REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I hope this sets an example to all parties and the current federal government, America as they know it can collapse from the inside out, given the chance.
Advertisement
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Motor City will never be the same if the unions don't stop from bleeding the city dry.
Motor City will never relive its heyday, and Unions are not to blame.

Detroit's boom-and-bust economy is the cause.

Detroit is just another boomtown that's bust.

The 'American' automotive resource is exhausted, and like boomtowns founded on silver, gold, and timber, Detroit will now wither and die without it.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Really?

If You worry about EVERY negative news headline (planes crashing, cars crashing, people getting murdered) happening here You have some really dark outlook on life, that I think you want to see professional help.

Civilisation comes to an end, so do Planets, Galaxies etc.. However the Universe still keeps on expanding.

IF Vancouver goes bankrupt, the rest of the world would have already been gone. A lot of countries without triple A+ ratings would be in chaos.

I don't think you will want to get into property then... I would say invest in gun and ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Wonder what would happen if Vancouver went bankrupt as well........

On a bright note the Red Wings should move thier team to Vancouver! Than we have 2 teams!
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Wonder what would happen if Vancouver went bankrupt as well........

On a bright note the Red Wings should move thier team to Vancouver! Than we have 2 teams!
If Vancouver goes bankrupt the whole entire land will become musqueam reserve, do you know how valuable nature is in this city to go bankrupt?
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Not newsworthy IMO, city has been in deep financial doo doo for a while.. shit if the OC can go bankrupt anything is possible!
really? theres threads about posting random photos from your phone, where to buy happy meal toys, how to get a free slurpee on july 11th...yet Americas biggest bankruptcy claim of an entire city at almost 20billion in debt isn't newsworthy in your opinion??

lol, what do you find newsworthy then? a hamster water skiing behind an rc boat?(anchorman)
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
really? theres threads about posting random photos from your phone, where to buy happy meal toys, how to get a free slurpee on july 11th...yet Americas biggest bankruptcy claim of an entire city at almost 20billion in debt isn't newsworthy in your opinion??

lol, what do you find newsworthy then? a hamster water skiing behind an rc boat?(anchorman)
lol. i still dont understand what a bunch of grown people are going to do with happy meal toys.

i am really curious now to go and see detroit. is it like spain in the nw top gear?
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
I am grateful grapefruit

Detroit is crazy - apparently, people are buying up properties for $500. Just land with an old dilapidated building on it. It will be worth more sometime later.

Apparently 40% of their streetlamps are burnt out/broken.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #33
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot1 View Post
I was in Detroit this year and it was creepy as hell. First of all, the city is giant but there's no one walking around at all. Even beside Comerica Park and Ford Field (where the Tigers and Lions play), there's barely anyone there. There are also a ton of beautiful giant buildings just abandoned, with graffiti all over them. I can imagine how nice it must have been back in the day but now it really does feel like a Fallout game.
How dangerous would it be for me to walk around with a DSLR? Man, I'm just looking at some pics and that would be an awesome location to shoot. And plane tickets and hotels can't possibly cost much...I can't imagine there are many Detroit tourists. Some of this shit is a couple bushes and deer away from looking like I Am Legend.

I mean most of Spain is a creepy ghetto now but at least you're still in a beautiful country. I imagine Detroit looks...grey.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,395 Times in 550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
How dangerous would it be for me to walk around with a DSLR? Man, I'm just looking at some pics and that would be an awesome location to shoot. And plane tickets and hotels can't possibly cost much...I can't imagine there are many Detroit tourists. Some of this shit is a couple bushes and deer away from looking like I Am Legend.

I mean most of Spain is a creepy ghetto now but at least you're still in a beautiful country. I imagine Detroit looks...grey.
Its hard to say. Would you do that openly in the DT Eastside? From my trip there, anything outside of a few pockets of blocks in downtown (near the GM building), it was sketchy as hell. I'd imagine it might be better during the day.

At night though, when we were driving lost in a not so great part of town (which we all agreed after that it was all parts of it), we honestly did not feel safe stopped at a redlight because the streets were empty save for some homeless dudes on the sidewalk gawking at you guys.
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #35
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

no big surprise tbh... detroit is noted as the worst place to live in murica.
aphextwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #36
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
That's crazy ... I don't know much about the city itself because I'm never been there and my knowledge is pretty much limited to their sports teams ... but when you see a team like the Red Wings and their championship pedigree, the tickets for games must be dirt cheap?
The city can't be THAT bad?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #37

I have friends in Windsor and we travel to Detroit quite often.. it is not as bad as people are describing here. I doubt many of the posters here have been to Michigan.. other than watching 8 mile.

One thing you have to adjust is the East Coast scale.. everything is an urban sprawl. Downtown will be empty in the evenings. Yes real estate is cheap, but even in Detroit.. location location location, more so because the place is so large, the city will abandon sections of it, which means some land value will never rise. There are surprisingly strong hipster presence in Detroit especially for creative / engineering types.

As for carrying a DSLR.. you are not the only one with a DSLR.. the rule is don't gawk, be observant and travel in groups apply.. you see something interesting, walk around a few times before you take the picture.

What can Detroit offer? easy and cheap entrance to med school or pretty much any post grad education.

As with any renew/ gentrification / renaissance it will take time. In fact I see more potential and diversity there than "lets trade real estate and spend rest of the day on the beach" Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Last edited by godwin; 07-18-2013 at 11:04 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
That's crazy ... I don't know much about the city itself because I'm never been there and my knowledge is pretty much limited to their sports teams ... but when you see a team like the Red Wings and their championship pedigree, the tickets for games must be dirt cheap?
The city can't be THAT bad?
Most people that attend the games are from the burbs which are not shit holes like Detroit.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #39
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
From 2 million people to 700, 000 people. <----close to population of Vancouver at around 680,000 (8th largest city in Canada).

Detroit (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

They just need more Asians..............
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
My god guys, its still a functioning city. Obsideon, Ronin and a few others making out like its Hollywood movie time and the buildings are falling down crumbling at your feet.

People still live there.

That's the downtown. It doesn't look that different than ours. Those offices are occupied as far as I know, by the way.

There are some shithole parts. No kidding. Even "everything is brand new in Vancouver" Vancouver has the DTES. And we're supposed to be trendy megalopolis here.

Detroit has some issues, and once they sort that out: a) purge debt and legacy costs b) ditch a horribly bad electoral slate c) focus on areas of growth.

They will be a centrally located, well serviced by major transportation at the center of the largest economy in America, industrially focused city with cheap land. If their respective higher levels of government would get their shit together and actually give a shit about manufacturing, then they'd be looking great.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Detroit is crazy - apparently, people are buying up properties for $500. Just land with an old dilapidated building on it. It will be worth more sometime later.

Apparently 40% of their streetlamps are burnt out/broken.
You can actually buy land/property there for $1.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #42
I am grateful grapefruit

Someone posted this on reddit in light of the Detroit Bankruptcy...

Old 07-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
nooooooot so fast!

Judge orders Detroit to withdraw bankruptcy filing - Jul. 19, 2013
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #44
I subscribe to Revscene

U.S. aid to Israel totals $233.7 billion over six decades (60 years) .....Headline from Haaretz (Isreali news)
It currently pays 3 billion a year.

Rather then spend American tax payer monies on settling Anglo Europeans in Isreal and making enemies with the rest of the world, they should move all Isrealis to Detroit and funnel that money back into America. Thank me if you dont agree.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #45
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
Thank me if you dont agree.

Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #46
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
CharlesInCharge
Spoiler!
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #47
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
U.S. aid to Israel totals $233.7 billion over six decades (60 years) .....Headline from Haaretz (Isreali news)

Rather then spend American tax payer monies on settling Anglo Europeans in Isreal and making enemies with the rest of the world, they should move all Isrealis to Detroit and funnel that money back into America. Thank me if you dont agree.
I think this is the most legit thing you have ever said
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #48

The most important lesson we learn about Detroit that is applicable to Canadians.. PENSIONS! That's basically what brought them down. Their pension gap is just too big to mend.

I find it interesting to contrast with Australians whom their pensions are tied to their real estate holdings... their real estate valuations are higher than Vancouver level. As a corollary, if pensioners have an active stake in participate eg their real estate holdings.. they seem to do okay.. vs waiting for the meal to come like pension.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #49
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:

WOW. Did I just agree with CharlesInCharge? Is up now down? Sky is green?

I don't get how the US spends so much on foreign aid when there are STILL parts of New Orleans in ruins.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #50
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
^^Buying love?

Srs...why else would people stay on the americans side? loyalty? no man...money.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: