REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
[Confidential] Problems with my boss.

The following is a post from an anonymous Revscene member. If the anonymous original poster would like to reply to the thread, please PM or email me your replies

Long story short, my " executive chef " / boss " gets angry all the time , swears at me says " fuck you " piece of shit " etc etc and hits me on the back of the head.

But yesterday he slapped me straight across the face and I said why ? He said " if I was unhappy and didnt like it go quit "..

I am wondering what my options are besides quitting " I need this income lol " what can I do? Who can I call?

Can I get him fired, sued, press charges with police, I have 3 witnesses; a co-worker in the kitchen with me, a server whose about 43 years of age, and 3 managers who acknowledge this and it was on the security camera which I can get the footage if I ask the upstairs home office.
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
PRINCESS

That's assault dude physical and verbally.
And yes you can legally sue him.
I say grab the footage before you start using though.
Because your coworkers might back out for sake of their job.
That's disrespectful and super unprofessional. Good luck.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Dont be a bitch, hit him back next time he does that. If you have no witnesses you are fucked. If no one is around beat the fuck of out that guy then punch yourself in the face a few times so when the cops come it looks like a equal fight
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Your boss, I am assuming, is one level higher than you?

Or, is he the owner of the restaurant?

Or, just one level higher than you?

My question is:
Is there someone higher than he is?

If so, you may want to talk with the "higher level-uppers".

It is easier said than done for suing.

Firstly, will you be suing the exec. chef?

Or, will you be suing the highest-level manager/owner of the restaurant?

And, what about the legal fees?

Lawyers are $100 to $200 per hour, and only if they want to take you on.

And, lets say you decide to sue, what about your future career?

You won't get good references from the current owner/boss.

It is a difficult situation.

I would say that, if I were you, I would stand up to that "boss" that hit you, and ask him not to, "or else" you will talk with the highest-level boss/owner.

If he is the highest level boss, then threaten him with legal recourse (even though you won't do it).

If you QUIT, you don't get severance.

If he fires you, you get severance.

Good luck.

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 07-17-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

This type of behavior in the workplace is unacceptable no matter where you work. You can file a complaint to the right authorities and possibly a lawsuit for verbal and physical abuse.

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you just want to keep this job and have him stop the abuse then tell him straight up or else he's gonna get sued or a major beatdown. Tell him you feel disrespected and demand an apology.

From the looks of it, he wants you to quit. If he's the boss then it might be wise for you to leave but under more favorable conditions that benefits you. You got nothing to lose in the scenario, file complaints, gather up your witnesses and sue his ass.

He thinks he's fucking Gordon Ramsay or something.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
+1 to talking to someone above the "executive chef". What you described is totally unacceptable.

If you can't afford a lawyer due to income you can always visit the Law Students' Legal Advice Program clinic at UBC for free legal advice.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
beat down in the moment would have been correct. now you will have to settle with going above his head.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

report to human rights commission. dont need lawyer.they will take him to court if needed
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
grab the footage, press charges/sue him, quit, go to the press and release the video. if its his restaurant, he can kiss it good bye. if he's just another worker, you can bet the restaurant will feel the impact on the business and will either fire his ass, and/or give you an apology.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
If shit really hits the fan, keep the footage, upload that on youtube, let it go viral and wait for the restaurant owners to fire the guy. The chef should be tarnished for the rest of his career.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
whAt type of restaurant is this?? ill beat the shit out of anyone if they slap me across the face, i work in a restaurant too as a cook. no one deserves to get slapped on the face, even if OP fucked shit up on his orders
Posted via RS Mobile
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #12
kb
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Is this your boss OP?

kb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
report to human rights commission. dont need lawyer.they will take him to court if needed
I'm not familiar with who you speak of but with my experience you should be able to quit and get ei. Like people have said, try to get this documented because it would help a lot with any avenue you go through. Talk to the witnesses and ask them if they'd be willing to discuss with anyone what they've seen; they may.
Sorry to hear you have a superior like this
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
Isn't this a fairly common thing in kitchens? Or is it an old-school mentality and is no longer the case today?

Speaking of Ramsey, there's stories an executive chef (Marco-Pierre White) who actually made Ramsey cry when he was working under him.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Like what everyone said in this thread, you should really talk to someone who's a higher authority than him. I work in the kitchen industry also, and I do see some of those scenarios, but PHYSICALLY HITTING YOU? That's just over board.

Also, you said 3 managers saw this? Why didn't they do anything? Maybe that's just how he jokes around...But then again, that still isn't acceptable.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
isn't this an issue for the labour board?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If your managers noticed this but didn't act after you complained keep a note of it, they are now liable.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Take them to court, call the police. Don't let them screw you around.

Last edited by noclue; 07-18-2013 at 11:23 PM.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Not trying to say what he is doing is right or anyone deserves it.

But, what can you do to stop this from happening? Are you fucking up and costing money to the company? Making the team look bad? There's gotta be a reason. Are you not pulling your weight?

Working on drilling rigs this happened/happens all the time. The guys either step up and do their job or they quit / get fired.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
BC Human Rights Coalition: Welcome and more specifically Advocacy: Our Services: BC Human Rights Coalition

Request written statements from the witnesses and get the tape. Take pics of any marks. Record dates and times and mane a journal.

Go to the news...post on youtube....call the people above. Watch the fucker burn.

If you don't stand up to him, he will keep doing it to you AND others.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Don't quit, file a formal complaint with the restaurants General Manager, take these steps to protect yourself first:

1. Attain the footage of the act
2. Request written statements from the witnesses
3. Document everything you do in regards to this situation.

Your company has a legal obligation to provide a safe workplace (s.44(2) of the BC Human rights code the employer can be held vicariously liable for discriminatory acts), what the executive chef is doing to you is Harassment if your company has a harassment policy make sure you read it and cite it in your formal complaint.

if an internal investigation does not solve the issue, file a complaint with the BC Human Rights Board File a Complaint - BC Human Rights Tribunal
deuel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
Not trying to say what he is doing is right or anyone deserves it.

But, what can you do to stop this from happening? Are you fucking up and costing money to the company? Making the team look bad? There's gotta be a reason. Are you not pulling your weight?

Working on drilling rigs this happened/happens all the time. The guys either step up and do their job or they quit / get fired.
If he is not doing his job it is up to the company to document this and build a case for his legal termination, not to physically abuse him.
deuel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
ive never worked anywhere that's had video tapes on the staff, so my question is how long do those tapes last? are they on a 24 hour loop or something?

but file a complaint with the bc human rights coalition, pull him aside and give him a stern talk about how hes fucked with you so now your fucking with him.

in the event that you decide to leave your place of work for a better restaurant, be sure to tell us what restaurant it was so I can avoid going there due to an asshole who thinks hes better then everyone else.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
When I worked with my dad it was so fucking volatile, don't get me wrong I love the guy but did we fight. We made the O.C. Chopper fights look like pussy shit, fuck kicking in a door objects including fists will be thrown at each other......LOL, what's funny is I wouldn't change those 10 years for anything.

It doesn't sound like you're in a family surrounding so fuck that. Don't let that motherfucker put his hands on you ever. I'm not saying get physical with him but you could walk out at that moment, no regrets. The video evidence idea isn't bad but I'd straight up quit because seriously that sounds messed up and the guy isn't going to change. You might want to gather some evidence so you can sue them when you leave but other then that get the fuck out of there.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 07-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote