REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
It seemed that way to me, too. The site says it's 20% cheaper this year... Yeah, right!

Actually, they are correct. Pulled this from the PNE 2012 Thread:
Maybe they dropped the prices slightly this year but it seems like it's been going up every year.
Advertisement
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
well... definitely doing:

Aug 27 - Foreigner
Sept 2 - Loverboy

good bands with a lot of classic rock from the 80s.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Oh, don't forget free parking on Hastings Street across from the PNE at 6:00 pm sharp. Nobody can park there until 6:00 pm (HOV rush hour). You hang out somewhere close by and time it - too early and the cops will ticket you. Too late and all the Asians will have taken the spots before the second hand comes full around. I haven't done this for a few years, because I go early in the mornings. Has anyone on RS done this recently? The signs still say "No Parking" until 6:00 pm. Confirmed this yesterday.

As for free day, just get your hand stamped between the hours of 11 am and 1 pm and come back later in the day.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Went yesterday.

Got the Gate Pass from 7-11 for $14.00.
Parking across the street at the corner of Renfrew/Hastings was $20.00, but if you go South 1 street on Renfrew there's a school with parking for $10.00. (Or go to someones backyard for $6 )

Ribfest is there, giving out delicious samples.

Missed out on "Sportacular" because of rain so it was cancelled. Otherwise got to see the Superdogs and had ALOT of food.

Not all game boothes were open yet, but they decided to open up atleast 8 dart/balloon pop boothes...
Hey! You drive a silver mazda 3 with purple wheels right? I was working in the lot you parked in haha, nice car I saw you wacking your front bumper with your fist like a boss. Yea, we dropped the parking to $10 dollars because it was pretty dead that day
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

even after 10 years, it still felt like i was going to fly off the seat of the wooden roller-coaster.... is that part of the experience? They need the corkscrew harnesses.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

PNE's been a bust so far. I live around the area, and barely any cars are fighting for free parking along the residential streets, which seems to be getting worse yearly. I'd say this year is the worst so far (hasn't been difficult to find free parking around my neighborhood). I anticipate that it will pick up during the long weekend, but still, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to move or shut down within 10 years.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #32

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
Hey! You drive a silver mazda 3 with purple wheels right? I was working in the lot you parked in haha, nice car I saw you wacking your front bumper with your fist like a boss. Yea, we dropped the parking to $10 dollars because it was pretty dead that day
Thats cuz I dragged my front bumper the night before and fucked up the fender/bumper alignment.

Fixed it last night tho

And thanks
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it

Last edited by melloman; 08-20-2013 at 06:53 AM.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #33
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
PNE's been a bust so far. I live around the area, and barely any cars are fighting for free parking along the residential streets, which seems to be getting worse yearly. I'd say this year is the worst so far (hasn't been difficult to find free parking around my neighborhood). I anticipate that it will pick up during the long weekend, but still, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to move or shut down within 10 years.
They are going to be expanding towards the race track over the next few years, doubt a move is in the cards
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #34

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Well, as I argued earlier, the public's appetite for traditional fairs is waning when there are alternatives that offer more at next to nothing such as the night markets, food truck festivals, etc. Even if the PNE were to lower admission to say $5, I would argue people still wouldn't go.

On the other hand, the PNE has other sources of revenue such as the raacetrack, Playland, and the Colliseum so the site itself will not go anywhere.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #35

Lol I'll pay $20 to get into the PNE over a free night market

Went to Richmond one for the first time in like 6 years this year and left after 20 minutes
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #36
MG1

^That's 5 minutes longer than me, LOL. Told the wife and kids, "I'm sleeping in the car. Take your time."

Only got 10 minutes sleep.........

Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #37

People on this thread have been loyal visitors of the PNE and old habits die hard.

Look at Metro Vancouver's demographics: more Mainland Chinese, more Filipinos, more temporary residents from Latin America. Country fairs like the PNE don't appeal to the latest set of immigrants. It may seem ludicrous to some here, but people from other parts of the world don't know who Foreigner or Colin James are and would rather eat lamb skewers than a mediocre burger from Jimmy's Lunch.

With that said, I'll be at the PNE this Friday to watch the Beach Boys with my bag of mini doughnuts.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #38

If i was to go this saturday, will there be residential spots available to park at? And how much is parking at the lot?
hiGh_RollA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #39
MG1

I went yesterday morning and got my hand stamped. In and out in less than three minutes. Did a variation of ol' Chinese fire switch, so no parking needed, LOL. Went back at 5:55 pm and got choice of 20 or so free parking spots along Hastings across from the main entrance. I was going to wait until 6:00 pm sharp, but got a little nervous and jumped the gun. When I got there, five or so cars were already parked. Couldn't believe I was the first Asian there. So much for that theory.

I've been going to PNE forever and this has got to be the worst one yet. The place was not well attended. So sad. Like a good Asian, I took my Hellevator cup with me. Not too many of the original ones could be spotted.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #40
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I went yesterday morning and got my hand stamped. In and out in less than three minutes. Did a variation of ol' Chinese fire switch, so no parking needed, LOL. Went back at 5:55 pm and got choice of 20 or so free parking spots along Hastings across from the main entrance. I was going to wait until 6:00 pm sharp, but got a little nervous and jumped the gun. When I got there, five or so cars were already parked. Couldn't believe I was the first Asian there. So much for that theory.

I've been going to PNE forever and this has got to be the worst one yet. The place was not well attended. So sad. Like a good Asian, I took my Hellevator cup with me. Not too many of the original ones could be spotted.
I read it on the news that they will be closing 2 of the Mondays during the fair this year to save cost.........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #41
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I read it on the news that they will be closing 2 of the Mondays during the fair this year to save cost.........
Yup, was posted earlier. Sign O' The Times.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #42
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
parking was $16 at the fair which if i recall correctly was a price drop from previous years which i think was around $25?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #43
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

Really? I thought it was pretty busy, I just made it in at 1pm and left at about 9pm. Most of the shows were full.

Genghis Khan exhibit is an extra $3. Worth it if you're into learning more about the history and want to see some relics from back in the day. Unfortunately no photos allowed inside. There will be a couple lines where you can get your photos taken by them...you can just bypass them if you're not interested as you have to purchase the photo for either $15/$20 (can't remember the price).
VrrM604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #44

I'd be curious to see the breakdown in stats for the visitors, in terms of age brackets.

With less marriages, more one kid families, it's only sensible that with less families = less attendance at the PNE.

Myself, I could care less really about the PNE. Same rides, attractions, but just different Bands and maybe a new exhibit. & overpriced food/beer garden, same garbage stuffed animals that ly around the house collecting dust.

Like MG1 said, time's are changin'

Maybe the PNE should include stripper poles and high performance go-karts/track & paint ball matches.

subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #45

I hadn't been in like 5-6 years before last year and when I attended last year I thought it was great! Lots to see and do good options for food and drinks

I guess people who go every year grow tired of the same thing every year but ill definitely be going at some point
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
I'd be curious to see the breakdown in stats for the visitors, in terms of age brackets.

With less marriages, more one kid families, it's only sensible that with less families = less attendance at the PNE.

Myself, I could care less really about the PNE. Same rides, attractions, but just different Bands and maybe a new exhibit. & overpriced food/beer garden, same garbage stuffed animals that ly around the house collecting dust.
There are still many multiple children families in Metro Vancouver, but they're mainly ethnic. The PNE really offers nothing for newer immigrants. The PNE's bread-and-butter demographic is now too far away (Langley, Abbotsford, etc.)

Families west of the Fraser are a bit more sophisticated. Instead of serving crap at the beer garden, maybe they should partner with microbreweries and have a craft beer fest? Or maybe bring in some cheese vendors and wineries?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #47
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Just bought my PNE prize home tickets!!! can't dream if ya don't play!!!
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #48
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
the Genghis Khan exhibit was the only thing I really found new and interesting this year at PNE.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #49

Do the Promo Codes not work anymore? I tried buying online but theres no where to input the promo codes
hiGh_RollA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #50
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Just got back from a random, spur of the moment, Wednesday night trip to the PNE. Rolled in around 7pm. The low attendance is very noticeable. I thought the attendance was kind of weak, my friend who dropped his kids off at home and came back for some adult festivities in the evening said the daytime was even slower.

Honestly, there is nothing at the fair that grabs my attention. (besides the jailbait running around. ) The only things I really wanted were donuts and wiggle chips. At the end of it all, I think I really paid $16 admission to walk in an area that sells my yearly "PNE goods." I agree, i'd rather be at the PNE than some nightmarket. But with $7 hotdogs, $5 pizza and $8 mac and cheese, the same old shammwows, herbal oils and magic brooms. (which I have, all from last year) I feel like not much has changed and the locals are catching on.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote