REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Shoulder injury... not sure where to go

So for the past month and a half i've been experiencing pain on this muscle on my right shoulder blade. If i don't move, i won't ever feel the pain but when i move my right arm at certain angles, the muscle will start hurting like hell.

Some types of movements which hurt for me at the moment:

bench press, shoulder press, fist pumping (lol), reaching for the car stereo to change tracks, punching outwards

I had been visiting this chinese guy who practices deep tissue massage. What he does is he'll massage the hell out of the injured spot for about 30 minutes... i went for about 6 sessions and so far it still hasn't healed. It had worked before for my other injuries but this time the pain does not seem to go away.

Where should I go fix my shoulder?? I was able to google up my physiotherapy clinics in van but i'd like to get recommendations from RS

Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
with muscle/tendon issues its best to immobilize it

i had a 3rd degree separation and dislocation in my shoulder, couldnt move it for about 3 months and even now still have issues when trying workouts and moving shoulder in certain angles.

my advice, get a sling and give your shoulder a few days to relax, you could have strained the muscle, tendon or something else and it just needs time to heal. if the pain stops then get back on the weights but lower weight and higher rep!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

^That and physiotherapy. I went to one session and they gave me a list of exercises that I could do with rubber tubing in a door or on cable machines with super light weights. It may be a rotator cuff issue, but it's best to have at least a physio look at it and give you exercises you can do at home or in the gym.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

I just had surgery on my shoulder to correct a tear to the labrum, the cartilage that provides passive stabilization to the ball of the arm. I injured it 14 months prior to my surgery and had been doing physio in the months leading up to it. It never settled down after months of physio.

Speaking from experience, I suggest you see a physio for their opinion on what's wrong. First few months of diligent physio are essential. It is also important to visit a doc and get an xray/ultrasound/mri referral - these take a while to get and if your injury does not settle down with 4-5 months, these images will be important for further referrals to an orthopedic surgeon. I am very active, and although the injury was not giving me constant pain, it was enough to reduce the quality of my life that I could justify the downtime from surgery. YMMV for sure.

I recommend seeing Allan mcgavin sports med centre in yaletown. I am seeing one of their physios at the moment.
chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I don't have any recommendations for you (well, apart from the Physiotherapists in the Langley Sports Arena... they're fantastic, but probably too far for you to drive), but I will suggest you look after it ASAP. I injured my shoulder after a car accident about 12 years ago and never dealt with it. It's now at the point where certain movements are severely limited and I have limited strength at a couple angles. It sucks and I wish I was more proactive when I was younger about dealing with injuries.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Pinched nerve? My pops had one of those and had similar symptons. Just something to consider
Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
I had been visiting this chinese guy who practices deep tissue massage. What he does is he'll massage the hell out of the injured spot for about 30 minutes... i went for about 6 sessions and so far it still hasn't healed. It had worked before for my other injuries but this time the pain does not seem to go away.

Where should I go fix my shoulder?? I was able to google up my physiotherapy clinics in van but i'd like to get recommendations from RS
I'd recommend Kelvin Tam Physiotherapy:

Kelvin Physiotherapy Clinic - Fairview Slopes - Vancouver, BC

This guy really knows his stuff, and unlike most typical physiotherapists that only rely on equipment to treat his patients, he likes to do it with his hands. It's very, very effective, but boy, does it ever hurt like hell while he is doing it. The only downside to seeing him is that his rates are kind of expensive.

On a different note, can you give me the contact for your deep tissue massage Chinese guy? Does he only treat injuries? or does he do general deep tissue massages in general? And how much does he charge per session?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd recommend Kelvin Tam Physiotherapy:

Kelvin Physiotherapy Clinic - Fairview Slopes - Vancouver, BC

This guy really knows his stuff, and unlike most typical physiotherapists that only rely on equipment to treat his patients, he likes to do it with his hands. It's very, very effective, but boy, does it ever hurt like hell while he is doing it. The only downside to seeing him is that his rates are kind of expensive.

On a different note, can you give me the contact for your deep tissue massage Chinese guy? Does he only treat injuries? or does he do general deep tissue massages in general? And how much does he charge per session?
just general deep tissue massages. they really work, but unfortunately it hasn't for my current problem so i'm looking at a second opinion. prepare yourself for one of the most painful experiences of your life though. depending on how injured your muscle is, it can HURT.

he charges 35 per half hour, and i only could do half hour sessions because sometimes the pain was too unbearable

i'll PM you his number when i can i find it
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
keep up with your deep tissue massages, i am in the same boat as you and i know dem feels..
mine still havent healed yet but is doing a LOT better, i kept up with physio for about half a year, went to those massages once a week, and ALWAYS stretch for like 30 mins, doing little movements at a time for my shoulder
it sucks, but i hope you can get over this horrible pain... gl and hopefully ull fistpump ur way out of this
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Check to see if you have painful arc syndrome. Just youtube it and there are some simple exercises/stretches to see if its serious. If so, go see someone in orthopaedics.

I injured my left shoulder from basketball about 6 months ago and was extremely painful just lifting my arm. Finally decided to see a doc and got an MRI a month ago. Torn tendon and shoulder bone that's hooking down causing scraping of the shoulder and arm when lifted. Got surgery done about 10 days ago and is feeling much better. Its stiff when stretched certain ways but at least the pain is gone and the range of movement is much better.

Advice is, go see a doc asap. I could possibly have prevented doing surgery if I received therapy or treatment earlier. Now $20k cdn down the drain. btw I live in HK.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

How long did you wait for your MRI?
The waitlist is pretty ruthless unless your doc is in the "in" crowd. Aka. Elite.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
How long did you wait for your MRI?
The waitlist is pretty ruthless unless your doc is in the "in" crowd. Aka. Elite.
maybe 2-3 days. Mind you, i'm in HK.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #13

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
gws brah