REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Suits (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686958-suits.html)

ShadowBun 08-04-2013 12:15 AM

Suits

Hey guys

I have a upcoming big graduate school interview that's pretty important for me.
Therefore, I am looking to get a set of new suit. :badpokerface:

Anyone got any suggestions? More or less will be my first set of suits.
No idea what's a good place/price.

As I am 6'3 (long arms) and relatively fit, when I tried on a few in Sears and the Bay, they don't fit well.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated!
I took a look @ previous threads. In particular, I don't feel too confident measuring myself and ordering online (i.e. indochino)

TIA

Marshall Placid 08-04-2013 01:38 AM

Harry Rosen Pacific Centre.

Whole range of prices.

If it is a one-time thing, get a Calvin Klein.

----------

Or, get a custom tailored one for about $500.

ShadowBun 08-04-2013 12:13 PM

^ custom tailored is only $500?
where?

Mr.HappySilp 08-04-2013 02:01 PM

It all depends on your field of work later on. See for me, my work place is pretty casual (T-shirt, jeans, flop flops) are all ok so there is no point in wearing a suit at all. Also in my field suit is not really require so I just got a cheapy $200 suit.

I think I wear my suit less than 5 time sin the last 7years? mostly to friends wedding only. So if your career field don't require you to wear suits I suggest something cheap.

Also if you are in your early 20's I also advice getting a cheap suit because as you age your body will change in size (I mean shape) Maybe you work out a lot so you will be more buff, or if you clack off your will gain fat. You will have to get a new suit in a few years or less so save your money get something cheap for now.

EDIT: Not sure what grad school interview you are going but I think most of the time as long as your suit is clean and fits that's all they care about. i would think your GPA, your interview skills, how you present yourself would be a much more important factor than wearing a $200 suit vs a $1000+ suit.

unit 08-04-2013 03:53 PM

have you tried long suit sizes? like a 40L or something?
if its a grad suit, i probably wouldnt shop at the bay, since it will look like a bay suit.
maybe try zara or banana or something on the cheap end of fashionable, and get it tailored.

ShadowBun 08-04-2013 03:56 PM

It is for medical school interview.

Yea, no way I am going with a >$1000 suit. But still I want to look for a good one still as I will be wearing it for the upcoming years. I don't have a single suit or dress shirt at the moment that fits.

Hmm so as long as it feel and look alright, should be fine.
How much $ should I spend then?
I doubt I should buy these $100 suits in Metrotown

edit
came back from Banana, a regular looking suit and pants (their 'tailored' one) will cost me $600+tax, almost $700 :ahwow: and I still would have to tailor it..
I haven't tried Zara yet, will check it out this week!

StylinRed 08-04-2013 04:41 PM

just go to dunn's wide range of prices and suits

ShadowBun 08-04-2013 05:02 PM

^ this?
Dunn's Tailors - Downtown - Vancouver, BC

GLOW 08-04-2013 08:26 PM

if you're going to check out zara might as well check out H&M too. comparable prices and 'trendy' styles as well. i was looking for a 1 time use suit and went to zara and ended up picking up a simple black one from H&M for a little over a hundred. zara had some nice looking jackets when i was there but they cost double H&M's than the H&M one.

ShadowBun 08-04-2013 08:53 PM

Alright

Still curious about the custom tailored road.
Anyone got any inputs?

Marshall Placid 08-04-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowBun (Post 8294939)
Alright

Anyone got any inputs?

It depends on the tailor if you really want it to fit right and the price really varies...

Google

flagella 08-04-2013 10:32 PM

What is your budget? Please stay away from cheap places like H&M, Le Chateau, etc. It's pretty easy to tell the quality of those suits just by the look of it. You don't need $1,000+ suits but I'd recommend at least getting BR ones.

I don't see why anyone would shun The Bay. The one in downtown has amazing selections. I got my Hugo Boss suit for a little under $1,000 (there's a first time sign up discount, I forgot it was 10 or 15%). Also you can find cheaper ones like DKNY, which is pretty good.

Energy 08-04-2013 10:40 PM

With your build, you should have no problem finding an off the rack suit and having it tailored properly.

Off-topic but good luck with your interview! If its for the med school at UBC I heard that the MMI interviews are a pain.

ShadowBun 08-04-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid (Post 8294992)
It depends on the tailor if you really want it to fit right and the price really varies...

Google

I did that first before making this thread lol
However, basically first suit and really inexperienced with tailors :badpokerface:
Don't want to get raped. Asking since I have a little time - interview in mid Sept.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 8294999)
With your build, you should have no problem finding an off the rack suit and having it tailored properly.

Off-topic but good luck with your interview! If its for the med school at UBC I heard that the MMI interviews are a pain.

Cheers mate
Just started my bulking for workout, so I am also a little worried if I am getting the suit too early (and outgrow it when the interview is here in Sept.)
Hmm went to Moore today and it would cost me almost $500 to get it tailored, tax in. Is that good price? It's Moore's house brand too :okay:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagella (Post 8294993)
What is your budget? Please stay away from cheap places like H&M, Le Chateau, etc. It's pretty easy to tell the quality of those suits just by the look of it. You don't need $1,000+ suits but I'd recommend at least getting BR ones.

I don't see why anyone would shun The Bay. The one in downtown has amazing selections. I got my Hugo Boss suit for a little under $1,000 (there's a first time sign up discount, I forgot it was 10 or 15%). Also you can find cheaper ones like DKNY, which is pretty good.

Budget: under $700, tax in preferably.
Hmm I went to the one in Metrotown, maybe that's why it wasn't good. I will add it to my list when I check out Harry Rosen.

cctw 08-04-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowBun (Post 8294939)
Alright

Anyone got any inputs?

saw groupon deals for $350 before.

and....HK LOL...$150CAD custom tailored

Marshall Placid 08-04-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowBun (Post 8295018)

Budget: under $700, tax in preferably.
Hmm I went to the one in Metrotown, maybe that's why it wasn't good. I will add it to my list when I check out Harry Rosen.

What makes Harry Rosen stand out... is the service.

Much better than the Bay, and not pushy like Moores.

When you were at Moores, did they try to sell you the dress shirts aggressively?

The dress shirts there are priced at least 40% more than at the Bay.

ShadowBun 08-04-2013 11:54 PM

Person at Moores tried to sell me everything lol
Moment I told him I'll think about it, his face went from :) to :rukidding:

unit 08-05-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cctw (Post 8295037)
and....HK LOL...$150CAD custom tailored

from my understanding they can get a lot more expensive if you choose a good tailor.
my friend got his wedding suit for about $500, but it was nice fabrics and very well made.
you can go on the low end for $150 but not all custom tailors there do great jobs.
im happy to pay $500 for a well made, great fitting suit. i'll be getting one this winter.

ShadowBun 08-05-2013 01:19 PM

Will definitely swing by HK when I go back in the spring then.
Got any recommendations for good quality tailors?

Will report back how it goes w/ the suit on Tuesday or Wed!

StylinRed 08-05-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowBun (Post 8294825)

whoops

sorry yes them they used to have stores all over but just a few now i guess

their customer service was always top notch when i used to go to them

and wide range of suits and knowledgeable guys

cctw 08-05-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowBun (Post 8295234)
Will definitely swing by HK when I go back in the spring then.
Got any recommendations for good quality tailors?

Will report back how it goes w/ the suit on Tuesday or Wed!

I went to a tailor in central. You should probably ask around as these shops are hard to find. They're like in half empty ghetto buildings on the 4th floor.

Be prepared it takes about a month to get the suit made though. They produce a sample for you to try first before they make the final suit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 8295147)
from my understanding they can get a lot more expensive if you choose a good tailor.
my friend got his wedding suit for about $500, but it was nice fabrics and very well made.
you can go on the low end for $150 but not all custom tailors there do great jobs.
im happy to pay $500 for a well made, great fitting suit. i'll be getting one this winter.

Well I'm not too familiar with the tailors in HK, but the one I went too have been making it for over 40 years and I see quite a few Caucasians that work in Central go get their suits done too.
Though its only $150 CAD, the quality is already much better than what you get at Moores.
I was debating whether to get a custom trench coat made too..those only costs about $180CAD as well

TurboTalon 08-05-2013 08:14 PM

I also recommend Dunn's, owner is a buddy of mine.

ShadowBun 08-12-2013 04:35 PM

Sorry guys for the late update

Been busy.

Anyways, went to Dunn's, Holt, HR and the Bay
Damn no sale at all and it's pretty hard to find anything that's under $700 for Dunn's, HR, Holt or the Bay (at least in my size).

I guess BR or Tiptop is my only choice?

P.S. I am 44L and 36. Quite a weird combo

StylinRed 08-12-2013 07:52 PM

you could always buy online, send your measurements to a tailor but you wouldn't be able to feel the fabric etc :/

maybe a place like Custom Shirts, Tailored Shirts, Dress Shirts | Modern Tailor Custom Tailored Suits and Shirts
couple ppl on rs have recommended them iirc

i've no experience with them though but you can get a suit for $300 and they're made in shanghai apparently and you can get your item in 8 days

ShadowBun 08-12-2013 08:52 PM

O man that's cheap for a made to measure. However, there's always this doubt about wrong measurements.
Hmm, gonna look into this. Cheers

For physical stores, what about club monaco?