the consumers, would be saving $9 each time we changed plates or get a new one.
__________________
www.instagram.com/alex.soo/
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #60
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,778
Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
I agree with this 99.9%.
However, I do not live in Vancouver and I prefer to keep my exact location private (sound like a weirdo I know) but where I live car issues are very common and the police are more than happy to jump to it the majority of the time.
My biggest issues is these kids do this in a school parking lot. A parking lot that sees many young people pass through it during the day some some at night (school yard party'ers). I don't want to see people get hurt.

As for the no plate on the front, there are advantages to it of course, but $14million dollars worth? The people on here will not like them due to the asthetics of them on there cars, I agree with that totally but I also see other advantages of this that will effect every tax payer.

Regardless of all this banter, the fact of the matter is we have front plates, your cars have front plate mounting points....put the front plate in them and save yourself the worry of getting tagged for not having one.
The thing is though, you don't know everything behind their reason for having a front plate. I don't disagree that ICBc may be making money as that is what they do. But charging people for lost or stolen plates prevents most people from;

Keeping the plates
Switching plates when they get tickets from private lots
And whatever other reasons people may have for not returning or trying to scam whatever system

The biggest pro, IMO, is being able to identify a vehicle from both the front and the back. I don't know the stats but I'm pretty sure majority of the provinces require front and rear plates. Just because Alberta does it one way, doesn't mean we should. Heck, it's the home of flames and oilers for jeebssake!
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #61
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
brute_4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 689
Thanked 71 Times in 39 Posts
I believe the cop telling you that your fine will be 500 or something is a slight warning that your next offense will result in a vehicle inspection. My uncle owns a shop in Richmond and has had to do vehicle inspections which have stemmed from improper front license plate mounting. And I believe that a vehicle inspection costs somewhere in the range of 500 dollars.

Why not just mount the front plate. Why do ppl think it's such an eyesore. Same thing ppl said about seatbelts being uncomfortable...eventually everybody got used to them.
__________________
00 Beetle Tdi (Herpie the love bug)
02 Focus Wagon
02 WRX Bug Eye Modded
92 Ford Festiva aka the FASTiva (Big GoKart)
08 GSX-R 600 (Sold)
90 Acura Integra Beater (Sold)
97 Jeep Tj Sahara (Sold)
93 Si Hatch Turbo'd IC'd 11 psi (Sold)
1992 Jeep Cherokee LTD (RIP)
1990 MitsubishEagle Talon Tsi (Sold)
brute_4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #62
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Brad Fuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 811
Thanked 37 Times in 19 Posts
The OP probably received a box 3 Notice and Order to fix the problem ie front licence plate. The next ticket would be Fail to Comply with Order which is $598.
This is totally separate from no front plate ticket which could have been issued on top of the Notice and Order.

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/traffic-t...notice-order-3


As for the cost of having a front plate: This would probably not show up in the stats but how many hit and run accidents are there a day? Lots I bet. How many suspect vehicles are identified by the front plate? Half maybe. And assuming those suspects are found at fault then yes those savings are passed on to everyone else in the form of keeping our insurance rates reasonable. I would like to think the suspect is paying out for those collisions.
Brad Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #63
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,715
Thanked 7,529 Times in 2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Lol, this makes no sense.

First off, the plates already on the cars are paid for. This is called a "sunk cost."

Secondly, you have it backwards; ICBC would be worse off by not selling the second plate. If ICBC sold the plates for $18 a pair ($9 each) and made a profit of $4.50 per plate sold, they would be forgoing $29million in revenue and (by your calculations) $14,562,747 in profit! Heck if they could, I'm sure ICBC would want to issue a third plate to us to generate even more revenue. IF we did not have to pay for our plates, yes, ICBC would be saving money. In reality ICBC passes the cost to us. If we only needed a single plate we, the consumers, would be saving $9 each time we changed plates or get a new one.
THANK YOU!

I explained this twice to him, but boosted wouldnt understand. WE PAY FOR THE DAMN PLATES. ICBC doesnt save shit, or make any extra money unless we pay the same $18 and they either A. pay less to have one plate made, or B. if by an odd chance they actually make the plates themselves they save the cost of making the second plate.

I didnt even think about the fact that we pay a premium on the plate. I was only thinking about the cost of the plates themselves. ICBC doesn save shit on the cost of the plates unless we continue to pay the $18.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #64
no
 
jpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: home
Posts: 5,230
Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brute_4s View Post
I believe the cop telling you that your fine will be 500 or something is a slight warning that your next offense will result in a vehicle inspection. My uncle owns a shop in Richmond and has had to do vehicle inspections which have stemmed from improper front license plate mounting. And I believe that a vehicle inspection costs somewhere in the range of 500 dollars.

Why not just mount the front plate. Why do ppl think it's such an eyesore. Same thing ppl said about seatbelts being uncomfortable...eventually everybody got used to them.
vehicle inspection is $500? where?
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net