REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
If you live in surrey it costs you $9 to get to vancouver! Doesn't take a math genius to figure out how much is left to have "fun"
that wasn't the point of this.
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I was just thinking the same thing!

Also, what happens if he wasn't here on a Tuesday? And why was there a need to spend almost $4 on A beer when that is almost 1/2 the budget? Was that shitty beer on the DTES really worth it?

Comparatively:
London: Top 10 Free Things to Do in London
Rome: 10 Free things to do in Rome - TripAdvisor
Bangkok: Top Ten Free Things To Do In Bangkok | Top Ten Free Things to Do
Melbourne: Top ten free things to do in Melbourne - Travelodge Hotels
Tokyo: 20 free things to do in Tokyo - travel tips and articles - Lonely Planet
New York: 40 free things to do in New York City - travel tips and articles - Lonely Planet

Some are better than others....I think we could use a few more "few" things to do BUT I don't think the writer truly utilized Vancouver's "free" experiences.
Spending $4 on a cheap domestic in the DTES is definitely not worth it. I see that decision as a reflection of the odd absence of effort the writer put into the experiment.

I read through the comparative links, and although Rome's notably amazing, I don't see London, New York, and the others as markedly greater than Vancouver. Yes, London and New York individually have a couple more cool "free" experiences, but that's all. Which is interesting given that their populations are exponentially larger, but i digress.

The "free" and inexpensive experiences seem quite similar across every city. They consist of parks, public markets, museums, and art galleries. Well, Vancouver's parks are beautiful and perfectly enjoyable in light rain (Stanley Park, along with various seawalls and beaches); Vancouver's markets are interesting and culturally very diverse (night markets, farmers markets, Granville Island Public Market, River Market at New Westminster Quay); Vancouver's museums are good overall, and sometimes world class (Burnaby Museum, Vancouver Maritime Museum, MOA at UBC); and Vancouver's art galleries are a reflection of our great art scene, which is world class (VAG, CAG, Reach). I'm not taking the numerous "free" cultural events into consideration, but they count.

Find none of that interesting? You can spend very little and see a Lion's game ($25), Giant's game ($19), or White Cap ($20) if you like sports. You can also spend relatively little and see a great concert.

Vancouverites (I'm referring to all Lower Mainland residents) are stubbornly narcissistic. It's as though people rather prove Vancouver's impossible to enjoy on a budget than the alternative, which would obviously be the advantageous outcome. I'm probably going to get failed for saying that, though.

Last edited by MindBomber; 08-07-2013 at 07:32 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Vancouverites (I'm referring to all Lower Mainland residents) are stubbornly narcissistic. It's as though people rather prove Vancouver's impossible to enjoy on a budget than the alternative, which would obviously be the advantageous outcome. I'm probably going to get failed for saying that, though.
not gonna fail you at all, me and my gf try to do budgets all the time. at the start of summer we were both taking 100$ each, and it would last us the week (gas included). half the time at the end of the week we'd still have 50$ left each while we were out and about every day of the week.

its easy to do, theres a large park near my house within a 2 minute walk, play pass lacrosse, pass with a baseball, football, play 21, bocce, Frisbee. go to wreck beach/outdoor pool(4$ to get in or something) tan and swim there, go to a park set up a blanket pack some sandwiches and salads and bottled waters, bring a deck of cards the chess board checker pieces and a crib board and sit there for hours having a mini picnic...weekend nights instead of going out and getting drunk or eating out, we had several mini potluck diners with friends while having a games night...we'd play cranium...monopoly...trivial pursuit etc...that shits free...you make a pasta salad or something, have 4-5 friends come over with stuff and bam! you got yourself a free night with tons of fun with friends. to many people don't find that fun though...to a lot, fun involves going to a restaurant and drinking wine and beer with friends while showing off the new Gucci shirt they just bought.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
go to espot on a busy day & play some sf, spent 50cent & hope u dont lose

u still get 9.50 by the end of the night if u dont lose, great way to spent $10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
1. fill gas 10 bucks.
2. drive 30-40km
3. call tow truck
4. blame rs.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I can't even take transit from White Rock to Vancouver roundtrip for $10
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Spending $4 on a cheap domestic in the DTES is definitely not worth it. I see that decision as a reflection of the odd absence of effort the writer put into the experiment.

I read through the comparative links, and although Rome's notably amazing, I don't see London, New York, and the others as markedly greater than Vancouver. Yes, London and New York individually have a couple more cool "free" experiences, but that's all. Which is interesting given that their populations are exponentially larger, but i digress.

The "free" and inexpensive experiences seem quite similar across every city. They consist of parks, public markets, museums, and art galleries. Well, Vancouver's parks are beautiful and perfectly enjoyable in light rain (Stanley Park, along with various seawalls and beaches); Vancouver's markets are interesting and culturally very diverse (night markets, farmers markets, Granville Island Public Market, River Market at New Westminster Quay); Vancouver's museums are good overall, and sometimes world class (Burnaby Museum, Vancouver Maritime Museum, MOA at UBC); and Vancouver's art galleries are a reflection of our great art scene, which is world class (VAG, CAG, Reach). I'm not taking the numerous "free" cultural events into consideration, but they count.

Find none of that interesting? You can spend very little and see a Lion's game ($25), Giant's game ($19), or White Cap ($20) if you like sports. You can also spend relatively little and see a great concert.

I was going list Vancouver's free list, but got distracted with something else...but here are some that I found:

25 Free Things to Do in Vancouver

Top 10 Free Things to Do in Vancouver - Find Free Things to Do in Vancouver

Yes, the overlap and YES, "celebrity hunting" is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have read as a "free" tourist activity but the items are similar to those in New York, etc.

I will disagree with you in regards to London as the one list I posted lumped ideas together. The free museums alone could last almost 2 weeks of entertainment and they are, imo, mindblowing! Although free admission to the VMM is neat....free admission to the Natural History Museum of London is out of this world. As is The British Museum and Victoria and Albert.

Grid and I take full advantage of free things to do locally (especially in New West) as he is srsly the cheapest person I have ever met, lol. I am disappointed this writer did a pretty piss-poor job of really exploring Vancouver (and the Lower Mainland) for free. The first thing I thought when he went to Grouse was, "why not go to Lynn Canyon?".
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #33
Banned By Establishment

Another "free" suggestion if people are looking for something to do:

Steveston Village, Britannia Shipyards, Murakami House & Garden, Chinese Bunkhouses, and London Farm.

Grid and I walked around there one evening and even when everything is "closed" is was beautiful! There is an awesome path where you can walk to all of them.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #34

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a horrible idea
i know right...? 10$ weed.. haha!

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
go to espot on a busy day & play some sf, spent 50cent & hope u dont lose

u still get 9.50 by the end of the night if u dont lose, great way to spent $10
I last the whole day with $1 there

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #36

Festivals & Events in Vancouver: August 2013

For anyone who's interested...saw this site "boredinvancouver.com" on a pole while waiting outside a restaurant on Dunbar st

They've a full list of random things to check out...things to do when it rains etc...good site
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Lets see how many fun things you can do in Vancouver for $10 in the winter when it's raining out
40 days up at mt seymour/$320 bucks for an earlybird seasons pass = 8 bucks a day.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #38

was on the site I just posted. was looking days in advance....

Thank-you for your support! | White Spot

Wednesday, adult pirate pak day

ill be there
Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #39
RS controls my life!

If you can make it to a costco for food $1.50 for a hot dog and drink with refill
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #40
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
that wasn't the point of this.
it could be since OP meant it for us GVRD folk as well... Most tourists that come for holiday are not all that price sensitive..

Quote:
Semi-interesting, enjoyable article.

I thought some RS'ers may enjoy it, since people have often asked for free/cheap Vancouver activity suggestions. Although, these ones are pretty obvious.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #41
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
$10 a day is possible to have fun is possible.

But because he had to find a place to stay, he proved himself wrong.

Given you have to eat 2 - 3 times a day, $10 will get you there. All other means of activity must be free or paid for by a friend or stranger.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #42

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
I last the whole day with $1 there
so i guess u only lost once

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #43
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurochevy View Post
If you can make it to a costco for food $1.50 for a hot dog and drink with refill
+ fries =

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #44
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
^ too bad they decreased the amount of fries :T

used to be the sht
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #45
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I barely ever think about money when I'm on vacation. You can earn money when you get home. Not having as good a time as you can when you've spent the time and money to get somewhere else seems like a waste. I'm not a massive spender but I'll go to good restaurants and do fun shit when I'm in a foreign city.

That being said, there isn't any way you're having fun with $10 a day in any city in any first world country...let alone one of the most expensive cities on the planet. Want to have fun for $10 a day? Go to Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe or South America.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #46
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
thats why they should increase our wages. instead of working like a slave
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #47
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
lol... If you only can afford to spend $10 a night when you go out to have fun, better stay in and have fun at home instead.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #48
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
lol... If you only can afford to spend $10 a night when you go out to have fun, better stay in and have fun at home instead.
Pretty much the story of my life.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #49
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
It depends. If is a work day I can live with less than $10 but on holida might be a bit tough. For those that say you can, have you factor in gas(after all if you are driving you need gas which is about 1.42/L), insurance for your car, food (even if you make your own breakfast, lunch, dinner you did buy the gecorices before so you need to factor that into the equation as well).

Put all that into the equation and you will notice with $10 you most likely already spend over half of that on gas, insurance for car and food even if you make them at home.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #50
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
You can barely get a value meal at McDonald's for $10. Why on earth would anyone think they can do anything for $10? Hippies.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote