REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Got rear ended and windshield cracked. Will windshield be covered?

Got rear ended in North Van the other day and the other guy is letting his insurance pay for it.

There was a rock chip in the vehicle before the incident, and the impact turned the small chip into a pretty big crack that's growing (mind you he didn't hit me very hard).

Will the insurance cover the rear bumper as well as the glass in front?
Advertisement
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

insurance will cover the rear bumper, the crack in the windshield......good luck.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Ask whoever is evaluating your car for the repairs. You could tell him that happened because of it, and he will either let you know if icbc will accept that claim or not. Some ppl claim things that were there before an accident occurred and it'll get covered. Guess it depends where you go? Lol but the worst they can say is no.. And maybe don't mention there was a chip? Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Existing damage, doubtful they'll repair it, even if a new accident exacerbates the issue. If you claim it got damaged during the accident, they'll comb over your car for frame and structural deformation as that would be the only way an accident of your nature could cause a windshield to crack. When they find none, they'll decline the windshield repair.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
nma
#RVG

try it why not, say u got u rear ended and ur windshield cracked, let them do the investigating...
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

So I called in for the claim today and I was honest. Told the guy there was already a chip and the accident turned it into a crack. He said I would have to pay a deductible for it separately, so basically he said no.

Thanks for the input guys. Getting my car fixed at the RS sponsor by the way. Victor is great.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Would ICBC fix previous damage on the same panel? For example if I get an minor dent from someone, would ICBC fix previous damage such as door dings on the same panel?
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

No, but Ive had a bodyshop do discounted work on a panel that was being repaired on a claim before.

Basically I had a fender that got damaged and needed to be repainted, and I paid a little bit extra for them to remove a dent at the same time. It was all legit too, on the paperwork.

It was a lot less than the quote I had for doing the work originally, because a large portion of it was the labour for removing the fender, which was covered by the claim.

Worth asking your bodyshop about, and it'd probably be best if you let them know that you wanted it on the up and up, not under the table if you want them to cooperate. Shops are under a lot more scrutiny these days from ICBC and they'll often get real defensive real fast when they're asked to do anything shady.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

^ Old damage will be left alone. So they will fix whatever is the claim and leave the door ding. At this point you might want to pay the bodyshop to fix the dent and painted all together.
Posted via RS Mobile
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
Would ICBC fix previous damage on the same panel? For example if I get an minor dent from someone, would ICBC fix previous damage such as door dings on the same panel?
if the shop is nice they will fix it as long as is within the repair area because if not they will have to blend into the next panel, unless its a bumper( in this case most shops will fix everything for you as a customer service act)
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
I am Hook'd on RS

I'll let you know in a couple of days if Grand Performance Auto (RS sponsor) will fix the little ding I have on my bumper or not. The ding is above the damage on the bumper. I would imagine they'll fix it since the entire bumper is going to be repainted. When the guy was checking out my car (not Victor), he asked me if the little ding was from before and I said yes. So I dunno...

I got a 2011 Nissan Versa. I looked it up, it's got a whole 107 HP!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #12

if they dont fix it then tell them you will give them a bad score when icbc calls you

also i talked to my coworker(estimator) and he said your windshield wouldnt be covered because of a light impact. ( it would take a huge hit to crack the windshield)
Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

^ not sure if serious
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
if they dont fix it then tell them you will give them a bad score when icbc calls you

also i talked to my coworker(estimator) and he said your windshield wouldnt be covered because of a light impact. ( it would take a huge hit to crack the windshield)
not true mang, my friend had a small chip/crack, closed the door of his car and it cracked about 1 foot across. depends on how much stress is in the area of the chip/crack
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #15

your correct snails but the OP got rear ended... so the impact would have to drive all the way up to the front glass in order for it to crack.

as for VR6GTI i am jking lol, just ask the shop to fix it... it should be a simple fix.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
I am Hook'd on RS

Nah, I'd actually be really surprised if the little ding isn't fixed. I mean, its pretty minor anyway. Even if they just repaint the bumper without any further work, the damage probably won't even be visible.

Yeah I guess glass can be pretty sensitive sometimes.

Tip for you guys out there: get your rock chips filled in. I had that rock chip in my windshield for really long now, and I didn't do anything about it. The chip probably wouldn't have turned into a crack if I paid like 50 bucks to get it filled. Now I have 500 dollar deductible to pay because someone else hit me
Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #17

isnt windshield claim 200?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
isnt windshield claim 200?
It'd be part of comprehensive right? so what ever the deductible on that would be.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
I am Hook'd on RS

My comprehensive deductible is 500. From now on, I'll always go with a 300 deductible comprehensive (200 glass). Things happen pretty easily.... On a side note... Someone stole my side mirror the other day. And then a couple of days later, someone egged it... Different places though, so I don't think anyones out to get me.