REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Do you not believe rape is a form of torture is cruel inhuman degrading ans is used as a form of punishment?
Nope, bad shit happens all the time, some people might not be able to deal with all the fucked up shit that this world has to offer, but life's too short to give a fuck what's happened already. Degrading is subjective.

It could be used as a form of punishment, but this case, it wasn't.
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #27
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

How far down that list do you have to go before finding one that UAE DOES adhere to?
LOL, good point. but that's not the one I was trying to make.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #28
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
not saying I don't agree with you here, but how can you call a culture wrong? it's simply different. the world is amazing and beautiful because there are so many different cultures that are so unlike our own! how boring would it be if everyone everywhere held the same beliefs?? experiencing different cultures is not always pleasant, but that's why it's so great

it's like if I came from a polygamous society to Canada and called it ass-backwards because everyone only has one wife. People from different places have different beliefs and traditions. Visitors have to respect that culture and not force their own beliefs on local tradition.

the only thing wrong here is the lack of acceptance of any culture that does not align with our own

once again, i do sympathize for the rape victim... but she's in the UAE and not Norway, and that's how it is there
FUCK that. No. Culture is not an excuse to be wrong. When a woman is raped and she is the one blamed, that is wrong anywhere. If your culture declares that right, that is fucked. Polygamy, unlike rape, isn't naturally harmful to anyone.

Think about what you are saying is okay. This has nothing to do with the fact that it was a foreigner. If that woman was a local, it probably would've been a worse result.

If every culture allowed women the right to vote, education and justice, then the world would probably be pretty fucking amazing rather than boring. If your culture or religion says it's okay for a victim of rape to go to jail for no reason other than because their culture says so, that culture or religion is wrong. We aren't talking about animals or aliens...we're talking about people that are basically us except they're a different color and talk funny.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
She was pardoned:

Dubai ruler pardons Norwegian woman convicted after she reported rape - CNN.com

Looks like going to the mass media worked.

I always find this "rape" topic interesting on RS. There is a very small minority on this site that believes that under no circumstance is the victim to blame. The amount of alcohol ir irrelevant, clothing the victim wore, the ratio of sexes, how dark the room was, etc....This is the side of the fence I sit on.

The other side claims that "rape is disgusting" "blah blah blah" and then follows that statement with "BUT". It was done in this thread and sadly enough, it is done in every thread that discusses rape.

Ex: Victim was raped...so horrible...rape is bad....BUT she should have known the rules in that country.

Ex: She had a co-worker walk her back to the hotel room because she was no familiar with the neighbourhood....BUT she should have been alone or asked someone else.

Ex. Victim was drunk....BUT she should have been sober.

Some of you guys who read about these rapes need to take the "BUT" out...rape is never ok. Rape is never the fault of the victim. Rape is never a 80/20 or 60/40 blame game.

You know what happens when people start to think like this? Even just a little bit? You end up with law that blame the victim for "enticing" the rapist.....as seen in the UAE laws.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
She was pardoned:

I always find this "rape" topic interesting on RS. There is a very small minority on this site that believes that under no circumstance is the victim to blame. The amount of alcohol ir irrelevant, clothing the victim wore, the ratio of sexes, how dark the room was, etc....This is the side of the fence I sit on.

The other side claims that "rape is disgusting" "blah blah blah" and then follows that statement with "BUT". It was done in this thread and sadly enough, it is done in every thread that discusses rape.

Ex: Victim was raped...so horrible...rape is bad....BUT she should have known the rules in that country.

Ex: She had a co-worker walk her back to the hotel room because she was no familiar with the neighbourhood....BUT she should have been alone or asked someone else.

Some of you guys who read about these rapes need to take the "BUT" out...rape is never ok. Rape is never the fault of the victim. Rape is never a 80/20 or 60/40 blame game.

You know what happens when people start to think like this? Even just a little bit? You end up with law that blame the victim for "enticing" the rapist.....as seen in the UAE laws.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
Banned By Establishment

ya well...its kinda what I do, isn't it??
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

I wouldn't walk into a favella in brasil if my life depended on it.

You're right. Rape is never ok. What if the woman wants to get "raped" as a fantasy... is that OK? like I mean... say a husband comes home, wears a mask, and stuff like that. Of course, this is all planned out before. uhh. OT I guess.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
She was pardoned:

Thank you.

Skinny's correct, this is a can of worms on RS.

It's a can of worms that should be opened though, because conversations on rape on RS are always riddled with "but..."

No, "but...," will ever be valid or acceptable.

And RS is not an anomaly, most male dominated conversations are riddled with "but..."

Which is precisely why in Canada 1/3 women are raped in their lifetimes, because those types of conversations do validate it and make it acceptable to some men.

Only 6% of rapes are reported, which is the only reason why people think it's uncommon.

Last edited by MindBomber; 07-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!

Whats the % of rape commited by dudes they know?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #35
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Whats the % of rape commited by dudes they know?
90% in the UK, according to a 2013 study.

I imagine Canada is comparable.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
All people are potential victims, regardless of gender, age, race, religion, sexual orientation, education or physical description.

One of every 17 Canadian women is raped at some point in her life

A woman is sexually assaulted by forced intercourse every 17 minutes in Canada

Girls and young women between the ages of 15-24 are the most likely victims

80% of assaults happen in the victim's home

70% of rapes are committed by a perpetrator who knows the victims (relative, friend, neighbour, colleague, or other acquaintance)

Approximately one half of all rapes occur on dates

62% of victims are physically injured in the attack; 9% are beaten severely or disfigured

Statistics Canada has found that one in four girls and one in eight boys have been sexually abused by the time they are eighteen
Source: Source: Justice Institute of British Columbia

via

Statistics of Sexual Assault in Canada - Rape Victims Support Network

Also: In 2009 in Canada, women self-reported 472,000 sexual assaults, according to Statistics Canada.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
HELP ME PLS!!!

So, rapes would be reduced by 70% if victims stopped talking to people. That is, before they become victims.

All joking aside.

Rapists should get the punishment of becoming euniches, women... uh... i don't know the equivalent of that.

What would it take to make rape dissappear? As far as I know, a rapist is one of the lowest pieces of shit and often when people find out, there's a lynching to be had...

What else can be done?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #38
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't walk into a favella in brasil if my life depended on it.

You're right. Rape is never ok. What if the woman wants to get "raped" as a fantasy... is that OK? like I mean... say a husband comes home, wears a mask, and stuff like that. Of course, this is all planned out before. uhh. OT I guess.
That's not rape. That's just consensual fantasy. That's what safe words are for, stupid.

"Scherbatsky".

Quote:
So, rapes would be reduced by 70% if victims stopped talking to people. That is, before they become victims.

All joking aside.

Rapists should get the punishment of becoming euniches, women... uh... i don't know the equivalent of that.

What would it take to make rape dissappear? As far as I know, a rapist is one of the lowest pieces of shit and often when people find out, there's a lynching to be had...

What else can be done?
Put them in jail. Even other criminals hate rapists.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #39
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Put them in jail. Even other criminals hate rapists.
Does that still hold true today? Today's criminals seem more aggressive and colder than in the past.

Decades ago, my aunt worked in a UK prison as a teacher for inmates enrolled in courses. Someone tried to make fun of her during class and the other inmates lynched him for it. Apparently, back then, rapists, wife beaters and child molestors weren't looked upon kindly by inmates there. A man's code?
butter_sashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #40
I don't get it

Let's just put it this way.

A lot of the inmates have wives and children that they may never see again.

If a sexual offender enters the prison, the inmates think, "I'm cut off from my own kids and this guy is going around hurting them?" It can push them over the edge.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote