REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Insurance paper

Hi recently got a bike and it doesn't have any storage. Is it acceptable if make a copy of my insurance paper and resize it to wallet size?

Or if I can snap the info on my phone.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
I don't get it

I believe you need to carry your original registration document at all times when you use your bike. This would be the same for a car, photocopies are not accepted.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
N8
I STILL don't get it

It'll probably help to at least have a snapshot of it in case you get pulled, but like above, better to be safe than sorry. Fold it up?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
what kind of bike? i used to ride a gsxr with a GP tail so there was no storage bin and i ended up putting it inside the ziploc pouch from the insurance agency and taping it to the inside of the battery box.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 09-08-2013 at 11:38 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

its only one paper, why not just fold up the original and keep it in your pocket or wallet. if it gets damage icbc replaces it for free as long as you still have it... but if you lose its thats 18 bucks
iKayChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Ziploc baggie under the seat
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

What kind of bike do you have? Even if you slide it right beside your battery, its better than nothing.

I know some insurance places will shrink down the size for you so you can fit it in a smaller area, while still being printed on their official paper...
Blayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

just fold it up and put it on the little compartment under the back seat. some insurance agencies provide pouches for motorcycles.

my crapbucket

*ding* *ding* *ding* ...breast milk...you make my day-ee-yay!
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
i just have it folded up in a ziploc and keep it in my jacket
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
ya, ive been just fold the original up and keep it in my wallet...

i have no storage space at all... not even under the seat

harley 883 that is
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i called icbc about scanning your insurance and the person that i talked to said that if you do get pulled over and you have a scanned paper, you have like less than an hour to go home and get the original document for proof. i'm guessing the cops would have to follow you home? regardless, i photocopied my insurance papers anyways LOL
kev1n9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
That is absolutely a nonsense answer and should not ever be repeated, even on the internet, as fact. There are no official policies that give you less than an hour to produce a true document. You are technically required to have an original copy of the ICBC documents with the proper date stamp, however, as the unlucky recipient of several tickets over the years with photocopied insurance info (worked for car dealership), that was never an issue.

Mark
Old 09-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

I'm not sure why you're even required to produce physical papers anymore when the officer can just look up the insurance info by keying in your plate.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #14
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
insurance company always makes a photo copy of my insurance papers with a template that blocks out just my address.

was told to keep these in the car, and originals at home in case the car DOES get stolen or broken into.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
ya, ive been just fold the original up and keep it in my wallet...

i have no storage space at all... not even under the seat

harley 883 that is
in that case get it laminated. i used clear packing tape. this was back when i used to fold it up in my wallet, but without laminating it got ratty very fast and when i finally had to take it out it was not readable and the rcmp constable gave me a warning that he could have written me up for no insurance papers.

what is it like these days? it's been almost 10 years since i last owned a bike. i remember back then they were really coming after riders because there were too many unlicensed riders on the roads or riding with a temporary permit without supervision or expired. they would look at my license for a class 6, then my insurance papers to match the vin, and finally the license to see if it actually was for the bike (i used to know someone who would use the plate from his registered R6 on his not-so-legal R6 stunt bike so he could ride the latter on the street when he felt like it... never got caught).
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote