REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Buying a USED Lens - What to look for

Hi All,

I am wondering if there is anyone on here who can chime in about buying a used lens and could comment if there is anything in particular to look for. I am planning to pick up a Nikon 55-200 Af-S VR f4-5.6 lens specifically.

Hope this hasn't been discussed before as I used the search function before posting. Thanks.
Advertisement
AndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
a) fungus
b) oil on blades (not likely on this lens tho)
c) physical damage

Bring a small flashlight with you, shine light through other end and look inside for fungus, major scratches and dust. do not look directly into the light

There will be dust for sure because of the plastic construction, these should not affect image quality unless its a huge chunk.

There's a tab on the mount, flick it while looking inside; the aperture should open and close smoothly and blades align together. Run the zoom and focus a few times to test for smooth operation.

If possible, bring a camera to do some test shots. Take pictures of a everything and zoom in and out in your lcd to see for weird marks.

Do ALOT of research on market pricing and have fun.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #3

Thank you,

I had no idea that fungus should be something to generally look out for. Will update later.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
^never know
brings a lens from hk without proper storage during fall... fungus galore

but if you see a strand, u can bring down the price on a noob seller

Spoiler!

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

also another big factor to look for is that the lens focus properly. ie not front/back focusing. Bring a camera to test
Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #6

So I picked up the 55-200mm. Seller bought in October 2011 and only used it once with a filter on. Brought a flashlight to check for fungus and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. No oil on the aperture blades either. Thanks yray and J____ for chiming in!