REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Licence plate lamp

I upgraded my dim OEM licence plate LED's to aftermarket LED's and they seem excessively bright. Just wanted to confirm whether or not if it is illegal to have licence plate lamps that shine so bright at the licence plate that even the floor is somewhat lit up?

When it says to the rear of the vehicle, does that mean directly towards the driver behind you? Or does it mean you can't illuminate anything else but the licence plate?

Licence plate lamp
4.16 (1) The rear licence plate of a vehicle must be illuminated by a lamp that is capable of displaying only white light so that the numbers on the licence plate are legible from a distance of 15 m to the rear of the vehicle.

(2) The lamp required by subsection (1)
(a) must illuminate whenever the headlamps or parking lamps are illuminated, and
(b) must not project white light to the rear of the vehicle.
Advertisement
wonton1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Never heard of anyone getting pulled over for too bright of a licence plate light, or getting a VI for it. Usually its when they make them a different colour like blue or red this happens.

Even if you do get a VI its the easiest thing to fix, so just leave them and see what happens. I mean their already in there.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

That section you (OP) highlighted basically states that you can have the light shining up, down, left or right BUT NOT towards the car behind you.

You can't have any part of the bulb visible from the rear because if it was visible, it would be projecting light backwards.
Posted via RS Mobile
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
When it says to the rear of the vehicle, does that mean directly towards the driver behind you? Or does it mean you can't illuminate anything else but the licence plate?

Licence plate lamp
4.16 (1) The rear licence plate of a vehicle must be illuminated by a lamp that is capable of displaying only white light so that the numbers on the licence plate are legible from a distance of 15 m to the rear of the vehicle.

(2) The lamp required by subsection (1)
(a) must illuminate whenever the headlamps or parking lamps are illuminated, and
(b) must not project white light to the rear of the vehicle.

That is correct, the light must realistically only illuminate the license plate. Light bleed a) looks stupid and b) can be hazardous to following motorists. Someone standing 15 meters behind your vehicle must be able to read the plate number (and letters).

Really though regardless of that it doesn't comply with 4.02 anyways:

(1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.
(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.
(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with
(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

If an officer has difficulty reading your plate as a result of glare from the bulb being too bright I can certainly see you being pulled over (maybe not for that specifically but every questionable mod on a vehicle contributes negatively to an officer's determination of whether or not to pursue you as opposed to someone else).
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #5

Just blocked off 2/3 of the LED's on each side, still very bright but atleast it doesn't look like HID's are shining on my licence plate.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Mind if I ask what kind of aftermarket LED's you're using that are so bright?
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinC View Post
Mind if I ask what kind of aftermarket LED's you're using that are so bright?
I'm using these BMW HPB License Plate LED Light Upgrade Modules
Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
It is interesting why people enhance the lights that display their licence plate. Even for esthetic reasons, isn't it only causing Police to direct more attention to your vehicle/plate number? It is screaming "Run my plate for checks!"
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
It is interesting why people enhance the lights that display their licence plate. Even for esthetic reasons, isn't it only causing Police to direct more attention to your vehicle/plate number? It is screaming "Run my plate for checks!"
Well its not like i'm a criminal on the loose or something lol, some people like me likes brighter white licence plate lights
Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

mine are similarly bright and nobody has ever had any issues with them, they've been on for maybe 2 years now?
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

With that many SMDs in there, it's pretty bright. This depends on the on which LED chip being used (you get the known lumen's off that) multiplied by the LEDs.

At least you blocked 2/3rds of it to make it more realistic but may need to block more so it does not look like the catches people's attention.
Sango is offline   Reply With Quote