REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   CNN: Weed (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687208-cnn-weed.html)

$_$ 08-12-2013 09:35 AM

CNN: Weed

Thoughts?

jeedee 08-12-2013 09:39 AM

thanks for the cliffs OP

$_$ 08-12-2013 09:46 AM

Cliff Notes:

CNN documentary by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanjay_Gupta - a Neurosurgeon and CNN's doctor personality about medical and recreational use of marijuana.

Quote:

From 1997 to 1998, he served as one of fifteen White House Fellows, primarily as an advisor to Hillary Clinton. In January 2009, it was reported that Gupta was offered the position of Surgeon General of the United States in the Obama administration,[1] but he withdrew his name from consideration.[4] In January 2011, he was named "one of the 10 most influential celebrities" by Forbes magazine.
The documentary marked his reversal on his stance on medicinal marijuana, which he said previously had no medicinal value at all. This is being hailed as one of the more high profile pro-cannabis documentary as it was shown during prime time and targeted towards the older generation. Most would consider this another step towards eventual decriminalization and legalization.

Sid Vicious 08-12-2013 09:53 AM

@ work so vid is blocked, is he advocating using marijuana for purely medicinal purposes, or for recreational use as well?

melloman 08-12-2013 09:54 AM

Found it interesting how they put an age on this subject.

Supposedly 16 is the key age where they find that mental brain growth calms tremendously.. Because they kept pointing out that no one should smoke before the age of 16 or it will hinder brain stimulation later on in life. Yet right after they mention this, they always must say that "there are no conclusive details."

murd0c 08-12-2013 09:55 AM

Prohibition never works and it's good to see that people are starting to understand that marijuana isn't this so called gateway drug. It's sad when the US goverment has weed worse then Cocaine.

hotshot1 08-12-2013 11:39 AM

^^ I think it is a gateway drug in that when you realize the bullshit "drugs are bad" nonsense is just wrong after you smoke/eat pot without any repercussions, then you might think other drugs might not be as bad... drugs like meth and heroine, which are absolutely harmful.

The thing that's important is having everyone more educated.

melloman 08-12-2013 01:13 PM

^^ I can agree that it can be considered a gateway drug, yet this has its own invisible line.

Being educated is definitely a good thing when it comes to any type of drug, be it illegal like weed, or pharmaceutical like Oxy or Ritalin. These can also be considered gateway drugs as they have addictive properties to them.
The only reason I could consider weed a gateway drug, would be to people who don't understand the affects. They tend to smoke more and more consistently, then decide the high is just not sufficient enough. So they move to something like crack, or meth thinking they won't get addicted.

The video though does bring a nice light to how weed can be used for medical treatments. And not so much smoking, but vaping, or extracting the CBD's from a plant, to generate a liquid so it has no "harmful" effects.

CharlesInCharge 08-12-2013 01:34 PM

There are Harvard studies and ZioAmerican patented treatments with Marijuana but curing people is not profitable... do your own research as doctors (made to follow strict guidelines or lose their license) are not always working for the peoples best interest and are at times even against it.

Yodamaster 08-12-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotshot1 (Post 8299075)
^^ I think it is a gateway drug in that when you realize the bullshit "drugs are bad" nonsense is just wrong after you smoke/eat pot without any repercussions, then you might think other drugs might not be as bad... drugs like meth and heroine, which are absolutely harmful.

The thing that's important is having everyone more educated.

I fail to see why someone would think that way, there is a clear distinction between hard drugs and marijuana in terms of toxicity and harm to the human body. You would have to be incredibly uneducated to make such a link as a user of Marijuana, unless you believed the government bullshit.

Every one of these national/international discussions further emphasizes that difference, in fact you might consider it the education you speak of. The kind of "education" that could possibly lead to using hard drugs after marijuana are films such as "reefer madness" that I was subjected to in high school.

We are potentially doing more harm than good by telling our young that marijuana is as harmful as cocaine and heroin. We might be making it easier for people to take the next step up, since "marijuana is as bad or worse than cocaine or heroin", so how bad can it be? We are afraid of that which we do not know, and shrinking that gap makes it easier to take the leap across.

People die everyday from cigarette and alcohol consumption, whether it's direct or indirect, and yet the government is taking it's sweet time with a plant that nobody has died from to date.

Ulic Qel-Droma 08-12-2013 01:56 PM

most people are stupid, so they'll do stupid things, like consume things without doing serious research.

Manic! 08-12-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8299158)
There are Harvard studies and ZioAmerican patented treatments with Marijuana but curing people is not profitable... do your own research as doctors (made to follow strict guidelines or lose their license) are not always working for the peoples best interest and are at times even against it.

Did you even watch the documentary?

CharlesInCharge 08-12-2013 02:01 PM

I skimmed thorough it, got teary eyed with the little girls recovery... and hate the system even more now :p Why?

Manic! 08-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8299177)
I skimmed thorough it, got teary eyed with the little girls recovery... and hate the system even more now :p Why?

Because you sound like an idiot. Watch the whole thing before speaking.

CharlesInCharge 08-12-2013 02:53 PM

I dont care to watch it now, what I said still stands, refute it if your intellects allows you to challenge me with out called me names.

Manic! 08-12-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8299217)
I dont care to watch it now, what I said still stands, refute it if your intellects allows you to challenge me with out called me names.

I did not call you an idiot I said you sounded like an idiot, big difference.

murd0c 08-12-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8299217)

If you don't care to watch it then shut the fuck up

CharlesInCharge 08-12-2013 03:18 PM

I have history and facts on my side... sheeple can believe whatever they want with this CNN video.

Manic! 08-12-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8299234)
I have history and facts on my side... sheeple can believe whatever they want with this CNN video.

What if CNN agrees with you?

CharlesInCharge 08-12-2013 03:24 PM

I still stand by my post in this thread, the 9th one. Did CNN discuss the past and present coverup of these natural cures and who is behind it? I highly doubt it.

Manic! 08-12-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8299237)
I still stand by my post in this thread, the 9th one. Did CNN discuss the past and present coverup of these natural cures and who is behind it? I highly doubt it.

Well you could be wrong but you will never know because you have a bias towards CNN.

Hondaracer 08-12-2013 03:36 PM

back on track here..

me and some friends were having a discussion on legalization, the question arose to if and when Weed became legal in BC, what % of people would try or smoke occasionally who did not before because it was not fully legal?

i said under 15%

FiveDime 08-12-2013 03:59 PM

CNN did a good job at de mything the medical side of marijuana.
Where did this stigma with marijuana come in the first place?

I suggest everyone watches this

The fact that marijuana is a class 1 drug is the biggest injustice in our society with the easiest fix. legalization.
More lives are effected by the war on drugs than the actual drugs themselves.

asahai69 08-12-2013 04:27 PM

Phil@rise 08-12-2013 04:31 PM

All drugs have the potential for bad outcomes. Theres no such thing as a free ride but thats why we have science, medicine and doctors. There's no reason why government should be stepping in to halt or control that. The control, dispersing, application etc should be up to the medical professionals and real results should not be ignored.