REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   PNE 2013 (August 17 - September 2) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687243-pne-2013-august-17-september-2-a.html)

Presto 08-13-2013 11:17 AM

PNE 2013 (August 17 - September 2)

http://www.pne.ca/thefair/images/201...-logo-2013.png

It starts this weekend!

We're definitely going earlier this year. It was super-crowded during the last
weekend in 2012.

Anyone have any hookups for discounted tickets, yet? Regular price is $16 per person or $14, if you order online.

shawnly1000 08-13-2013 11:45 AM

Thursday, August 29 is Vancity Member Day at The Fair at the PNE!

Vancity members and one guest receive a discounted admission of only $5 per person
($9 savings on each ticket!)

https://www.vancity.com/AboutVancity/Events/pne/

Tuesday, August 20: FREE Gate Admission

From 11am–1pm on August 20, everyone gets through the gates for FREE!
Presented by Port Metro Vancouver

Wednesday, August 21: Wild Ride Wednesday - NEW

From 11am-1pm on August 21, receive 2 Ride Passes for the price of 1 valid for the whole day!*

Mr.HappySilp 08-13-2013 12:20 PM

PNE have been jacking up its price every year...... There is not much to see every year is pretty much the same thing.

Senna4ever 08-13-2013 12:23 PM

Have they gotten rid of the free admission before 12pm on opening day?

Too bad that hole in the fence that used to be there when I was a kid doesn't exist anymore. :(

KingDeeCee 08-13-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 8299859)
Have they gotten rid of the free admission before 12pm on opening day?

Too bad that hole in the fence that used to be there when I was a kid doesn't exist anymore. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnly1000 (Post 8299835)
Tuesday, August 20: FREE Gate Admission

From 11am–1pm on August 20, everyone gets through the gates for FREE!
Presented by Port Metro Vancouver

Lol, this is way better for me. Have work on Saturday :P

I still think PNE is worth it. I'm pretty sure they've been adding new shows every year. At least the Family Feud one last year. That show is HALARIOUS!

pastarocket 08-13-2013 12:38 PM

Here's a bonus code for a $5.00 discount for PNE admission: wxt25xnv.

You can thank the federal government for the hookup. :)

Gnomes 08-13-2013 12:46 PM

Here's another one courtesy of endless saving card. $4 off fair gate.

Coren 08-13-2013 03:32 PM

The PNE is closed on Monday Aug 19th and Monday Aug 26th. They say the Mondays are the slowest days. They should just lower the admission prices on those days to boost attendance instead

Tapioca 08-13-2013 03:47 PM

The concert lineup is pretty decent this year if you are on old-timer. My only reason to go would be for those mini-doughnuts and at least they still have that $5 deal after 9 PM to get my fix.

However, the PNE has been dying a slow death for years. The Richmond Night Market is slowly entering its territory by offering a better variety of food and midway games for the kids.

Even if the PNE were to lower its gate price to $5, it would still lose money or have to make up that money by charging its vendors more. People just aren't into fairs like they used to be: people have more sophisticated tastes when it comes to food, the stuff they sell at fairs can be bought online or through other channels, and the rides are cheesy.
Posted via RS Mobile

Vansterdam 08-13-2013 04:06 PM

craving dat PNE BBQ. :sweetjesus:

Not really racist! 08-13-2013 04:38 PM

complimentary tickets ftw!
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 08-13-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8300011)
craving dat PNE BBQ. :sweetjesus:

wanna get baked and go munch :drunk:

keifun 08-13-2013 04:49 PM

same stuff year after year. Overpriced food.

But I still go because I get a free ticket every year, might as well waste some time there.

Tim Budong 08-13-2013 04:54 PM

That is all.. She's great live

http://www.venturemag.co.uk/wp-conte.../01/lights.jpg

Hondaracer 08-13-2013 05:00 PM

Lights was the only act that interested me

Also last year the BBQ was a huge disappointment in what I tried, even Memphis blues would have been like 2-3 steps up on it

Oh well, fun to just walk around have some drinks
Posted via RS Mobile

truth 08-13-2013 07:22 PM

pumped for big wreck!

BBMme 08-13-2013 07:59 PM

Don't know why, but the mini donuts taste so much better during the PNE haha
Posted via RS Mobile

Yodamaster 08-13-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8299995)
Even if the PNE were to lower its gate price to $5, it would still lose money or have to make up that money by charging its vendors more. People just aren't into fairs like they used to be: people have more sophisticated tastes when it comes to food, the stuff they sell at fairs can be bought online or through other channels, and the rides are cheesy.
Posted via RS Mobile

It's not that people aren't into it, it's that the PNE is pretty lame as far as fairs/theme parks go. Only one of the rollercoasters is worth riding, and half of the park is geared towards children. Part of this is because of the land size being restrictive for what is considered a real "ride" nowadays.

Bring a Six Flags to the lower mainland with the same hardcore rollercoasters and rides, and it'd be a different story entirely.

dangonay 08-13-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8300035)
Lights was the only act that interested me

Also last year the BBQ was a huge disappointment in what I tried, even Memphis blues would have been like 2-3 steps up on it

Oh well, fun to just walk around have some drinks
Posted via RS Mobile

I tried a rack of ribs from one place and they were excellent (better than Memphis). So good I hope they bring it back.

Vansterdam 08-14-2013 01:41 AM

really depends which bbq you go to and which type of meat since there's like 5+ different places
Posted via RS Mobile

quasi 08-14-2013 05:49 AM

Every year (since I've had kids) I say that was just alright I'll pass next year but I keep going back. I'll be there August 30th if the weathers good, I haven't taken any holidays yet this year so might as well.

My enjoyment comes from spending time with my family and seeing the look on their faces as they have a good time, not from the PNE itself.

MG1 08-14-2013 11:51 AM

Free admission on Tuesday from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.

Two hour window of opportunity, LOL. I'mma gonna line up early.

Earlier on, I was going to post, "No free, no go........."

When are these people gonna learn the Asian way of doing business? Offer free and thousands will come. You don't think they are not going to buy shit? That's the day I go and buy all kinds of shit at the buildings.

Asian way.......... sell 10, 000 items with $1.00 profit on each piece. Western way............ sell 100 items with $10.00 profit each. No wonder shit's the way it is over here.

dinosaur 08-19-2013 09:45 AM

FYI

PNE and Playland closed on Mondays ? August 19 and 26 - BC | Globalnews.ca

Quote:

If you are planning on heading to The Fair at the PNE or Playland today, save yourself a trip – they are both closed.

Both The Fair and Playland are closed for two Mondays – August 19 and 26 – in an effort to save money and pass those savings on to the attendees.

This year, admission has gone down from $20 to $16, and children under 13 get in free. Onsite parking has also been cut from $20 to $16.

It has taken some people by surprise however, as many expected Playland to be open today. However, during The Fair it becomes part of the footprint of the whole event, so that is why it is also closed.

You will be able to get into The Fair for free from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday. The Fair will be open on Labour Day, September 2.

Some took to social media to express their disappointment that both attractions are closed today.

Presto 08-19-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8299855)
PNE have been jacking up its price every year......

It seemed that way to me, too. The site says it's 20% cheaper this year... Yeah, right!

Actually, they are correct. Pulled this from the PNE 2012 Thread:
http://i.imgur.com/iZ8YD.png

melloman 08-19-2013 10:37 AM

Went yesterday.

Got the Gate Pass from 7-11 for $14.00.
Parking across the street at the corner of Renfrew/Hastings was $20.00, but if you go South 1 street on Renfrew there's a school with parking for $10.00. (Or go to someones backyard for $6 :heckno: )

Ribfest is there, giving out delicious samples.

Missed out on "Sportacular" because of rain so it was cancelled. Otherwise got to see the Superdogs and had ALOT of food.

Not all game boothes were open yet, but they decided to open up atleast 8 dart/balloon pop boothes... :rukidding: