REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Fanboys Rejoice! Mazda is Building Another Mistake (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687367-fanboys-rejoice-mazda-building-another-mistake.html)

UFO 08-18-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwy (Post 8302814)
I think the car will be aimed more towards the next Nissan Z rather than the GT-R.

I think the new motor should go into a Miata sized sportscar/roadster to compete with the FRS/BRZ, the Miata is about due for an overhaul anyways. Maybe offer the new rotary engine as a 'purists' trim and also have their more conventional motors alongside in other trims. Give the new motor best chance for success in a smaller chassis.

Gridlock 08-18-2013 08:55 AM

So like the RX5 Miata?

Neva 08-18-2013 09:22 AM

FD's aren't much bigger than miatas anyway so something based off that would be nice. A little longer on the wheel base of a miata would be super.

Timpo 08-18-2013 10:25 AM

Mazda needs LFA, GT-R and NSX competitor...

Mid engine, 4 rotor NA

http://dailyinspires.com/wp-content/...-Wallpaper.jpg

dared3vil0 08-18-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8303133)
Mazda needs LFA, GT-R and NSX competitor...

Mid engine, 4 rotor NA

http://dailyinspires.com/wp-content/...-Wallpaper.jpg

:rukidding:

Gridlock 08-18-2013 11:31 AM

Hi Mazda! Needin' you to design us up something pretty that costs a lot of money to make, won't sell and I can't buy because I want to trade pictures of it around on the internet.

BBMme 08-18-2013 11:46 AM

Good for them, sooner or later they will get it right. I hope
Posted via RS Mobile

supafamous 08-18-2013 06:42 PM

The current Miata rides on a shortened RX-8 chassis so it would seem that a stretched next-gen Miata chassis would easily serve as the next RX car's platform. A rotary-hybrid set up in the same vein as the Porsche 918 would seem to solve the torque problem and possibly improve fuel economy enough to make it a viable car. The Miata is getting lighter and wants to stay as a convertible so the RX would neatly serve as a high tech halo car that's still light and nimble.

Continuing to develop the rotary *is* crazy in today's economic climate (and in considering Mazda's finances) but I love that someone still wants to go against the grain.

If Mazda is really doing this then I hope they can make it work and it's a big success.

dared3vil0 08-18-2013 06:47 PM

They should have a short wheel base Miata, with the normal formula, and have a longer wheelbase, same chassis (NOT called a Miata) have it FR with the 2.0 turbo.

jaemc 08-18-2013 08:14 PM

Being a Mazda fanboy and RX-7 owner, all I can do is cross my fingers and wish they don't mess it up once again. Delay after delay of the upcoming "Mazda sports car" rumours upon rumours for years now.

The FRS / BRZ , Genesis (affordable RWD cars) market needs a new competitor.

tofu1413 08-18-2013 09:15 PM

16x... twin rotor for sure.

wont make sense for them to build a NA 3 rotor / 4 rotor... although they do sound orgasmic :sweetjesus:

Timpo 08-18-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 8303397)
16x... twin rotor for sure.

wont make sense for them to build a NA 3 rotor / 4 rotor... although they do sound orgasmic :sweetjesus:

Mazda 787B onboard lap with Johnny Herbert at Le Mans 2011 - YouTube

16x for sure?? why?

What do you mean by it won't make sense for them to build an NA 3 or 4 rotor? You mean from business perspective?
In that sense, it probably didn't make much sense for Lexus to build a $400,000 V10 supercar either.

16x won't be able to accelerate RX-7 in less than 3 seconds like new NSX or GT-R.

tofu1413 08-18-2013 11:13 PM

It makes zero sense for them to build a 3/4 rotor halo car costing $100k+

Lexus / Toyota is a much bigger company able to support a technological showcase/ halo car. Mazda isn't as big.

Look at what happened to Mazda's older high end cars? all disappeared and eventually drove Mazda to almost extinction. Cosmo and FD doesnt exist anymore for that reason.

Mazda's design philosophy for their sports cars isn't all about power and hard performance numbers, their sports cars are drivers cars with overall chassis balance and light weight.

Look at how they designed the FD. The philosophy behind it was the WWII Zero fighter, an excellent performing plane that was designed the complete opposite of the American brute of a fighter.

Go drive a GTR and find out yourself that brute power and performance numbers aren't everything.

You can never measure a balanced Sport car's Finesse.

J-Chow 08-18-2013 11:16 PM

Waiting for "SkyActive Rotary Engine" :fullofwin:

Marshall Placid 08-18-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8302670)
Enthusiasts don't mind the quirks and know what they need to do to. But even then, more than a few have accidentally flooded their engines. The majority of consumers have been rightfully spoiled by relative reliability of the piston engine that they pretty much expect the same thing from the Wankel. But guess what? The Wankel is not a piston engine...

Had a 2007 RX-8 from 2007 to 2012.

It drives very well with responsive steering (like an Evora - I test drove it last year- but less power, less exhaust noise).

So: good response, lower than expected power on the RX-8.

The engine flooded once and the warranty covered it.

Weighing the pros and cons of the RX-8, I don't regret my decision with the RX-8, and I hope the new rotary engine improves and delivers more than the old-gen rotary engine.

CorneringArtist 08-19-2013 04:04 AM

The last sedan to have a rotary was the Luce/929, but being the FC turbo motor it seemed anemic for something that heavy. If this new generation rotary gets a sedan version, I'm completely sold as I've always wanted a rotary engined vehicle, regardless of the mechanical drawbacks.
Posted via RS Mobile

dvst8 08-19-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8303472)

16x won't be able to accelerate RX-7 in less than 3 seconds like new NSX or GT-R.

It wont need to. It'll take and beat them at every corner. :)

godwin 08-19-2013 07:25 PM

You do realise what SkyActiv technology is right? It is just a finish process for all polish all frictional surfaces in order to improve efficiency. Mazda cut down from 17 machines needed to do an engine to 8, by standardizing all their component dimensions. The side benefit of that besides reducing complexity, they can add a few machines and time to polish all surfaces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Chow (Post 8303487)
Waiting for "SkyActive Rotary Engine" :fullofwin:

Gwilo 08-19-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 n r (Post 8302634)
Mazda Mistake has a nice ring to it
Posted via RS Mobile

That will be the name in Japan

Here we get numbers

Mazda 68

(missed by 1)