REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Employment Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/employment-resources_154/)
-   -   [Confidential] Problems with my boss. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686399-%5Bconfidential%5D-problems-my-boss.html)

El Bastardo 07-17-2013 10:00 PM

[Confidential] Problems with my boss.

The following is a post from an anonymous Revscene member. If the anonymous original poster would like to reply to the thread, please PM or email me your replies

Long story short, my " executive chef " / boss " gets angry all the time , swears at me says " fuck you " piece of shit " etc etc and hits me on the back of the head.

But yesterday he slapped me straight across the face and I said why ? He said " if I was unhappy and didnt like it go quit "..

I am wondering what my options are besides quitting " I need this income lol " what can I do? Who can I call?

Can I get him fired, sued, press charges with police, I have 3 witnesses; a co-worker in the kitchen with me, a server whose about 43 years of age, and 3 managers who acknowledge this and it was on the security camera which I can get the footage if I ask the upstairs home office.

MeowMeow 07-17-2013 10:06 PM

That's assault dude physical and verbally.
And yes you can legally sue him.
I say grab the footage before you start using though.
Because your coworkers might back out for sake of their job.
That's disrespectful and super unprofessional. Good luck.

sevewone 07-17-2013 10:09 PM

Dont be a bitch, hit him back next time he does that. If you have no witnesses you are fucked. If no one is around beat the fuck of out that guy then punch yourself in the face a few times so when the cops come it looks like a equal fight :cool:

Marshall Placid 07-17-2013 10:35 PM

Your boss, I am assuming, is one level higher than you?

Or, is he the owner of the restaurant?

Or, just one level higher than you?

My question is:
Is there someone higher than he is?

If so, you may want to talk with the "higher level-uppers".

It is easier said than done for suing.

Firstly, will you be suing the exec. chef?

Or, will you be suing the highest-level manager/owner of the restaurant?

And, what about the legal fees?

Lawyers are $100 to $200 per hour, and only if they want to take you on.

And, lets say you decide to sue, what about your future career?

You won't get good references from the current owner/boss.

It is a difficult situation.

I would say that, if I were you, I would stand up to that "boss" that hit you, and ask him not to, "or else" you will talk with the highest-level boss/owner.

If he is the highest level boss, then threaten him with legal recourse (even though you won't do it).

If you QUIT, you don't get severance.

If he fires you, you get severance.

Good luck.

NKC ONE 07-17-2013 10:43 PM

This type of behavior in the workplace is unacceptable no matter where you work. You can file a complaint to the right authorities and possibly a lawsuit for verbal and physical abuse.

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you just want to keep this job and have him stop the abuse then tell him straight up or else he's gonna get sued or a major beatdown. Tell him you feel disrespected and demand an apology.

From the looks of it, he wants you to quit. If he's the boss then it might be wise for you to leave but under more favorable conditions that benefits you. You got nothing to lose in the scenario, file complaints, gather up your witnesses and sue his ass.

He thinks he's fucking Gordon Ramsay or something.

Energy 07-17-2013 11:01 PM

+1 to talking to someone above the "executive chef". What you described is totally unacceptable.

If you can't afford a lawyer due to income you can always visit the Law Students' Legal Advice Program clinic at UBC for free legal advice.

meme405 07-17-2013 11:12 PM

beat down in the moment would have been correct. now you will have to settle with going above his head.

tool001 07-17-2013 11:33 PM

report to human rights commission. dont need lawyer.they will take him to court if needed

SoNaRWaVe 07-17-2013 11:35 PM

grab the footage, press charges/sue him, quit, go to the press and release the video. if its his restaurant, he can kiss it good bye. if he's just another worker, you can bet the restaurant will feel the impact on the business and will either fire his ass, and/or give you an apology.

rsx 07-17-2013 11:55 PM

If shit really hits the fan, keep the footage, upload that on youtube, let it go viral and wait for the restaurant owners to fire the guy. The chef should be tarnished for the rest of his career.

Verdasco 07-18-2013 12:35 AM

whAt type of restaurant is this?? ill beat the shit out of anyone if they slap me across the face, i work in a restaurant too as a cook. no one deserves to get slapped on the face, even if OP fucked shit up on his orders
Posted via RS Mobile

kb 07-18-2013 03:25 AM

Is this your boss OP?

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/ar...65/1157065.jpg

saucywoman 07-18-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 8283795)
report to human rights commission. dont need lawyer.they will take him to court if needed

I'm not familiar with who you speak of but with my experience you should be able to quit and get ei. Like people have said, try to get this documented because it would help a lot with any avenue you go through. Talk to the witnesses and ask them if they'd be willing to discuss with anyone what they've seen; they may.
Sorry to hear you have a superior like this :(
Posted via RS Mobile

sonick 07-18-2013 08:51 AM

Isn't this a fairly common thing in kitchens? Or is it an old-school mentality and is no longer the case today?

Speaking of Ramsey, there's stories an executive chef (Marco-Pierre White) who actually made Ramsey cry when he was working under him.

inkcognito 07-18-2013 09:13 AM

Like what everyone said in this thread, you should really talk to someone who's a higher authority than him. I work in the kitchen industry also, and I do see some of those scenarios, but PHYSICALLY HITTING YOU? That's just over board.

Also, you said 3 managers saw this? Why didn't they do anything? Maybe that's just how he jokes around...But then again, that still isn't acceptable.

GLOW 07-18-2013 10:18 AM

isn't this an issue for the labour board?

noclue 07-18-2013 11:16 PM

If your managers noticed this but didn't act after you complained keep a note of it, they are now liable.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Take them to court, call the police. Don't let them screw you around.

ScizzMoney 07-18-2013 11:59 PM

Not trying to say what he is doing is right or anyone deserves it.

But, what can you do to stop this from happening? Are you fucking up and costing money to the company? Making the team look bad? There's gotta be a reason. Are you not pulling your weight?

Working on drilling rigs this happened/happens all the time. The guys either step up and do their job or they quit / get fired.

dinosaur 07-19-2013 08:28 AM

BC Human Rights Coalition: Welcome and more specifically Advocacy: Our Services: BC Human Rights Coalition

Request written statements from the witnesses and get the tape. Take pics of any marks. Record dates and times and mane a journal.

Go to the news...post on youtube....call the people above. Watch the fucker burn.

If you don't stand up to him, he will keep doing it to you AND others.

deuel_1 07-21-2013 10:49 PM

Don't quit, file a formal complaint with the restaurants General Manager, take these steps to protect yourself first:

1. Attain the footage of the act
2. Request written statements from the witnesses
3. Document everything you do in regards to this situation.

Your company has a legal obligation to provide a safe workplace (s.44(2) of the BC Human rights code the employer can be held vicariously liable for discriminatory acts), what the executive chef is doing to you is Harassment if your company has a harassment policy make sure you read it and cite it in your formal complaint.

if an internal investigation does not solve the issue, file a complaint with the BC Human Rights Board File a Complaint - BC Human Rights Tribunal

deuel_1 07-21-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScizzMoney (Post 8284641)
Not trying to say what he is doing is right or anyone deserves it.

But, what can you do to stop this from happening? Are you fucking up and costing money to the company? Making the team look bad? There's gotta be a reason. Are you not pulling your weight?

Working on drilling rigs this happened/happens all the time. The guys either step up and do their job or they quit / get fired.

If he is not doing his job it is up to the company to document this and build a case for his legal termination, not to physically abuse him.

stewie 07-21-2013 11:16 PM

ive never worked anywhere that's had video tapes on the staff, so my question is how long do those tapes last? are they on a 24 hour loop or something?

but file a complaint with the bc human rights coalition, pull him aside and give him a stern talk about how hes fucked with you so now your fucking with him.

in the event that you decide to leave your place of work for a better restaurant, be sure to tell us what restaurant it was so I can avoid going there due to an asshole who thinks hes better then everyone else.

quasi 07-22-2013 11:29 AM

When I worked with my dad it was so fucking volatile, don't get me wrong I love the guy but did we fight. We made the O.C. Chopper fights look like pussy shit, fuck kicking in a door objects including fists will be thrown at each other......LOL, what's funny is I wouldn't change those 10 years for anything.

It doesn't sound like you're in a family surrounding so fuck that. Don't let that motherfucker put his hands on you ever. I'm not saying get physical with him but you could walk out at that moment, no regrets. The video evidence idea isn't bad but I'd straight up quit because seriously that sounds messed up and the guy isn't going to change. You might want to gather some evidence so you can sue them when you leave but other then that get the fuck out of there.