REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

ICBC total loss settlement

Long story short. Got hit by a red light runner in Richmond and car is deemed a total loss. Estimated repairs were around $7000.

I'm not at fault so ICBC gave me a rental car to use. Anyways, I was wondering when I need to return the rental car if I do not accept their initial settlement offer (10.5k + Tax) as the ICBC estimator told me to return the car as soon as I go in to retrieve my personal belongings.

Also, if any of you guys have gone through the process of negotiating with ICBC what are some tips and advice you guys have?
Advertisement
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Long story short, you are not giving us enough details.. are you with ICBC for 3rd party? Are you a roadstar? etc

Loss of Use only covers up to $750.. once that's up.. you have to cough up the rest. You don't have to return it, but you will have to pay for the difference.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
it would probably help to mention what you lost...and how much they offer and than how much you think you should be paid (maybe provide some ads as you will also provide it to them when you fight for how much you want , if thats what you do )

as the guy above me said..you're giving like NO details lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I think 10.5K + tax is pretty generous...

remember, in ICBC's eyes your mods don't raise the value of the car.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
The one thing that helps is find comparable adds on craigslist, kijjiji, auto trader etc. with the exact same make, model, mileage, options of your car and see if they are selling for more than $10.5 if so send them to your adjuster.

Also if you did any recent maintenance such as replace tires you can add those receipts in as well.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Long story short, you are not giving us enough details.. are you with ICBC for 3rd party? Are you a roadstar? etc

Loss of Use only covers up to $750.. once that's up.. you have to cough up the rest. You don't have to return it, but you will have to pay for the difference.
I have loss of use and 3rd party from ICBC. Had the rental since July 2nd @ 30$ a day. So if I do not accept their offer do I still get to keep the rental since it's under $750?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #7

Check your fine print of your loss of use.. it is either to a limit. Mine is $750.. (some lower).. or until the repair or settlement is reached. 18*30.. that's = 540.

Check your own terms and conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee.Tee.Ar View Post
I have loss of use and 3rd party from ICBC. Had the rental since July 2nd @ 30$ a day. So if I do not accept their offer do I still get to keep the rental since it's under $750?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #8

Maintenance unless the parts are really new like 2 weeks ago, they will ignore. They will mark it under wear and tear, at best they will pro rate them. That's honestly grasping at straws, and I think for all parts / upgrades etc you get more $ from removing them and resell them.

Don't get the guy's hopes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
The one thing that helps is find comparable adds on craigslist, kijjiji, auto trader etc. with the exact same make, model, mileage, options of your car and see if they are selling for more than $10.5 if so send them to your adjuster.

Also if you did any recent maintenance such as replace tires you can add those receipts in as well.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Maintenance unless the parts are really new like 2 weeks ago, they will ignore. They will mark it under wear and tear, at best they will pro rate it. Don't get the guys hopes up.
Speaking from personal experience tires that were 8 months old got us an extra $500.00

Might not apply to every case but it's worth it to try if applicable.

also OP what are the specs of the car?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
it would probably help to mention what you lost...and how much they offer and than how much you think you should be paid (maybe provide some ads as you will also provide it to them when you fight for how much you want , if thats what you do )

as the guy above me said..you're giving like NO details lol

Settlement wise, I guess I'm pretty screwed unless I can swap out the mods. Pretty extensive list of mods (HKS coilovers, BBK, lightweight rims, ti exhaust, OS giken clutch, LSD, bride zetas, harness, defi gauges etc) on a high mileage engine with stock internals. Checked CL and prices range from 10-15k with mine being the highest in mileage but probably the cleanest in condition. Thing is I'm not mechanically inclined so I would have to pay for a shop to swap it and I probably wouldn't get much more $ out of it considering I don't have the stock parts.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I believe anything you swap out has to be done on their storage site, ie you can't have the car towed to a shop and have them pull the parts off. And you also have to replace whatever you swap out, you can't expect them to give you a payout on a complete car when its sitting on bricks with no interior and missing drivetrain parts.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
I'll buy the seats depending on condition.
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
ya you gotta take everything out there. when my lude was totalled i went with a friend and he helped me take out most of my custom sound system as it was pretty high end stuff ( http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/IMG_1416.jpg ) and i had to take everything out there with the guy being a dick cus it was taking a while lol but maybe see if you can show them some ads and ask for alittle bit more? by the looks youre shy 1-2k from what you should be getting (from what you seem to want), if not take what they give you, which isnt too far off, and buy the car back and take stuff out and sell

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
ya you gotta take everything out there. when my lude was totalled i went with a friend and he helped me take out most of my custom sound system as it was pretty high end stuff ( http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/IMG_1416.jpg ) and i had to take everything out there with the guy being a dick cus it was taking a while lol but maybe see if you can show them some ads and ask for alittle bit more? by the looks youre shy 1-2k from what you should be getting (from what you seem to want), if not take what they give you, which isnt too far off, and buy the car back and take stuff out and sell
Yeah, what I was thinking was that my car with all the mods in it and good condition it's in will definitely fetch more compared to some random high mileage r32 when they auction it out to salvagers. Hope they see that point. Just want 1-2k more with minimal trouble.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
If it were up to me, I'd advise them that since I'm getting compensated for a car in stock form, I'd want to remove my aftermarket parts and replace them with stock parts.

If you're not capable of doing this and it's too much trouble/cost to get a shop to do it for you, maybe your only choice is to try to get 11k from ICBC and call it a day.

BTW, what wheels are on it? lol .... trade + cash if I like them.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Post pics of seats. I got some stock civic seats if you want to throw those in the gtr and sell the zetas
Old 07-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Hey I went through this recently and negotiated a fair settlement for my car with ICBC, then negotiated a fair pain and suffering settlement. I did not hire a lawyer for either settlement. Please feel free to pm me if you would like additional help. Good luck!
Posted via RS Mobile
frotes_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I've got a mustang engine if you want to swap it in the gtr
Posted via RS Mobile
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
whoa whoa whoa... GTR? R32? 33? DO tell!

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #20

I believe you only have a couple days after the total loss $ is written up/printed, to return your rental back.

That was the situation with me. It's sort of ICBC's way to further pressure you into taking the cheque since you now have no rental & no car in general.

The advice here already is pretty solid.

1. You typically need 3 cases of exact car, model, year.
If this doesn't help your case, then your best bet is to not take the cheque yet/sign over the salvage release (giving ICBC the authority claim to your vehicle).

This scenario is if you don't want to take the parts out, if ICBC doesn't give you fair value.

a. You remove parts put in stock parts. Take the cheque and be done with it. Shit happens in life, don't fret over the roadblocks. And sell the parts.

b. You accept the cheque, buy back the vehicle, part it out, trying to further increase your pockets. Since 7000, likely frame damage here maybe, so too much of a headache to get it rebuilt maybe.

Part 2: Any injuries? You may want to lawyer up. The lawyers that are sponsoring revscene here are nice guys, I spoke with one of them and he gave me great advice but I didn't retain counsel.

Hindsight, I should have.

Misc Advice:

I recommend calling, be courteous, yet confident. Emailing doesn't pressure anyone, a strong voice says it all and takes up more time. If your total loss adjuster isn't helping you much, you can always contact their manager.

Last edited by subordinate; 07-20-2013 at 11:38 PM.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
b. You accept the cheque, buy back the vehicle, part it out, trying to further increase your pockets. Since 7000, likely frame damage here maybe, so too much of a headache to get it rebuilt maybe.
Curious, how much would it cost to buy back from ICBC in such cases?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #22

ICBC will tell you the buy back figure.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Last time I wanted to swap the wheels and tires on my car that was a write off, they told me that it had to be done by someone bonded such as a tow truck driver. My other option was to have it towed out of the yard to wherever I would have the swap done and I would have to pay for the tow out and back.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #24
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
ICBC will tell you the buy back figure.
I believe it used to be 25% of the settlement amount, or something around there. Not sure if it has changed or not
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I believe it used to be 25% of the settlement amount, or something around there. Not sure if it has changed or not
A lot less in my situation. I think its case by case.